Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tribute to my husband...and new sewing goodies

When I first began wanting to learn to sewing, my husband was my biggest supporter. I started out with a basic sewing machine that he bought me from Walmart. It was perfect for a beginner. I never really did anything with it until I started taking sewing classes in 1999. My neighbor was taking the smocking/sewing class, and she invited me. She said they were having a Saturday Basic Smocking class, so I went. Well, I was hooked. I started taking the weekly class which was much more than just smocking. The teacher taught you to do whatever you wanted. Well, I learned how to make and smock a basic bishop dress and basic dress.


bishop dress upclose of neckline


yoke dress
I soon began to learn lace shaping, madeira applique, shadow embroider...basically alot of heirloom sewing. I finally decided I needed to sew for myself so I started with simple skirts, dresses, etc. Many of the ladies in the class told me I needed a serger. Also they were all into machine embroidery. I bought one of my fellow classmates used Babylock Esante, and my husband surprised me with a new Babylock Imagine Serger and palette. Later on we bought the Elna 6500 Heirloom Edition since I was doing so much of that type of sewing.
My husband has always been selfless and giving to me. He truly exhibits Ephesians 5:25. This is not to mention the pleating machine and various other sundries he has been so supportive in me buying.
Well, in the almost 15 years we have been married, he has been through alot. After suffering with severe sinus infections throughout the first 8 to 9 years of our marriage, he underwent sinus surgery. What was supposed to have kept him out of work for a week or two kept him out for 3 months. He was one of that 15 % that got a sinus infection right after surgery. He wasn't back at work very long until he came down with what he and I, affectionately call, "the mystery illness." Our family doctor finally diagnosed it as either West Nile Virus or some other disease that you get from a tick. He began treating him for both and it wasn't until he prayed in his office with my husband that he started getting better. About 1.5 years ago, he went to our family doctor for a routine blood pressure checkup and asked him to examine a lump. It turned out to be testicular cancer. Praise God it was in the early stage and the doctor's were able to surgically remove the tumor. He underwent 18 radiation treatments as a precaution. As of today, he doesn't have cancer and we give God all the credit and praise for His goodness in our lives. I stand amazed at God's mercy and grace in my life and his.
Well, it has been 10 years since I got my Esante, Imagine Serger, and Palette. Lately I have been feeling the need for an upgrade. Yesterday we took my serger to get it serviced. While I was in the store, I asked them how much a the new Esante Embroidery machine, Evolve Serger (which also coverstitches), and the new Palette would cost. They quoted me a price and I told them I would think about it for next summer. When we got in the truck, my husband said, "well, you know how the economy is and we can get the package for that price now. Next summer, it may be higher" I looked at him and said, "Are you really serious about me getting this?" and he said yes. Well, we marched right back in and he bought me the whole package. I stand amazed at God's goodness to me not only in big ways, but in the many small ways. He has blessed me with the best husband on the face of this earth. It is not because he bought me this package I wanted, because I was all ready to drive away from the store and think about it for next summer (the big 4-0 birthday summer). It is just his all around selflessness. I am a terrible housekeeper---he doesn't complain. I am many times immature---he doesn't complain. He builds me up instead of tearing me down. I could go on and on.
Now let me show you what I got. These are not my pics. I have the Esante at home, but I am waiting for the Serger and Palette to come in from order. Here they are:





























10 comments:

gwensews said...

You are indeed, blessed. Wishing your husband good health, and have fun with the new machines@

Julia said...

You are blessed, but so is your husband. To have a wife who has endured so much with him and to have supported him through all these illnesses. The caretaker sometimes is worse off than the patient. I'm sure he feels that you have gone beyond your call of duty and that you deserve whatever he can do for you to make you happy.

Sewfast said...

What a wonderful man you have for a husband! You will love the Evolve. It's the best serger I have ever owned...the jet air threading is fabulous and once you get used to the conversion to the coverstitch, it's quick and easy to change over. Enjoy!

Meg said...

Oh my gosh awesome machine! and I'm so jealous of your ability to smock! i've been wanting to learn for soooo long. Meanwhile, praise God for your husbands health! That's wonderful! And I'm sure he feels just as blessed for having you as you do for having him :)

Linda said...

Wow, what a great post. I am so happy for you. The smocked dresses are beautiful. Enjoy your new machines and software program!!!

Faye Lewis said...

Praise God for the Husband and the machines, I ain't mad at you! Well, just a little bit (lol).

Aminat said...

You just got a wonderful machine from a wonderful man and we cant wait to seeing all your wonderful projects. You both are meant for each other. Have a lovely week

Cennetta said...

Praise God for his healing power. You are blessed to have a wonderful selfless husband. Give thanks and God continued blessings on your family.

Tany said...

You are blessed. Enjoy the new sewing machines!

Julia said...

Check out my blog to see the award that is coming your way.