Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Blue & white porcelain dress...B5243 and some knitting

I fell in love with this blue and white ITY jersey on fashionfabricsclub.com a few months ago. It reminds me of blue and white porcelain, which I love. I immediately bought it and let it sit in my stash until I decided what pattern to use for it. I finally chose View A of B5243. I made a modification in the way I seamed the pattern pieces together. The pattern has you seam the sides of the front and back bodices, the sides of the "shirred" waistband pieces, and the sides of the front and back skirts. Then you put them all together by horizontally seaming. This jersey did not roll up on the edges like the ITY "pucci" jersey I used to make a dress a couple of posts back.
I did not horizontally seam it like the pattern instructions said. I seamed the sides of the bodice pieces almost to the bottom and left about an inch unsewn. Then I sewed the waistband pieces to the bottom of each bodice and the skirts to the bottom of each waist band piece. Finally I seamed it up the side. The first time I made this dress in View B (see pic below) , I did it according to pattern instructions. I managed to get it over my head, but I thought my husband was going to have to cut me out of it for me to get it off. After doing some contortions that I did not know my body was capable of doing, I got it off. I went back and ripped out seams and did it according to my modifications above. It went over my head and came off much easier.

I made the above dress before I started blogging so that is why you haven't seen it. It is made from a medium weight knit that I bought at my local fabric store. The first time I saw it, I thought it was denim until I touched it. Here is an upclose pic.



The shoes I am wearing with my new dress are these Target patent peeptoes. The shoes I wear with the older dress are some Seychelles navy patent wedges--no close up of them.



I have also been knitting. I am a new knitter who has been knitting about 6 months. I am not one to stay in shallow water very long, so I leapt off the diving board and knitted my first sweater. The name of the pattern is St. James. There are some mistakes in it, but I am just so happy it fits and that I actually got my gauge correct. WHEW!!! I used Caron Simply Soft in country peach. It is drying on a trash bag in this pic.




The skirt I am wearing it with it one I made several years ago. I don't remember the pattern, but I don't wear it much because it is made of wool crepe, a fabric I have discovered I don't really care for.





Now onto the shoes, of course. :) They are some very inexpensive knockoffs from Alloy of some much more expensive (and not affordable for me) Miu Miu shoes from a couple of years ago.





Lastly, I have been so inspired by the nail polish posts of Shannon and Cidell, that I decided to post my fingernails. The color is Parlez-Vous OPI?. It is a smoky violet and I love interesting nail polish colors. Over the years I have collected about 100 bottles of OPI.


Until next time, God Bless You!!

15 comments:

Sew-Ann said...

The peach and green is fab!! The sweater itself is really, really nice. And all of the shoes are great.

Nice post all around.

Erica B. said...

Everything looks great! I want to do some knitting for Fall. Hopefully, I'll get around to it.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I really love that sweater. You did a great job.

Shannon said...

Great new garments! Love the shoes and the nails too!

Trina said...

Those dressed look stunning! And your sweater came out really really well, you must be so pleased! What's next on your knitting queue?

Gail said...

I enjoyed this post - let the shoe lovers of the world unite. The dresses are both very stylish. I hope that Target in the land of Oz will stock the red shoes. I really loved the two tone caramel one too.

gwensews said...

Both dresses are very pretty. One for summer, one for winter. Your sweater is lovely also. Nice knitting! And oh, those shoes---!!!

Linda said...

Love, love, love the shoes!!!! I really like your dresses as well, but I have a thing for shoes. A girl can never have too many.

Tanya said...

Love your first sweater, I can't believe it's
your first, it looks great. Also love the dress and shoes, great knock offs.

2BSewing: said...

Your sweater is beautiful! It fits you perfectly. A fantastic first. :)

Lindsay T said...

You are a new knitter and you made that sweater?! Wow! I am very impressed with you.

Liana said...

Congratulations on your first finished sweater! It looks great, and I know it won't be your last. Very nice!

Tany said...

WOW, you have been busy! Both dress and sweater look wonderful!!

Sew-Ann said...

Rachel you won gift basket 1, the one containing the Amy Butler pattern, on my site. Hit me up and let me know where to send it and I will get on it.

Heather said...

Hi Rachel
Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog. It looks to me that you are doing great with teaching yourself to knit. Love that peachy sweater.