Thursday, February 18, 2010

BWOF 8-2009-117 & BWOF 11-2008-104: Sewing from my Stash

Stash Project #1: BWOF 8-2009-117

I have had a couple of pieces of fabric laying in my stash for quite sometime now and I decided to put them to use. I just love the blouse BWOF 8-2009-117 and have wanted to make it since it first came out. I know it is Burda Fashion now (I think) instead of BWOF, but at the time the mags came out, it was still BWOF.

In April 2007, I bought some silk chiffon in a confetti print with the intention of knocking off, you guessed it, an anthropologie dress. It came from fashionfabricsclub.com. I never got around to it...you know, so many anthro dresses to knock off, so little time...and so little know how so many times. I thought it would be perfect for this blouse. I have really be loving all the ruffles and flounces that have been so popular lately. Since this blouse has no zippers or buttonholes, I thought it would be perfect for this silk chiffon. I really don't like sewing chiffon so I wanted a pattern that was as painless as possible for it.

I cut my usual size 38 in Burda, but when I got this blouse made, it was too large. I kind of think it is supposed to be looking at the model, but I like my clothing more fitted.




I ended up taking an extra 5/8" seam allowance down the side and added darts to the back. I serged the seams on the inside and hand hemmed the sleeves. I used my Babylock Imagine serger to do a rolled hem on the edge of the flounce. I did a thread loop buttonhole at the front neckline. Here are some pics below of details:



























back dart rolled hem edge of flounce



thread loop buttonhole at front


Stash Project #2: BWOF 11-2008-104

I decided I needed a teal skirt. I have one, but I don't like the fabric I made it from, so I decided to make another. I have had some teal gabardine in my stash so long, I don't even remember where I got it. I think this Burda skirt pattern is sooooo cute and I have been wanting to make it. It does not call for a lining, but since I really don't like slips, I intended to line the skirt. However, for some reason I could not, for the life of me, get the lining to "line up" with the skirt. It was too small. I tried a couple of times and just gave up. Ummm, maybe there is a reason it didn't call for a lining. I don't know, so I just serged the seams on the inside of the skirt and am wearing a half slip (UGH!) I used an invisible zipper. I made it exactly by the pattern without any alterations in the size 38. Here are some pics of the front and back:





I apologize for the wrinkles in the skirt. I did iron it, but I had just been sitting in it all day at work at the time I took these pics.
P.S. Does anyone else have spacing problems with Blogger? I am hoping my picture titles end up under the pics, but they probably won't. I just don't know how to fix this. I write this blog in the"Compose" mode instead of html because I really don't know html.

24 comments:

overcaffeinated said...

Both pieces are stunning! I'm so jealous over your talent.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I love both of your "stash diving" pieces. The fabric for the blouse is great. I almost think that it would been too much as a dress.

I adore the skirt. The shape is wonderful. Love it paired with the colorful shirt as well.

Renee said...

Great pieces! I really like that skirt. It looks great on you.

NGLaLALa said...

How cute! Love both pieces!

Claudine said...

Great flounces! I especially like the blouse. Both pieces look very Anthropologie.

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

Both are SO cute!! I really need to revisit that Parisian section in the Aug 09 BWOF.

Eugenia said...

Wonderful pieces. I love both these styles - frills and flounces are so great! Very chic!

julia said...

wow! I love that confetti fabric. Great job sewing it. I love the flounce on the front. Your skirt is great too. Oh, to be as small as you!!!!! You look fantastic!

Karin said...

Great blouse. I agree with A Sewn Wardrobe (sorry, don't know your name) when she says that the fabric is perfect for this blouse, but may have been too much for a dress. Now it's lovely, as is the skirt.

Lori said...

Very pretty blouse and skirt.

Andrea said...

These two pieces are lovely additions to your wardrobe. You did a really nice job.

Marybeth said...

They are both so beautiful - you're right - the teal skirt is adorable... And I love the fabric for the blouse... Looks like you have a fabulous stash!

Sidewalk Chalk said...

Your pieces are beautiful -- you are so talented! I'm new to your blog and just spent the last 10 minutes gawking at your latest entries. So amazing how you try to replicate and enhance the design of some of your favorite designer pieces. Definitely will keep reading your blog!

- JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Shannon said...

Love both these pieces! I really want to make that top myself.

senaSews said...

The blouse is so adorable. Cute fabric and looks so well done!

Alviana said...

both top and skirt look fabulous. u done a great job. love ur blog too :)

amisha said...

I love both these styles - frills and flounces are so great! Very chic!
underground hypnosis

full said...

你所貫徹的形象,你喜愛它有多少百分比,你就幸福多少百分比..............................

Susan said...

From the flounce to the rolled hem - amazing work!

Jasmine's Mommy said...

I love the fabric for your top. The skirt is very flattering too. I'm inspired to get some material and start sewing again! (If only I had more time).

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

Very pretty pieces perfect for the coming seasons!

治士士 said...

383成人網路美女遙遙寫真集經溣美女2009寫真倉井空寫真集正妹桌面正妹桌布正妹時鐘av999免費影片250av女優免費影片日本h小遊戲下載區日本ol絲襪美腿日本車展美女日本黃色漫畫日本黃色影片日本護士踢小弟弟影片日本護士圖片日本貼圖網站日本賽車絲襪美女日本賽車女郎寫真美女 視訊美女 視訊a片下載台灣情kiss色網aa的滿18歲影片微風成人情色 網免費avi影片下載免費看成人片080苗栗人聊天室網愛聊天a片免費看台灣成人網硬弟弟論壇免費視訊173liveshow0401成人吉澤明步更衣室自拍片曖曖成人影院性愛早餐性愛時間長短論壇性愛享受

jennifer said...

did you make the top...where did you get the fabric?

Jana said...

Did you resolve the blogger issue? I find that when I upload pictures-sometime they move ot the right or left even though it says that they are centered.

Here's what I do that seems to work. Just click to make them go right and then click to make them go center again and that usually resolves the problem.

Jana