Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Two Hobbies?

I have wanted to learn to knit ever since I saw Princess Diana in that cute red sweater with the one black sheep. I am dating myself.

I remember not being able to find a sweater like that, so I bought a knitting pattern for it. I did not know how to knit a stitch, and I still don't, but I want to learn. I have no idea where that pattern is. I bought a How to Knit CD and a knitting kit from Walmart. The CD is not that fantastic to me. I ended up going over to Knitting Help and watching a couple of their videos. They cover the way to hold the yarn a little more clearly IMHO. Last night I taught myself the long tail cast on (it is so fun). I am planning to teach myself the knit stitch tonight and the purl stitch later this week. I hope they go as well as the long tail cast on did. Anyway, my problem is that I feel like that by taking up knitting, I am going to fall behind in my sewing. Since I learned that I should make muslins, things have been going well lately after some rocky sewing experiences awhile back. I have quite a list of projects I want to do. I try to complete one sewing project per week, and knitting will get me off this schedule. But I don't know why I think I have to have a schedule. I have just always had this goal-oriented, competetitive personality. I have a love/hate relationship with that part of me. Sorry to wax so psychological, there.SmileyCentral.com

I taught myself a little crocheting a couple of years ago and made the cutest baby bonnet and booties, but all I could think of was that I should be sewing instead. For you ladies who have two hobbies, how do you balance them without feeling like one is taking away from the other? Of course, I may not have to worry about it--if I can't learn to knit. SmileyCentral.com

7 comments:

elbereth said...

Good question about the multi-crafting. I find that one doesn't interfere that much with the other. They all compete with work (the financially supportive kind) as far as I'm concerned! DB sometimes competes too (jk)! My time generally gets divided up between sewing, crochet (I like the efficiency of one needle :)), embroidery and house projects. I tend to save crochet & stitching for when I have to be sitting (or want to be). Sometimes I want to do something but don't want to get up and stand over a table (tracing, cutting, marking) so that's when I tend to do the others. I guess sewing gets the most devoted time and the others work their way when I'm feeling a little lazy. For me, it's nice to mix them up depending on my mood. Also, if I'm needing some feelings of completion and that sewing project is crawling I find a quick hat or scarf helps. 'Course, maybe it all promotes ADD as I don't seem to get near the work completed that others do (I'm constantly inspired by them). Good luck with the knitting! It's all great!

Sewfast said...

I loved that sweater too Rachel!!! To answer your question on more than one hobby. I do what moves me at the time (probably why I have so many projects going at once!) I try to always have some sewing project in the works, I usually do machine embroidery while I am garment sewing because I'm in the studio and can monitor the machine. I just finished a crocheted navaho afghan that I had been working on for years. I would work on it and then put it back out in the yarn bin and finally just decided that I would work on it while I watched TV. I can't just sit. And knitting or crochet projects are more portable, so maybe you could do them when you have to wait somewhere. HTH...Mary

Julia said...

When I have time to do any of my crafts, sewing seems to win out over the others. I have almost finished writing and illustrating a children's book. I think I'm procrastinating because I don't want to experience rejection if it's not as good as I think it is. But, sewing is so rewarding since I mostly sew for my grand children and they and their moms and dads show appreciation. I love it!! I think I'm going to have to go back to being retired so I can devote more time to all I like to do. I crochet a little and I know how to knit and purl but i don't know how to read a pattern for knitting or crocheting. My goal is to learn how to make tatting! When oh when will I do that?

Julia said...

Thanks for your opinion on my selections of antiques to embellish with. i think I am leaning toward the green tea towel with the yellow. i actually have two of them.

knitmachinequeen said...

With my sewing and machine knitting I find that I'm usually doing one or the other. I've actually gone months without sewing, but during that time I was knitting or vice versa. Once I get in a zone I have to work my way through. Because I also bowl, golf and ride a Harley, during the warmer months I really fall by the wayside on the "inside hobbies" with golf taking precedent over everything else. Of course my golf outfits are totally high fashion. Last year I made skirts with matching visors and embroidery and tied them together with clearance priced polo shirts.

Don't feel like you have to do it all, all the time. Know that it will be waiting for you when you get back!

Julia said...

I have one copy of the Australian Smocking magazine and need to subscribe to it. I have a subscription to Sew Beautiful, but thought it was so thoughtful of Lorraine to send me a copy.

Tanya said...

I just recently taught myself to knit--Knitting for Dummies is an awesome resource, I have been crocheting and sewing forever but I really wanted to learn to knit and now I feel complete lol. They really don't compete as much as compliment each other. You can crochet/knit anywhere where as sewing demands your full attention. I love having more than one hobby.