Monday, June 29, 2009

McCalls 5853, Knitting, and something extra



Awhile back I made a pair of pants but have not been able to figure out a top to wear with them. I finally decided on making McCalls 5853, View B. I used a stretch rayon blend jersey knit from fabric .com.

This fabric loves to curl at the edges when you are trying to sew it. I sewed it straight from the pattern except that I raised the neckline in the back so that it lays right at my shoulder line. I teach in a community college and, although we don't have a dress code, I think having a u-neck in the back and front (a tank top) might be pushing the envelope, even in the summer.

I hand-stitched the neck and armhole binding down by hand. That took awhile. I also handstitched down every little leaf and flower, some in more than one place to get them to lay like I wanted.



Since the fabric is so lightweight, I was afraid that the flowers and leaves would be heavy, but they aren't. I used my Evolve serger to coverstitch the hem. Here are up close pics of the hem, inside and outsidse.



























The thread on the frontside is Maderia rayon machine embroidery thread. The thread on the underside is red serger thread--I didn't have pink. Here is the finished product.




I am currently working on knitting my first sweater, St. James. I chose this because I love the style, and it is supposed to be a good sweater for a new knitter. I am having so much fun. I am using Caron Simply Soft in Country Peach. I have about 3 or 4 stitches in my sweater that do not look completely perfect. I will probably have more before I am through. I know a couple of them is due to splitting yarn which I am trying to be very careful not to do. I am a recovering perfectionist, so I am trying not to let it bother me. I know blocking will help, even though you can't really block acrylic from what I understand. Anyway, I have the yoke done and am about to start the body. Here is a pic of where I am:


A little something extra:
Here is a dress I smocked and constructed for a friend of mine. It is made out of purple Imperial broadcloth.


17 comments:

Meg said...

I love that top!! It's so gorgeous and girly without being over the top!

gwensews said...

Your top is cute--something a little different than the usual tank. Love your smocking! That's beautiful work. Once your sweater is finished, you won't see a little irregularity in it.

Lindsay T said...

Wow, you're doing some gorgeous work here!

Julia said...

That is one feminine top. i love it. That yarn is really a pretty color. That little dress is to die for.

Trina said...

That pink top is gorgeous! And I love the colour you chose for your St James - acrylic yarn blocks a bit, but you just have to be prepared to leave it alone for a while, longer than you normally would. It looks much better after a good wash though, so i'm sure it will be fine :)

Cindy said...

Very cute ruffles!! It looks great. I have been wanting ruffles lately! Great job.

Sew-Ann said...

I've been marinating on making a type with a diagonal ruffle for awhile but thought it would be lame on me. Looks very nice on you and that sweater is chic!!.

Rachel said...

Wow - that is a GREAT top! I love it!

Did you ever notice how many creative 'Rachels' there are? Really!

2BSewing: said...

Beautiful knit top! Love the color. You are doing great with St James. I agree with you about not giving into fear when knitting. I have also stopped looking at experience level. If I see something that catches my eye...I'm going to knit it and learn something new. ;)

Christina said...

Your top looks great!! I like how you arranged the flowers a bit diagonal.

Shannon said...

LOVE the pink top and the smocked dress is beautiful!

Sigrid said...

Great top. love the leaves on it.

Tany said...

I'm totaly in love with your pink top!

The dress looks wonderful too, great choice of fabric/color!

Handmade said...

Lovely Smocking!

Jasmine's Mommy said...

What a beautiful shirt, I love the ruffles. I wish I was more experienced in sewing! I still have fabric I got from Mother's Day that I want to sew into a top!

Your sweater is coming along nicely. Peach is a great color!

Julia said...

If you want a purse organizer made by me send me your address to my email. reedyj1@yahoo.com

Gertie said...

Love the pink top! Very Anthropologie.