Thursday, November 19, 2009

Another anthropologie knock off--Simplicity 2605 & McCalls 5936

I fell in love with another anthropologie skirt awhile back--the Leifsdottir Honeyed Peplum Skirt. The minute I saw the name "Leifsdottir" I knew it was expensive. The retail price was $268. Leifsdottir makes gorgeous and unique, but overpriced clothing IMHO. Here are the stock pictures from anthropologie:



I decided to knock it off. I really didn't want the gold color but chose to make a purple one instead. I found this gorgeous purple 100% wool flannel fabric on sale at fabric.com during one of their clearances and decided to use it for the skirt.

I began with Simplicity 2605, view F.



























Then, I morphed the peplum piece from McCalls 5936 onto the waist of the skirt. I had to lengthen the peplum in order for it to be long enough to go around the skirt and also, I cut it in half in the back since my skirt zips up the back. Here are McCalls 5936 line drawings.




This is what I came up with:


















Closeup of front peplum, front buttons, and back covered buttons:



My front peplum doesn't have pleats in it like the anthropologie skirt, and I like that better. Also, my back peplum is "flouncier", and I like that better, too. My buttons are tortoise shell-ish buttons from my local fabric shop.






I used some basic polyester lining that I bought at my local fabric shop for the inside. They didn't have purple, and beggars can't be choosers, since I have no Hancock's in this podunk town I live in. Also, I didn't want to wait to order any online. I decided to just use the color of a basic slip.
































I did not make any alterations to the actual skirt. My only alterations were to the peplum so that it would work for the skirt. Here is a picture of my outfit with the skirt:




I will give outfit details. I love looking at fashion blogs and always appreciate when outfit details are given.
Black cardigan: Delias
Scattered petals camisole: JCrew (on sale -- I feel like I need to say that since I commented about Leifsdottir being expensive )
necklace: Avon (gift from my mother from about 20 years ago)
leopard heels: Nine West
Speaking of the heels, I leave you with a closeup:





26 comments:

Gail said...

Just fabulous. I love the shoes too!

Gertie said...

Adorable! Even cuter than the Anthro skirt!

gwensews said...

That is totally cute!

Aminat said...

Absolutely gorgeous..... I love those shoes

Lori said...

Fabulous job, the shoes are great, too.

julia said...

That is a fabulous skirt. I love the color and the style is perfect for you. The shoes are wonderful too. I couldn't wear them, but they are great with this outfit.

Julie said...

such a gorgeous skirt, and those shoes are awesome!!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I don't know which I like more...the skirt or the shoes!

Marybeth said...

Wow! A DOR A BLE! You do such a great job with those knockoffs - I love reading about them. Also, love the shirt AND the SHOES!!! Great job of sewing and styling...

2BSewing: said...

Beautiful skirt and great idea! BTW...I left you a response to your knitting comment on my blog. ;)

Christina said...

What a gorgeous skirt! You totally nailed this look, so girlie and fun.

Kathi said...

Your knock off is much cuter than the real one!! I LOVE the color! The shoes are also great!

Tanya said...

Beautiful. That's a knock out of a knock off lol. I like yours better.

Sue said...

Great skirt, terrific outfit...podunk? haven't come across that one before...

Nadja W. said...

I loved it! I might have to try it once this semester is over...! good job!!

Trudy Callan said...

Incredible knock-off job. Gorgeous skirt.

Melinda H. said...

Very cool! :)

Heather said...

wow!! amazing job! (i found your blod through sophie's anthropologie blog.) you are such a fashionista! great outfit!!
-heather

Angela said...

Rachel,
Thanks for commenting on my blog! Wow, you are an amazing! I really need a sewing machine now. You made it look so simple. I love yours a lot more than the anthro piece, even though that is adorable too!

jacquelyn said...

Wow, great job. I wish I lived near you so I could commission you to do some pieces for me!

Danielle said...

Gorgeous! You are so talented! I'm determined to learn to sew because I can't find any great skirts that are less than 100 dollars any more. And I refuse to pay that much money when I know I can eventually do it myself! You've totally inspired me!

Christina said...

wow, great job on the skirt - I think it looks way cuter with the flouncier ruffle and the color is really pretty! I've always wanted to learn how to sew, and you're skirt is really inspiring me :o)

Taylor @ Jimmy Choos and a Baby Too said...

You are so talented! I love your blog!

jillianhinderliter said...

以簡單的行為愉悅他人的心靈,勝過千人低頭禱告。..................................................

NGLaLALa said...

Cute skirt! I was searching for blog posts on M5936 and I'm glad I came across your blog!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

That skirt is AMAZING. So jealous of it....