I was yet again perusing anthropologie.com when I shouldn't have been and saw this gorgeous "Verite Dress". I knew wasn't paying $158 for it, so I began figuring out how I would knock if off. The Selfish Seamstress and I were thinking along the same lines, because here is her version. She drafted hers from scratch, something I do not know how to do, so I started with McCalls 5881, View D. I altered this pattern to get as close to the anthropologie dress as I could. Here is the original anthropologie dress.
upclose of midsection of anthropologie dress
original anthropologie Verite Dress
First, I chopped the top of the skirt section off so that there would be a middle section and added some to the top with wax paper so that it would have a V. I also did the same in the back except I did not V the back at the top middle section.
Then I forgot to fold out the dart for the skirt section, so I just eased it when I was sewing. There was too much dart in the back skirt to fold out or ease, so I just put them in.
alterations to front
I trimmed the bottom portion of the bodice on both sides of the dart so that it would match the top of the middle section the I added a V to. I also cut the front bodice on the fold like the original Verite dress and raised the neckline so that it would not be so low cut. I cut a size 12 in the pattern, but had to taper in to take a deeper seam allowance on the sides of the front bodice. I probably should have just taught myself to do an SBA at this point, but what I did worked well enough. I interfaced the bodice and middle section and added boning to both the side seams.
The back of my dress has a middle section unlike the original Verite dress. It was a pain getting the seams to line up when I inserted the invisible zipper, but I finally did it. WHEW!!
I used a Worsted Stretch Flannel Latte from fabric.com. It is 96% wool and 4% lycra. Here is a closeup below:
I faced the bodice and middle section and lined the skirt. Here is a pic of the inside.
sorry for the wrinkles, I took this pic after wearing it today :)
And finally, here is my knockoff. It is not exactly like the Verite, because the bust darts don't go all the way to the neckline, and as I mentioned before the back is in three pieces instead of two. However, it is close enough to make me happy.
First the front and back of the dress.
I topstitched in brown Maderia machine embroidery thread.
back bodice closeup front bodice closeup
brown patent kitten heels, Target
necklace, Etsy seller
Thanks for reading. I am sorry for some of the wonky spacing in my post. i just cannot seem to make Google Blogger do spacing like I want.