Friday, June 19, 2009

The dress that became a top - Simplicity 3560

Last year I fell in love with Simplicity 3560. I decided to make the version with the keyhole neckline and ruffle. I omitted the sleeves and made a knee length dress.


Unfortunately, as you can see in these pictures. It wasn't a good marriage of fabric and pattern. The ruffle around the neck is some black silk charmeuse I got from fashionfabricsclub.com. I underlined the dress with some basic ecru color polyester lining and put a hidden zipper in the back.
I just did not like the way the dress hang. I had been wanting to use the beautiful silk charmeuse that I had gotten from fashionistafabrics.com, but I unfortunately chose the wrong pattern for it. I think a linen or cotton --something with a little more body--would work better with this pattern. It lay in my UFO stash for about a year, and last week I decided to cut the skirt off and make it into a top. I am much happier.
The entire outfit I wore is below.

10 comments:

knitmachinequeen said...

I love that fabric! Glad you could refashion it.

Erica B. said...

Glad you were able to save it. Such great fabric to go to waste!

Meg said...

You did a great job at saving that one.

Gail said...

I actually liked the dress in the picture but if is not comfortable, you'll never wear. I'm planning to do the same with a dress I made that just doesn't have the weight in it to hand right.

gwensews said...

Great save! You know--when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Leslie said...

This looks great as a top! Nice save.

2BSewing: said...

I love your refashioned top. You look very chic! :)

Julia said...

Great top! I'm glad you were able to refashion the dress into something you felt more comfortable with. It looks great. I really like that fabric alot! Maybe you can still do something with the fabric that you cut off.

Julia said...

Thanks for your kind comments and thoughts during this time of my mother's illness. She is better. It's heartwarming to know that others who have been there know what it's like and can send good vibes this way. Thank you.

Tany said...

The top came out fabulous! Great save!