Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Exposed Zipper...or no?


I am currently sewing a knock off of this gorgeous Swinging Sweetheart Dress that was available recently at anthropologie. Even at the sale price I could not stomach it, so I decided to sew a knockoff. I am using a vintage pattern that is very similar to this dress. The bodice is silk batiste (never again) and the skirt is a linen/rayon blend. I stabilized the back seam using fusible interfacing and attempted to insert an invisible zipper. The last time I inserted an invisible zipper, it went perfectly, so I should have known it would be a disaster this time.
I tried about three times to get things to line up, but they would not. When I ripped a tiny hole in my fabric, I knew it was time to stop. The hole was close enough to the seam allowance that I could take an ever so slightly deeper one to cover it up.
Now I am on to plan B--what I am thinking is that I might try something I have been intrigued with for awhile--an exposed zipper in black. I found a wonderful tutorial on how to insert one. This dress is so feminine and ethereal looking, that I am wondering if it might add a little edge to the garment...or would it just look out of place?
I had also thought of just doing button holes and running buttons up the back, but I don't have time. I am truly on a deadline to get this dress done. I am also thinking about just buying a regular pink zipper to match the bodice and doing a centered application.
Readers. what do you think?

13 comments:

arnysews said...

Have you tried a hand picked zip? It is supposedly easier than it seems. Threads have an online how-to on it somewhere. You could then use an ordinary zip.

KID, MD said...

If you have absolutely ruled out the invisible zip, I agree that hand picked would be better than centered and vastly superior to exposed, which I really think would fight with the feel of that dress (although on a black sheath - yum!).

Jana said...

An exposed zipper would give it an edgy look and a hand picked zipper would be lovely....so many choices! I hope you post a pic when you're done!

Tasia said...

I like the idea of an exposed zipper, as it's young and trendy (and strong!) But this dress is so pretty and delicate that an exposed zipper might look too tough. My favourite would be buttons up the back, but if you're pressed for time then go for the regular zip, hand-picked if you have time.
Here's a really great tutorial on hand-picking a zipper:
http://www.thecupcakegoddess.com/the-cupcake-goddess/2010/04/handpicking-a-lapped-zipper.html
Good luck!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I vote for an exposed zipper - it would add a bit of edge to the sweet dress!

Victoria said...

I like the idea of the picked zipper. I also think the exposed one would be too "edgy" and would detract attention away from the soft, flirty look of the dress:) Can't wait to see the final garment. You are truly "Queen of the Knock-Off's"!

katy said...

handpicked zipper is definitely the way to go - i do them on everything, they're actually rather easy, much easier than fighting my machine.
the exposed zipper look might be 'in' at the moment, but this dress will last much longer than that fad - of which i'm glad - i keep seeing cute dresses, only to find a nasty looking zipper ruining the back view! my mom (who knows nothing about fashion) saw a dress with such a treatment for the first time and commented that it looked like a lazy seamstress who didn't feel like bothering to sew a zipper in properly was in charge of sewing..."no mom, it's fashion"....
can't wait to see your dress by the way :)

Debra Martin said...

I agree with Katy. The exposed zipper look may be "in" right now, but to quote Heidi Klum, " ... in fashion, one day you are in and the next day you are out!" It would be a shame to have your dress look dated. I like the picked zipper. I can't wait to see your finished pictures.

LoverofWords said...

I am gonna go against the grain and say that I really like the exposed zipper look. in a similar shade to the top part of the dress... I just say a dress similar to his one but it was all back with the expose zipper and i really liked it

Karin said...

Give the dress some attitude- go for the zip! Everything goes out of fashion in the end anyway.

惠珠XiomaraG_Pad said...

I do like ur article~!!! ........................................

goldenmeans said...

I think the exposed zip would be fine :) It will add some edge, and, as for going out of style, one or two of the few vintage dresses I own actually have large exposed zips, so maybe it's not that off target anyway ;)

Lynneb said...

Oh, DO add the exposed zipper, Rachel. I think it would give that feminine dress some funk.