Monday, January 11, 2010

Owls...1st major knitting goal


I hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and are having a Happy New Year!!! I have been absent for awhile, but I have been sewing and knitting. I have a sewing project to show you but not today because I haven't photographed it. I do have a knitting project. I began knitting 11 months ago after having wanted to most of my life. What really made me start was the desire to knit the Owls sweater by Kate Davies. I finally did it and it fits perfectly. I am so happy it fits. I learned to do short rows on this sweater, a technique that frankly I have been scared of. It wasn't bad at all. Even though you can't see them all in the photograph, I sewed buttons on all 18 owls for a total of 36 buttons. It took me 1 hr, 15 min so I hope they don't pop off. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky yarn in the color Silver Grey to make this sweater.


I kept a diary as I knitted and here it is:


I made the s/m (18 owls) exactly from the pattern with my only mod being to add an extra row of stockinette before starting owl chart.



This sweater fits perfectly. I am thankful I had no back pouf problems.


Dec 3, 2009 - cast on for small–after looking at circumference of bottom ribbing, I decided it was too small
Dec 4, 2009 - ripped out previous cast on and then cast on for s/m in an attempt to get a 34” chest.
Dec 9, 2009 - finished back waist decreases and began back waist increases
Dec 18, 2009 - finished stockinette up to armpit and began short rows to dip yoke. Hmmm…interesting that these short rows don’t seem centered, but what do I know, I have never done short rows before–I am just going with it
Dec 19, 2009 - finished body and about to start sleeves–somehow ended up with 49 stitches on front instead of 50 for a total of 107 instead of 108. I will just increase an extra stitch when I start the next row. One armhole is looking larger than the other…
Dec 26, 2009 - finished first sleeve
Dec 28, 2009 - finished second sleeve
Dec 31, 2009 - finished owl chart—I added an extra row of stockinette before I started to chart to have a good foundation row (the only mod I made)
Jan 1, 2010 - finished sweater except for sewing on buttons for eyes.. a great way to begin the new year!!!
Jan 4, 2010 - ordered 3/8” clear-ish Dill buttons (stock #79)
Jan 8, 2010 - sewed on 36 buttons in 1 hr 15 min. I hope they don’t pop off.
Jan 10, 2010- wearing sweater for the first time to church on Sunday night
viewed 34 times


Here is the back of the sweater:



18 comments:

NGLaLALa said...

Great job!

Amanda S. said...

What a great sweater! I have this pattern saved in my Ravelry favorites and like it a lot too. I, too, just learned to do short rows on the current sweater I'm knitting after being scared of them for awhile. What was so scary I wonder now. Anyway, great job. I'm hoping to get around to knitting this sometime soon.

overcaffeinated said...

Amazing! I love owls, and I love the whimsy of this sweater. You are so amazingly talented.

It's great to see you back.

gigiofca said...

Beautiful job! I love the color.

Marybeth said...

Hi! I thought you weren't blogging anymore - it's good to hear from you... Beautiful sweater... makes me want one... hmm... knitting... do I have time to learn???

gwensews said...

Great sweater. Owls--very clever. You did get a terrific fit. That's some awesome knitting.

Renee said...

I love this sweater! Knitting it is one of my goals for this year. I'm going to start as soon as I finish the slipper I'm working on now (should be tonight!). Your's looks fabulous.

Lynneb said...

Rachel it's WONDERFUL! Congratulations on a perfect knit sweater!

Christina said...

Very cool sweater, I can see why you were inspired to learn knitting!

Welcome back :)

Gail said...

Wish I could knit. it is more social than sewing and quieter too.

Ms. B said...

Gosh you're so talented! I don't think I'll ever graduate beyond knitting scarves! It's such an adorable sweater and a beautiful color!

julia said...

That is beautiful and it really does fit perfectly!!

Andrea said...

That sweater has been on my list for the longest time. I even have the yarn for it. You did a beautiful job!!!

6p00d8341c316353ef said...

Wow, the sweater looks great on you!! I must add that to my queue. Perfect fit!

6p00d8341c316353ef said...

That last comment was from me - Robin of Yarn Crawl - not sure why it's showing up as 6p00d....

tres tippy said...

hi~! i just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say, you did such an amazing job on that sweater! i've been wanting to learn how to knit for quite some time now. i hope i'll be able to learn this year. thanks for the inspiration :)

2BSewing: said...

Beautiful!!!! You did an excellent job with this sweater. It fits you perfectly. Glad to see that you are back on track with your knitting. Great job! :)

Ariana said...

Gorgeous!! This is one of my favorite things you've made!