Monday, July 20, 2009

BWOF 2-2009-121 or my version of it






























When I first laid eyes on this lovely dress in BWOF 2-2009-121, I wanted it. I bought some lovely polyester fabric from Hancock's. As you will see later, thank goodness I didn't buy silk. I had my eye on the red with small white polka dot fabric for awhile, and got it on sale. The dress was extrememly easy to make. I followed the instructions exactly. The sleeve instructions made me scratch my head, but I got them figured out. I could envision myself walking into choir on Sunday morning at church as this dress floated along with me. I imagined everyone saying, "That dress is so lovely, did you make it?" To which I would respond, coyly, "Well, yes." I wanted it so badly! Well, as my mother-in-law used to say, "Want in one hand and spit in the other and see which one fills up the quickest."


Here is what my version came out looking like:



It makes me look like a giraffe. My legs look a mile long, and not in a good way. The elastic is too loose in the waist as you can see in the pic. I made a mistake in cutting out the dress, but I actually think it saved the dress from being worse. The instructions said to cut the fabric for the front and back on the bias, but on the pattern pieces "cut on fold" was written. I could not figure out how in the world you could cut something on the fold and on the bias. Well, I just cut in on the fold. If I bad bothered to look at the pattern layout (NOT!) I would have seen how to do this. Can you imagine how badly it would have looked cut on the bias???--then I would have looked like a pregnant giraffe. I decided that nothing could fix it.

I did not want to waste the beautiful fabric, so I tightened the elastic at the waist and just cut it off and hemmed it to make a top:



I haven't decided if I am going to make the sash to go around the waist, yet.
On another note, I am ready to start sewing for Fall. My Spring sewing mojo has just flown out the window. I just ordered two beautiful brightly colored wools from fabric.com. I am imagining brightly colored skirts, a la J Crew. Happy Sewing!!

10 comments:

Andrea said...

You never know how a pattern will look on you until you sew it and try it on. I like how you salvage your project. The fabric is beautiful, and I think you did a great job.

gwensews said...

Sewing is a mystery sometimes. Nice save though. It made a cute top.

Gail said...

You have highlighted why sometimes it is a good idea to make a muslin. I've also taken to trying on different styles of dresses to see what shapes work best. Do it in a department store where there is no pushy sales girl to talk you into buying something that you plan to make.

Shannon said...

Don't you just hate when the vision in your head doesn't translate into reality? I've been there!

At least you got a cute top out of the experience. Wish I could say my bad projects have ended so favourably!

2BSewing: said...

Nice save. Your top is cute! My Spring and Summer sewing mojo never arrived. Fall might be iffy for me. ;)

Sew-Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sew-Ann said...

Rachel I don't think those books could help with that, this is more of a craft thing. I found this for you though.

http://www.martinmeyerimports.com/browse2.asp If the colors they have don't work for you try googling "flower stamens".

Sew-Ann said...

You're very welcome and I can't to see your top.

Susan said...

I think you made a great choice with the top conversion. Sometimes our plans don't work out but a fix like this is great!

Tamara said...

What a disappointment on the dress. You did end up with a really cute top though!