Sunday, August 30, 2009

My first Knipmode

I became enchanted with Knipmode when I saw the skirt Cidell made from a Knipmode. Then I saw the line drawing for this dress. in the Feb 2009 Knipmode The open back is so pretty to me. That is when I went on the hunt for the two Knipmodes that had these patterns.
I searched on ebay and found a seller for the Feb 2009 issue with the dress. It was a little harder to find the one with the skirt, but I came across it. It took me awhile to figure out what fabric I wanted to use for my dress. I came across this lovely fabric at Fabric Mart on deep discount. I don't see it on there anymore but I bought about 6 yards of it because it was $1.99/yard. I am planning to make a skirt, too. When I bought the fabric, I did not have this dress in mind and asked for help on Stitchers Guild. I love that forum. Several suggested a sheath dress and that is when I thought about my Knipmode.

I had never sewn a Knipmode before so I went to Google translate and started translating Dutch to English. As you see in the pic below, I mistranslated the fabric as "stretchable knit." . Thankfully I sought more help on Stitchers Guild and patternreview and learned it was just saying use fabric with stretch in it. This fabric is 97% cotton/3% lycra. It is just as beautiful and in person as it is in the pic. I used lining with 2% lycra(or spandex) for the inside of the dress.




I cut a size 38 and added 5/8" seams like I do with BWOF dresses. However, I had to take a 3/8" seam in the bodice so I could breathe. I also tapered inward toward the neck at the back neck seam from 5/8" to 1" because of gaposis. I am still not a pro at invisible zippers. There is one at the left side on this dress. I have a slight pucker at the bottom that is not noticeable with the print of the fabric. Anybody got any invisible zipper tricks to share? Also, I shortened the dress to the knee. The pattern is to the ankle as you can see on the Knipmode model. Here is a pic of a little of the inside of my dress:


And now, for the most important part of any outfit, the shoes. These are the perfect shade of tiffany blue suede. They are Nine West "James"



21 comments:

Veronica said...

Great job on the dress, it fits you perfect and those shoes were made just for it.

BeeBee said...

Very pretty. Great choice for the fabric. I was wondering what you'd decided to do with it. And the shoes, well, no words....

Sewfast said...

Simply gorgeous!!! I wish I had bought some of that fabric and now to look for that Knip Mode...

Gail said...

Nice dress. Is Knip Mode an offshoot of BWOF?

gwensews said...

Beautiful dress. Shoes--awesome!

2BSewing: said...

The dress is simply awesome on you! Perfect! Nice shoes!

Amanda S. said...

WOW! I love the dress AND the shoes. Great job on an extremely cute pattern.

Trina said...

Gorgeous dress! And I love those shoes :)

Erica B. said...

Love that dress! And the shoes are TDF!

Stash said...

That is adorable! Great choices and execution.

Marybeth said...

GORGEOUS! I love the back... And the fabric is so pretty... Great job!!!

Sew-Ann said...

Nice move on shortening the dress. I would have passed this fabric like much of the stuff on that site. You worked it marvelously. The match with the shoes is so fab.

Tamara said...

Beautiful dress! I love the fabric. I think your shortened version looks great on you.

julia said...

That is one beautiful and classy dress! What wonderful shoes!You look fantastic!!!

Andrea said...

You are definitely working that dress. It's lovely. As for the shoes, well, I don't think I have to say anything. =)

Aminat said...

....and that is one beautiful dress, and the shoes are TDF.....Really love the combination

Shannon said...

What an elegant dress! It's classic with a twist!

Trudy Callan said...

This is a really beautiful dress. The fabric is gorgeous. I have not sewn with Knip Mode patterns yet.

Jenny said...

Beautiful fabric, dress and shoes! Love your whole outfit.

Miss Linda said...

You did a beautiful job on that dress. And those shoes? To DIE for!!!

Marita said...

Perfect combo. the dress is SOOOO!!! pretty and you found great shoes for it (love that color), DD likes her Nine Wests, she says she can actually walk with them although they are pretty high.