Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I want this skirt !!!!!!!!!


This is the Fluttering Pencil Skirt from anthropologie. There is one small problem---$158. I should never go look on that website. I see too many things I want. I have been stewing for awhile on how to knock it off. I asked for help on pattern review and there were several suggestions made for patterns. NL6897, View E and Vogue 8129. The Vogue pattern seems to fit better because it has a waist band that I could manupilate to make it V downward toward the ruffle.
Here is my dilemma: The ruffle on the anthropolgie skirt seems "flouncier" than the Vogue ruffle, but then I may be imagining things. How would I make the ruffle on the Vogue flouncier? Also, there are little "tucks" (is that the appropriate term?) on the left side of the anthropologie skirt. That is the left if you are facing the skirt. You can also see it on the back of the skirt looking at the right side of the skirt in the picture. It looks like the skirt has just been folded in the seam. Is that what you see? If anyone could offer any websites or tutorial on how I might use this Vogue to knock this off, I would be so appreciative.

5 comments:

Sew-Ann said...

Others may have better advice but I don't see a side seam on this skirt. It looks like there is only one seam and it's in the back where the ruffle is placed. I don't see a difference in flounce on either this one or the vogue. As for the NL I wouldn't use either view to copy this skirt.

I remember from the Burdastyle coffee date dress that you just make a template on the dress itself then lay the ruffle on the line template and stitch down. Could be the same for this skirt but I believe you would have to stitch one edge of the ruffle to one side of the back seam. You could make the template on that one side and mirror it on the other side or shall I saw continue the line from one side to the other. Maybe some hooks or snaps holds the ruffle to the other side. You could place them on each point on the line template for the opposite side of the skirt.

This may not be how the skirt is constructed. Just an Idea for you. Also maybe the ruffle is detachable altogether and you add it after putting the skirt on. It attaches by hooks or snaps. If you are using snaps or hooks it would be best to use some smaller in size so that they wouldn't be tough to sit on. Also weight and padding of fabric could hurt or help that issue.

For the side detail of the skirt, you could drape this skirt since it's 1 seam. The amount of fabric used would need to have enough ease for the amount of ruching of sorts to make the side look like this one. Once you get the ruching right you can sew or tack them down (whatever term you like) by pinning them down first while you have it on then taking it off then running to the machine. Once you did that you would remove excess from the back and other side before making the back seam by draping it on again with the ruched side sewn down then pinning out the excess fabric.

Just some ideas. Maybe others will have some simpler ones. I tend to think all complicated like.

Gail said...

I think that you could make this fairly easily. BWOF has a number of dresses with side gathers - change the gather to pleats and you have it. www.ericabunker.com made a skirt with a side flounce some time back. She usually provides very good construction detail.

julia said...

That is a really nice skirt. I have no offers of help though, since I only sew for kiddies. by the way thanks for all your nice comments on my blog. I love hearing from you.

Trudy Callan said...

I love that skirt too.

You have a great blog. I'd love for you to come and visit my blog. I just made a Vintage Vogue Original 1944 Design, V2858. On the previous page you'll find a dress I made from an original 1974 pattern that I found in an antique store. I call that post The Lady in Lavender. And lots of other things in between. Hope you enjoy.

Andrea said...

That skirt is beautiful and between the 2 patterns I think I like the Vogue pattern better. I also recall Erica Bunker making a skirt similar to this. You should definitely check out her blog.