Monday, May 4, 2009

Simplicity 2724 - a belated Easter dress post






I vowed to myself when I started blogging that I would not go more than a week without and entry, but it has just been hectic around here. We are finishing up our semester and I have been grading papers and getting final exams made out. Whew!! I am ready to put this semester to bed.

My Easter dress was Simplicity 2724. This is a Project Runway Simplicity pattern, and I have decided that I don't like them. I love the dress, just not the way the pattern is put together. It calls for far too much yardage than you really need, but since I am a by the book person, I ordered all of it. Now I have enough left to make a blouse. I also hated having to figure out which collar, bodice, etc I was supposed to use. I wish they would just do different views like in their other patterns, but then I guess they couldn't call it Project Runway.

I made the dress from a bright yellow rayon from Fashion Fabrics Club online. It was really slippery and slide-y. Does anyone have any hints for working with slippery fabric? I also inserted my first ever side zipper.

The only real alteration I made was that I lined it. I just used some basic polyester lining from my local fabric shop. I wore it with some tan peeptoe slingbacks and some light blue beads. I don't have on the beads in the pic, though.

My favorite thing about this dress is the ruffle down the front. My least favorite feature are the pleats in the back skirt. They are just like the pleats in the front--not a good look for my rear end. If I make this again in the future, I will eliminate those back pleats.



11 comments:

knitmachinequeen said...

I love the dress. I have several of the Project Runway patterns and in my mind I know that the different elements call for too much yardage. I'll be starting on my first Runway project next week. Hope it doesn't turn in to a wadder.

superwoman_4002 said...

The dress is beautiful!! :D It makes me want to learn how to sew! lol... might as well right? ;)

Aminat said...

That is one beautiful dress on you, the color really suits you.. Love it

Julia said...

I love, love, love that dress! Yellow is one of my favorite colors! Great job!

Cennetta said...

Beautiful dress. Superb job on the ruffle.

Meem said...

You rock this dress - great work!

As for working with slipperies, the best things I have found are pattern adhesive spray (202 Spray and Fix) when cutting so the thing DOES NOT MOVE, and basting. I baste every seam. It takes a little longer, but perfect results are always worth it.

SherryV

Meg said...

The dress looks great. I find the project runway patterns highly annoying also.

Shannon said...

I'm not normally a fan of ruffles, but I think you may have changed my mind with your dress. It is beautiful - the yellow is just lovely!

Megan said...

Rachel I love that dress!!! It is totally adorable! Now I want a yellow ruffly dress

Handmade said...

Looks great - well done!

Tany said...

The dress turned out wonderful! I really love it! I have this pattern; so it's good to know about the yardage issue. Thanks for sharing!