Thursday, April 8, 2010

Two months of wadderville

First I want to say thanks to the 102 followers I now have. WOW!! And, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. It has been awhile since I have posted, but I have been living in wadderville. I set out to make an Easter Dress from S2444 using some of the gorgeous Vera Wang fabric I got when fabric.com had their sale for $1.95.






I have been in love with that pattern since it first came out. I ordered it from sewingpatterns.com and had pretty much given up on getting it. It had been 3 weeks and they still had not sent it and had not charged my credit card. After emailing them, a week after I had ordered it, they told me it had shipped. It never came and the did not respond to my two later emails. I will never order from them again. I gave up and ordered it from somewhere else. Well the day after it arrived, the one from sewingpatterns arrived. GRRR!! I had planned on having a giveaway with one of the patterns when I reached 100 followers, but I lost one of the pattern pieces and had to cut my second one. GRRR!!! After I got the dress made, I put it on and it was just too much!!! It was too poofy and I looked liked I was wearing a curtain. I am just calling it an unplanned muslin :)

On to plan B---Then I decided to make M 5752 using some of that gorgeous Ivory Vera Wang jersey I got in the same sale.


That fabric is to die for!!! Well, I got it made and even did a pretty little cover stitch on the sleeves and hem using my Babylock Evolve serger. This pattern was really a pain to sew because it had one inch seams. I had my outfit all planned out in my head for Easter. I was going to wear a little jacket with it that I had made the year before and some shoes with the same colors as the jacket. I got the dress on that morning and was putting on my makeup. When I stood up from the chair after putting on my makeup, I had somehow gotten several spots of makeup on the dress. I am usually so careful.
Here is the dress and the makeup disaster:



Needless to say I had to wear something else to church. I immediately sprayed Shout on it and washed it. It did not come out. Then I sprayed Greased Lightning with Bleach Power on it, let it set, and washed it. It did not come out. I am bummed. Now, I just have no desire to sew. I am tired. In my mind I want to sew, but my body says no. Does anyone know how to get this stain out? Someone at Stitchers Guild suggested something from Joann's that sounds good, but I do not live close to one. Anyway, I know I will get over this and get back to sewing, but right now I am pouting. Thanks for listening :)

20 comments:

stitchywitch said...

I don't have advice on the stain, but I do have sympathy - I once got foundation on a sweater I had just finished knitting, and it never did come out. Sorry about your frustration - I have some of that Vera Wang fabric too, and I'm trying to figure out what to make that won't look like curtains. I've heard bad things about sewingpatterns.com lately, so I don't think you are the only one!

Barbara said...

The clorox website has a whole list of different stains and how to treat them. There's one for lipstick. Perhaps that would help as well for your make up problem.
http://whitenyourwhites.com/pages/LaundryTips.html

redhotpepper said...

Fill your sink with hot water and a couple tablespoons of Cascade dishwasher detergent. Let it soak until the water cools down enough to touch it. Take a look and do a bit of scrubbing if the fabric will allow. Sometimes it takes me 2 sessions of soaking to get a stain out. If the stains are faint enough, go ahead and wash the dress in the washing machine. There's been very few stains I've not been able to get out with this method.

Annie

Hills said...

I had the same issue w/ sewing patterns.com. I ordered something & didnt recieve it or shipiping info within a week. My 1st email they responded vaguely saying "my shipment was backordered." I had several questions that I emailed them thereafter and they would not respond. Then mysteriously I received a package in the mail & was billed, even though I had already purchased the patterns @ a JoAnns sale. Their cust service is non-existent.

Angela said...

Sorry about all the hassel you've encountered. I've run into some difficulties sewing as well and can't seem to get myself back up even though there's plenty of projects and spring inspiration. Hope you get back to sewing soon! :)

Amanda S. said...

Oh, how frustrating!!! I have no advice on the stain question as I never know what to do myself. But the dress is gorgeous, I hope you can get it out.

Renee said...

So sorry about your frustrations! I have no stain removal suggestions, but I wish you success with other's recommendations. The dress does look lovely!

Eugenia said...

How annoying for you to stain your new dress. I always use some stuff called White Wizard (I'm not sure if this is sold in the U.S.?) to take out tricky stains. If that fails I resort to professional help from a good dry cleaner. Good luck with getting it out because that dress really is worth rescuing - it's stunning!

Kuka said...

oooh no! what a pity! Could you dye it if you can't get the stain out?

Julie said...

Sorry about the stain. I've been there as well. I somehow pricked my finger and got drops of blood on the skirt of my wedding dress I was making. As if I wasn't already cutting it close to the wedding day. I had to rip off the skirt and make a new one because I had no more of that fabric left and couldn't buy more locally. I've been wanting to make up M5752. Were you happy with the dress (before the makeup)?

Rachel said...

Julie,
I am really happy with the dress, other than the stain. If I had it to do over, I would make it a little longer, but it is fine as it is. I have about decided to get a very small liquid dropper and drop a very small drop of clorox on each of the makeup stains. I have nothing to lose.

Karin said...

Rachel, how frustrating! I don't know if I would use clorox for this, it sounds like something that could ruin the fabric. I did hear someone, just like redhotpepper, say that she always used dishwasher detergent and that that helped. Never tried it myself though, but I guess I would try that first. And if all else fails, is it possible to dye the dress maybe? It looks so lovely and soft. It would be a shame if you weren't able to wear it at all.

Sarah said...

Sorry, it is annoying when you spend so much time on something and it doesn't work out like you planned. If you don't get the stain out than maybe you can dye the dress?

angie.a said...

Aw, sorry about your stain. :( It probably won't come out, since your makeup probably had "oil" in it and the fabric is probably "oil-based" /petroleum byproduct too. That makes stains really stick! (oil + oil) I know that sounds crazy, but its the reason stains like that set and never come out.

Have you thought of dying it?? Of course the same properties that made it stain will make it harder to set dye, but Dharma Trading co have lots of dyes for poly blends & nylon blends! It's worth a shot, because it's a beautifuld ress!

李妍妮 said...

不要小看自己,因為自己有限的可能......................................................

jenny said...

Here is a sure fire way to get out most stains. Especially oil-based ones. Hopefully you did not put it in the dryer. If you did it may take several attempts. Put your teapot on the stove and get some water boiling. Round up a scrub brush and some Dawn. Put Dawn on stain and rub in...when water is boiling hot pour directly over stain. Let sit, let water puddle over stain, then scrub with brush--put some muscle into it. Use more Dawn...sometimes the stain turns blue as the Dawn pulls the stain out. Repeat this whole process several times until stain is gone. This usually takes care of most stains...but can be hard on delicate fabrics.

ellamenna.p said...

Here in the midwest, we have an old-fashioned product, that works almost every time. In the bar soap section of a store, look for a long rectangle named "Fels Naptha."
Rub some on the stain, wait a day, and then wash.
Waiting is only necessary because of the time lag and all your other efforts. Otherwise, rub grass stains, blood, chocolate, red wine, etc with Fels Naptha and throw it in the wash. Amazing product. One bar costs around a dollar.

Amy said...

Oxiclean makes a great new gel spray that has several several shirts that food has spilled on (tomato and cream sauces). It may work for hte makeup stain, too.

Elizabeth said...

THat is such a shame. I love the dress.

Leslie V said...

Tide has a pen that removes stains. I forget the name, but it's a pen so that should be easy to find. My daughter uses it on my granddaughters stains and it removes them immediately.