I hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and are having a Happy New Year!!! I have been absent for awhile, but I have been sewing and knitting. I have a sewing project to show you but not today because I haven't photographed it. I do have a knitting project. I began knitting 11 months ago after having wanted to most of my life. What really made me start was the desire to knit the Owls sweater by Kate Davies. I finally did it and it fits perfectly. I am so happy it fits. I learned to do short rows on this sweater, a technique that frankly I have been scared of. It wasn't bad at all. Even though you can't see them all in the photograph, I sewed buttons on all 18 owls for a total of 36 buttons. It took me 1 hr, 15 min so I hope they don't pop off. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky yarn in the color Silver Grey to make this sweater.
I kept a diary as I knitted and here it is:
I made the s/m (18 owls) exactly from the pattern with my only mod being to add an extra row of stockinette before starting owl chart.
This sweater fits perfectly. I am thankful I had no back pouf problems.
Dec 3, 2009 - cast on for small–after looking at circumference of bottom ribbing, I decided it was too small
Dec 4, 2009 - ripped out previous cast on and then cast on for s/m in an attempt to get a 34” chest.
Dec 9, 2009 - finished back waist decreases and began back waist increases
Dec 18, 2009 - finished stockinette up to armpit and began short rows to dip yoke. Hmmm…interesting that these short rows don’t seem centered, but what do I know, I have never done short rows before–I am just going with it
Dec 19, 2009 - finished body and about to start sleeves–somehow ended up with 49 stitches on front instead of 50 for a total of 107 instead of 108. I will just increase an extra stitch when I start the next row. One armhole is looking larger than the other…
Dec 26, 2009 - finished first sleeve
Dec 28, 2009 - finished second sleeve
Dec 31, 2009 - finished owl chart—I added an extra row of stockinette before I started to chart to have a good foundation row (the only mod I made)
Jan 1, 2010 - finished sweater except for sewing on buttons for eyes.. a great way to begin the new year!!!
Jan 4, 2010 - ordered 3/8” clear-ish Dill buttons (stock #79)
Jan 8, 2010 - sewed on 36 buttons in 1 hr 15 min. I hope they don’t pop off.
Jan 10, 2010- wearing sweater for the first time to church on Sunday night
viewed 34 times
Here is the back of the sweater: