Saturday, March 14, 2009

Kwik Sew 3578

I bought this dress pattern after seeing a Banana Republic dress last year with a similar neckline. I was even more excited when the Kwik Sew pattern had the added bonus of a cute keyhole neck closing at the back.
This is the first Kwik Sew pattern I have made and these are the best instructions and illustrations of any any pattern I have ever done. They were super easy to follow. I did not like the 1/4" seam allowances. I am so used to 5/8" seams that the next time I make a Kwik Sew, I will increase the seam allowance. I think this pattern runs big, because I am a small according to the measurements given on the pattern, but I needed to XS. I love the pleating at the neckline. I have seen that on several garments this spring and it seems to be popular. It looks like I have an extra pleat up the center, but that is just a wrinkle I need to iron. I did iron it, but I am a terrible ironer.
I used a fuschia cotton knit from Fabrics.com. I really like the brightness of that color. I did not add elastic at the waist as the pattern called for. I really don't like putting elastic in so I avoid it when possible. I just gathered it instead. Also, I did not stitch in the ditch as the pattern said to do after sewing the facings in--I just hand sewed the facings and the bindings down on the inside of the dress. I am terrible at stitching in the ditch. I think this will be a great summer dress to wear to work on Fridays or to church on Sunday nights.

I promise it is not as tight on me as it is on Lady Burgundy, my dress form. I need to readjust her measurements. I think they have gotten a little off from me moving her around to pose her for pics. The full review is a patternreview.com.

13 comments:

Meg said...

Ooo love that dress! Pink is my fave colour and that neckline is adorable!

Faye Lewis said...

That is a very cute dress.

knitmachinequeen said...

Nice dress!

Julia said...

I love that dress so much. It looks comfy!! It looks very nice for work any day of the week or for church on Sunday morning; at least at my church it would be ok. We are very informal. Knits are not easy, but you di a great job on this.

Christina said...

What a pretty dress. It does look like BR's style.

Shannon said...

What a wonderful springy colour! Your dress is fabulous.

Erica B. said...

Cute dress!

Omega said...

Cute dress, I really like the pattern.

Lindsay T said...

I always thought that was a cute pattern and you proved it. Nice!

Cennetta said...

Cute dress, Rachel. Perfect for spring/summer. I'll have to pick this one up at the next sale.

Cindy Ann said...

What a cute dress! I somehow missed that one, but I think I need it in my pattern stash. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Tany said...

I love it, both the model and the color! It looks awesome!

elbereth said...

Fabulous dress!