I have wanted to make a pink jacket. I considered making one out of velvet or velveteen, but I am just not brave enough yet, so I purchased some feathercord corduroy (28 wale?) from fabric.com awhile back. The wales are fine enough that it has a velvet-ish look to it. The color is described as "georgia peach" but it is really more of a pale pink. I used McCalls 5477 View C and lengthened the sleeves from 3/4 to full length. I fully lined it in slipper satin in soft mint--also bought from fabric.com. I had originally planned to make a blouse from this satin, but I just didn't like the weight of it when it arrived for the blouse. I was trying to decide what kind of interesting color I could line this jacket in when I remembered this satin.
view of lining on inside front
view of lining on inside back
A couple of years ago, I learned the hard way that you don't use fusible interfacing on corduroy when I messed up some beautiful purple corduory that I was trying to make a jacket from. When I fused it to the cord, it just showed every wrinkle. This time, I used sew in interfacing.
I was concerned initially with how light weight the corduroy was after cutting out the jacket, but this satin lining and the sew in interfacing gives it good structure.
I cut a size 12 and did not make any changes except for lengthening the sleeves. I think this is the first time I have been really happy with a jacket I made. Always in the past I have cut too large a size. I have ironed and ironed this jacket, but I think I am just going to have to accept that this fabric is a little wrinkly, probably due to the high cotton content. Here is a pic of the way it looks open.
At last but not least, I used some light pink marbled buttons that I bought I my local fabric shop. I think this jacket will be a good transitional piece for going into Spring.