Friday, July 10, 2009

New Look 6429 - a Pucci-esque dress












I have long been in love with New Look 6429. When I saw this gorgeous ITY jersey on fashionfabricsclub.com, I new I would use it to make this dress. It made me think of Pucci fabric, which I love. Let me tell you that it gave me fits. It was terrible about rolling up on the edges. Anybody have any hints on how to deal with that? I hope this is not the norm with ITY fabrics. This is the first one I have ever sewn and they are so pretty that I want to sew more. I have one more sitting in my closet in my stash. However, if they all roll up that way, the next one may be my last. Here is a closeup of the fabric.



Upon reading reviews of New Look 6429 on patternreview, I was concerned because so many people had fitting issues with it. I usually never make a muslin when I am sewing jersey, because I just measure across bust on the pattern to get the finished size. Then I make the same size as my bust measurement. I decided to make a muslin and I did not have any sizing problems. I cut a size 10. I did not make any alterations to the size I cut. I sewed it straight from the pattern instructions. I serged the hem and the sleeve edges and turned them under and stitched them down. I always use a walking foot when I sew jersey because it feeds evenly through the sewing machine. I love this dress and it is a good addition to my church/work wardrobe.
Here is the back view. I love the way it comes to a point in the back.


20 comments:

Sewfast said...

Your dress is lovely...makes me want to go right out and buy that pattern now and I love the fabric...sure can't tell that it gave you fits by the finished product...you did a great job!

Mountain Thyme said...

But you did such a great job! Maybe it was worth all the trouble? Eh? Maybe? I love the fabric and the length seems just right for your figure and height.

Adrienne said...

Very pretty!

lexa said...

I love it! Love that material.

Faye Lewis said...

The fabric is so BEAUTIFUL! You did a great job.

gwensews said...

I do have a solution to the rolling fabric. Spray starch and iron dry the fabric edges. I do that with any knits that roll, such as jersey. Cute dress. Love that print!

Handmade said...

Ah - it looks great -I've also made this pattern and was very happy with it - it has a lovely cut! Cool fabric.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Love the dress and the print.

Andrea said...

You did a really nice job on that dress. It looks lovely on you, and I am really digging the shoes. Love Them!!

Sigrid said...

Lovely dress. I'm going to order that pattern now.

Gertie said...

Cute dress! That fabric makes me happy. :)

One thing I do with knits is to fuse tricot interfacing into the hem, which makes it easy to deal with. Then I just turn up the hem and stitch with a double needle. You might try using stips of tricot along all the edges to stabilize them and prevent rolling and stretching. Just a thought! The spray starch hint is a great one too.

Lori said...

Cute dress, great fabric.

Gail said...

Well done. This style really works for you.

Tany said...

I love it, so feminine and summery! The fabric is TDF!

Julia said...

The dress looks better on you than on the pattern picture!

Lindsay T said...

Wow, this looks fabulous on you! Nice work!

Miss Linda said...

Oh I just love that fabric! You did a wonderful job on that dress. I have a couple of New Look patterns that I haven't yet made up. Your dress has inspired me to go take a look at those patterns again and make something!

Jasmine's Mommy said...

What a gorgeous dress! You are inspiring me to sew.

Keiler said...

looks fantastic! that's a great pattern.

Cennetta said...

Looking good. I really like this pattern too. And your dress is perfect.