Tuesday, February 9, 2010

McCalls 5477 -- Corduroy Jacket








I have wanted to make a pink jacket. I considered making one out of velvet or velveteen, but I am just not brave enough yet, so I purchased some feathercord corduroy (28 wale?) from fabric.com awhile back. The wales are fine enough that it has a velvet-ish look to it. The color is described as "georgia peach" but it is really more of a pale pink. I used McCalls 5477 View C and lengthened the sleeves from 3/4 to full length. I fully lined it in slipper satin in soft mint--also bought from fabric.com. I had originally planned to make a blouse from this satin, but I just didn't like the weight of it when it arrived for the blouse. I was trying to decide what kind of interesting color I could line this jacket in when I remembered this satin.



lining fabric





view of lining on inside front






view of lining on inside back

A couple of years ago, I learned the hard way that you don't use fusible interfacing on corduroy when I messed up some beautiful purple corduory that I was trying to make a jacket from. When I fused it to the cord, it just showed every wrinkle. This time, I used sew in interfacing.



I was concerned initially with how light weight the corduroy was after cutting out the jacket, but this satin lining and the sew in interfacing gives it good structure.


I cut a size 12 and did not make any changes except for lengthening the sleeves. I think this is the first time I have been really happy with a jacket I made. Always in the past I have cut too large a size. I have ironed and ironed this jacket, but I think I am just going to have to accept that this fabric is a little wrinkly, probably due to the high cotton content. Here is a pic of the way it looks open.




At last but not least, I used some light pink marbled buttons that I bought I my local fabric shop. I think this jacket will be a good transitional piece for going into Spring.

25 comments:

Kathi said...

What a pretty coat! The shape is so neat with the pleated area around the front. You did a beautiful job!

Marybeth said...

I LOVE it! I really like the pleats on the pockets, and the green lining makes it so special... Great job!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Ooh pink and green! Love that color combo! The jacket style is so cute, you did a great job!

Lori said...

Very cute jacket.

Gail said...

I made this jacket very early in my sewing career. While I love the jacket, I had some problems with the attachment at this neckline where the pieces didn't fit together properly. Given that I've only worn it twice, I recently decided to unpick it, taking out the lining which is too hot by the 3/4 sleeve length. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

AllisonC said...

Your jacket looks great, I love that detail around the pockets.

Sue said...

Very pretty jacket!

Jenny said...

You've made a really pretty jacket. I love the wintery corduroy with the spring pink color.

gwensews said...

Cute jacket! I love the surprise inside!

Amanda S. said...

Very cute coat! That style is a real winner. Wonder why I never picked that pattern up... Great tip abou the sew in interfacing. I'll have to file that away in my brain.

Tanya said...

Love this jacket, I made it last year in a faux-suede fabric and I love it. It's posted on my blog but it's from last year, I'd be happy to send you a photo if you're interested. Yours looks great.

Gertie said...

Love it! Perfect fabric choice - it really brings out the beautiful lines of the jacket.

alethia said...

Very pretty and the fit is great!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I agree with Alethia - the fit is perfect! The nipped in waist with the peplum bottom is so flattering. Not that you need it!

julia said...

When I first clicked on your post, I thought that jacket was the picture on a pattern envelope or in a magazine. I had to read on to see that you had made it!! It's wonderful!!! That green lining is fantastic in the pinkish jacket, and you couldn't have found better buttons than these!!! I am one impressed blogger friend.!

Lisa said...

That jacket is beautiful. I love following your blog because it lets me imagine all the beautiful clothes I could make if only I had the talent. I'm pretty much relegated to sewing buttons back on shirts in reality - I tried making some skirts way back when because they were easy ... that didn't turn out very well.

Aminat said...

Your jacket is absolutely beautiful. I love the color combination (pink and green).

Cynthia said...

Your jacket is beautiful! It's a nice style for you and you chose a beautiful color and buttons for it. I'm jealous!

NGLaLALa said...

Cute jacket! I love the tab in the back, too!

senaSews said...

Cute jacket. I like the color of the fabric and the lines of the pattern. Well done. It looks really nice!

Eugenia said...

Oh that jacket is so beautiful. I love the ice cream shades of the fabric and lining - quite delicious! The shape is lovely and it fits you perfectly.

Robin said...

It looks great! The fit is right on target as well. Thanks for the tip on not using fusible interfacing on corduroy too. I also am a bit scared to sew with velvet, but I love the look of stretch velvet for evening dresses, so at some point I will have to get over my hesitation.

brunette said...

that is absolutely fabulous!

DEA said...

wow, I can't believe you made this, it looks so great!!

Dea
www.beachfloatabroad.blogspot.com

Trudy Callan said...

Your jacket is amazing.

Thanks so much for helping me solve my tangled bobbin mess. I appreciate that you took the time.

I have just posted a scarf refashion where I took an old shirt and turned it into a gorgeous neck scarf. Next week sometime I plan to do another What I'm Wearing post. And then I need to get back to some real sewing soon. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to visit my blog and leave comments.

Have an awesome day!