Saturday, February 28, 2009

Two Projects and a Sewing Lesson

PROJECT 1: McCalls 5669 and a Sewing Lesson
Before you can sew, you need to really get into the pattern and study it.



Then you need to read the instructions. Don't let difficulties like reading upside down hinder you.


I used some cheapo cotton blend fabric that I bought from Walmart back in December 2007 for this jacket. I chose to line it in ecru Imperial Batiste from my stash and purchased the ribbon from MJ Trims online. It was very easy to sew and allowed me to practice matching plaids. I am not so sure how I did but I am pretty happy with it.


Fabric



The finished product
complete review at PR

Second Project: BWOF 2-2008-123


This is my second project from BWOF 2-2008. This issue of Burda is my favorite so far. I have been subscribing since April 2008 and managed to get my hands on a copy of the February issue of that year from a nice poster at Stitcher's Guild.
I made this top from a Poorboy Knit from Fabric.com. I used a white shoestring to run through the eyelets for the neck tie. I am looking forward to wearing it with navy ankle pants this spring.
The complete review is at PR.

12 comments:

Julia said...

That jacket is adorable!!! It looks like you did a great job of matching the plaids!! The top is really cute too!!

Meg said...

Oooh love that jacket Rachel, it's adorable. The collar is just to die for! Nothing beats a fierce collar!

knitmachinequeen said...

That jacket is too cute!

Sewfast said...

I love both projects Rachel!!! Good job!

Faye Lewis said...

Both pieces are gorgeous!

Aminat said...

Wao wao, both you projects are beautiful, I love the trims you used as well. Really really love them both. Good job

Lindsay T said...

Very nice! I like them both a lot. And your cat—is that a Maine coon cat? He/she is beautiful.

Tany said...

Lovely garments, they look wonderful! The jacket turned out really fabulous, well done!

Faye Lewis said...

Hey there, I've left an award for you on my blog.

Meg said...

Hey Rachel, everytime I look at the picture of your cat I crack up! Check out my blog to see the award I've sent your way.

Tanya said...

Very cute jacket, I want one. I like the top too.

BeeBee said...

Both projects turned out cute. But then you did have some stellar assistance.