Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bed sheet dress - Simplicity 2497



When I was a little girl my mother made me a floral dress out of a bed sheet and I loved it. I was reminded last year about using sheets to make dresses when The Slapdash Sewist made a dress using a sheet. I went to Walmart and bought a sheet in a pretty teal blue to make the same Butterick dress she made. The sheet is 60% cotton/40% polyester. But, you know how a fabric and pattern stash can build up--there is always so much to sew and so little time. The sheet just sort of sat in my stash as I was distracted by more fabric and patterns.



When this Cynthia Rowley S2497 pattern came out awhile back I knew I had to have it. I just love the neckline ruffles. I knew I wanted to wear this dress to work and, therefore, could not make it too dressy. I do not want to look like I am wearing a formal dress to work. I deliberated over what fabric to use, and then it came to me to use the bed sheet.

I made this dress about 3 weeks ago, but today is the first time I have worn it to get photographs. I always make a size 12 with no alterations, so I did the same thing this time. However, it was too big in the chest. I took in another 5/8" seam allowance to fix it. If you are small chested, I would advise dropping down one size in the bodice. My invisible zipper went in perfectly (not normal for me). This dress was really easy to make.






I am wearing it with a necklace/bracelet/earring set my sister gave me and some silver sandals from Go Jane. For those of you shoe-aholics like me, Go Jane has some cute, inexpensive shoes. Some are wild, but there are alot of cute ones.

23 comments:

Debra Martin said...

Wow Rachel, I would never think your dress started its life as a bed sheet! It looks great. What a cool idea!!

Sheri said...

Love your ruffle! This is gorgeous!

Amanda S. said...

Love it! Fabulous color on you and I can't believe it's a bedsheet!!!

qtn said...

you are so talented!! how did you get starated? did you take classes?? new visitor to your site & very much enamored :)

Shari said...

The fabric colour is gorgeous! Can't believe it was once a bed-sheet. Great job your dress looks beautiful on you.

Lori said...

Darling dress, wonderful color.

AllisonC said...

Another great version of this dress - it looks good on everyone, but this is the first one I've seen from a bedsheet!

Branka said...

What a beautiful color, very summery.
The ruffles are gorgeous!

Eugenia said...

That's a beautiful dress - what a great way to use a bedsheet! This is going to be a wonderful 'Easy Care' dress for summer and it looks so pretty in that lovely colour. I made this dress in a silk crepe but now you've got me wanting a summer version in cotton.

Tany said...

The dress looks great! You did an awesome job!

Julia said...

Fantastic dress! Love the ruffle!!!!

Angela said...

I would've never guessed that it was bedsheet! I've been trying to make this pattern with a more casual fabric and didn't know what to use. Good idea to use the bedsheet!

Tasia said...

Gorgeous dress, no one will ever believe it was a bedsheet in its previous life!

gwensews said...

What a great idea! Now, I wonder what the "wrinkle factor" is in a sheet? Your dress looks beautiful on you.

Sheila said...

Gorgeous dress.

JoanneM said...

That is the best bed sheet I have seen! Lovely dress!

文婷 said...

性感遊戲 一葉晴貼影片區 av127 影音視訊交友 yes123日本即時通視訊女郎帳號 av 女優 卡通美女短片免費試看 a片天堂台灣論壇成人a漫畫 a片av 短片 都都成人站 百事免費av視訊聊天網 2sex999情人輔助品 上班族追愛聯盟 日本av女優 85cc免費聊天室 上班族視訊情色小站 s38視訊聊天avdd 亞洲限制級成人影片區 月光論壇080大學生視訊 視訊美女manhattan 成人夜色直播 tt1069交友 小妹妹援交友留言桃園 gogo2sex無碼女優情色 台灣藝人模特兒 av 女優,黑色會美眉 3y3成人色色網 熊貓成人貼,無碼a片 77p2p影片網中文版 38girl免費視訊聊天 色情漫畫777美女 免費彩虹頻道 打手槍 383成人 免費成人影片觀賞avdvd qq 美美色網漫畫 77p2p影片網愛田 sexy girl色妹妹視訊 百分百成人圖片美女寫真34c bbs論壇本土自拍 台灣kiss色網 kk124視訊俱樂部 卡通aa片hilive tv 免費電影天堂 性感用品性易購 南部已婚聊天室 080 aio甜心寶貝貼片微風論壇 18-成人交友區 情人高雄辣妹視訊34c xxx免費無碼a片 美眉共和國080情人網 080情人同志交友網 美女kk69

patsijean said...

The dress is quite lovely. I think we forget how good the quality of sheet fabric can be. That said, I have a link for you regarding shoe themed fabric. I think this is so cut and clever. It would make a great casual top.

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/208843

Rachel said...

patsijean,
Thank you so much for that link to the shoes fabric. It is so cute!!!

Selina said...

totally love this! i just bought this pattern myself.. (and every other Cynthia Rowley pattern in the store!) i never used to admit that i made things out of sheets... now i use them all the time AND brag about my cheap fabric! :) you are too cute!

sisters4saymoreismore.blogspot.com

a little sewing on the side said...

fantastic! Perfect match of pattern to fabric. Looks really great on you.

怡君 said...

好好充實內在,空袋子是站不起來的。 ..................................................

Kristin said...

Holy sheet, your dress is wonderful! That bright turquoise is so lovely and summery, too.