Monday, April 26, 2010

B5206 - Border Print Dress


I finally have something from my sewing room to show you. I bought a lovely knit border print fabric awhile back from fabricmartfabrics.com when it went on sale. I just can't resist their sales. I just wish their shipping wasn't $8.00. The combination of colors is one of my favorites--rose & blue. Also, this fabric reminds me of stained glass, which I also love. I really had no idea what pattern I would use, as is frequently the case when I buy fabric. For several months I have been looking for the vintage vogue pattern 2517. I had pretty much given up on finding it, so I was going to try to adapt a wrap dress pattern to the color block design. I chose B5206 as my starting point. I wanted to test the fit and use this beautiful knit fabric for a dress, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone (my that is a terrible sounding saying---I love birds) Anyway, I would get my dress out of this material and know how the fit is. Once I knew the fit, I was going to cut the pattern into pieces and attempt to produce a pattern like the vintage vogue.




front

back

I rarely ever make muslins--I have made about five in entire 10 years I have been sewing. I just sort of fit as I go. When I make a knit dress I always go by the finished bust measurement. I did the same here and the dress fit with no fitting alterations. Well, there was one planned and one unplanned alteration. that did not involve fitting. I had planned to do the short sleeved version and as I was serging the sleeve seam, this slinky fabric slithered its way under the serger foot, and I sliced a huge hole in my sleeve. I had already had enough sewing disasters recently (see previous post) that I did not have the patience to recut the sleeve and deal with the seam allowance issue. I just picked it out and decided to go sleeveless. Another alteration was that I chose not to use the contrast trim. I used clear elastic to fold under the edges. I had never done that technique and it is something I have been wanting to learn. It was really easy. Here is the tip on how to use it at patternreview.com. There are other tutorials on the internet for using it. I took a stitch at the neck so that it would not gape open. Also I left off the belt and just wore one of my own. I also coverstitched the hem using my coverstitch function on my Babylock Evolve Serger. I basically kept it very simple so that this print would be the focus. I am happy with how it turned out. I am not so sure that this particular ecru color is good for my skin tone at the neck, so I wore a denim jacket with it to work to add a little more color.



Well, while I was making this dress, a lovely lady from patternreview let me know that the vintage vogue pattern I wanted was on ebay. I don't think I have ever surfed the internet so quickly. I snapped it up so I am very happy I don't have to create a pattern now. It was going to be my next project, but something else has moved into its place. I have a very special wedding to attend in a month. My husband's best friend's youngest son is getting married to his dream girl. They both go to my church and I am so happy for them. I have been asked to sing at their wedding, and I have been looking for a dress. I found one at anthropologie, and it was on sale....FOR $90!!!!!! By the time I paid the astronomical shipping and tax, it would have been over $100 when I received it. I just can't spend that much money on a dress. Also, their sizing is all over the place, so you never know if you need to go up or down a size, and the closest anthopologie to me is 3.5 hrs away---probably a good thing :) I have decided to attempt a knock off of it. The dress is the "Swinging Sweetheart Dress". Here is the front and the back. I am probably going to do mine with a straight skirt so that it is more elegant. The antho dress is pretty as it is, but I am almost 40 and that flared out skirt together with the scalloped waist, ruffled neckline and sleeves, and gathers makes the "Swinging Sweetheart Dress" as it is a little...well... too sweet. It is going to be a challenge, but I am looking forward to it.

I have another dress to show you that I made this past weekend, when I get photographs. I plan to wear it to work Thursday, so I will do a post this weekend on it.

25 comments:

Sewfast said...

Very pretty Rachel!

Erica B. said...

Really pretty! Love the fabric!

Gail said...

I love the fabric of your wrap dress. Good luck with your not so sweet swinging sweetheart dress.

AllisonC said...

Beautiful dress, the fabric is stunning!

Marybeth said...

It looks beautiful on you! Love that fabric! I still haven't used mine yet - still waiting for the right pattern...

Shari said...

Beautiful dress looks wonderful on you...love your fabric.

逸凡逸凡 said...

Nice Post~!!!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cindy said...

The fabric is perfect. Looks RTW! Thanks for the info on the pattern.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I think I prefer this without the sleeves. The pattern is so graphic that it might be too much. A happy mistake, I think! I really, really love this. Like, I'm jealous that it's not hanging in my closet.

Angela said...

Great dress! I love the pattern placement!

Karin said...

It's a beautiful dress and very flattering on you. I think the fabric that you chose is super.

Claudine said...

Ooo. Aahhh. Very nice.

Eugenia said...

Beautiful dress and you have worked that gorgeous fabric perfectly. I love it!!

Andrea said...

That fabric is amazing. I LOVE this dress.

gwensews said...

Amazing dress! I love the print. It looks like artwork on fabric!

senaSews said...

Lovely dress and a really nice fabric!

Terri K said...

You've accomplished the perfect fusion of fabric and style. I think it wanted to be sleeveless.

Lynneb said...

Rachel, what a perfectly lovely dress....it's just lovely!

Tany said...

Fantastic dress, Rachel! Well done!

虹玟 said...

Nice to meet you~!!!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Kathi said...

Very pretty!!

Gorgeous Things said...

What a lovely dress. Brava!

sewabeginner said...

I am absolutely wowed by this dress and the fabric. Gorgeous!

~Sherry~ said...

Gorgeous fabric and really nice in this style. You're right - the denim really brings the colour to life!

Robin said...

I adore that dress - great job!