Sunday, May 2, 2010

Kate Spade Knockoff - S 2724



I saw this Kate Spade Cloey dress several months ago online and fell in love with it. If there is one thing I love me, it is some ruffles, bows, and flounces. I don't watch Glee, but I do keep up with Emma Pillsbury's fashion, and she recently was spotted wearing it in a different colorway. Isn't her cardigan just cute with it? It is already hot in South Alabama, so when it get cooler again, I will have to get me a cardigan for my dress.





Kate Spade's dresses unfortunately run over $400, way out of my budget for a dress, but it didn't look too difficult to make. I had purchased a gorgeous tweed-ish fabric from my local fabric retailer a few months before that I knew would be perfect for the skirt portion. I purchased some 100% polyester poplin from fabric.com for the bodice and set to work. I started with S 2724. I used the bodice for the dress with the ruffle down the front. However, since I was going to do a bow and a flounce, I drafted a different facing for the neckline.





Then I morphed the flounce from B 5284 View B onto the front of the bodice. It did not fit exactly, but it was within the seam allowance, so it worked. To make the bow , I just sewed two rectangles of white poplin together, leaving an opening to turn them inside out. The I wrapped a piece of fabric around the center. It is held onto the front of the dress with two snaps. I chose to do a straight skirt instead of an a-line like the original Kate Spade dress and attached an orange grosgrain ribbon at the waist.

Here is a closeup of the skirt fabric:

Here is my dress:




Here is a closeup of the bodice. I originally had turned under a narrow hem on the edge of the flounce, but it looked ugly, so I just did a rolled hem with my serger. My bow and flounce are a little less dramatic than the Kate Spade version, but I am very happy with it.

30 comments:

Danielle said...

Absolutely brilliant! Oh, how I need to learn to sew!

KID, MD said...

Adorable and nice work!!

Elizabeth said...

What a great interpretation. Great job!

iki dirhem bi çekirdek said...

it's very beatiful

goldenmeans said...

Fantastic Rachel!! I loved that KS dress when it came out, it reminded me so much of the famous MBMJ Alessandra dress. I'm so impressed with your rendition :)

gwensews said...

What a beautiful dress! Great knock-off!

Jennifer said...

That is so cute! You have inspired me to pick up that pattern! With a few tweaks, you really recreated the look nicely! I am a long time reader, but I don't believe I have ever commented. I always love seeing what you make!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

This is such an great dress. It's just the kind of thing I'd like to make. I love it! I like the colors you used better than the original.

Branka said...

This dress is gorgeous, I like it even better than the original! I hope i can sew this well some day... nice job.

Linda said...

Wow! You did a great job. I love the whole look. Very inspirational as well.

Katie said...

Wow - your dress is awesome! Love the colors in the tweed!

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

I like your version a lot, Rachel. The plaid that you used for the skirt is so pretty, and the dress is so perfectly feminine. Great job!

Kathryn

Angela said...

Cute!! Love the colors! I love Emma's outfits, too!

Andrea said...

I LOVE your version. The colors look really nice on you.

Karin said...

Fantastic! You did a great job. I actually like the fabric that you picked better than the original!

Marybeth said...

It looks great! I love the color of the skirt part, and it will look really cute w/ a cardigan in the fall :)))

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

What a pretty dress. It looks gorgeous and the bodice detail is perfect. Wonderful job!

DEA said...

You did such an amazing job, it looks like the real thing!!

senaSews said...

Fantastic dress. I love it! Wow!

Tany said...

Exquisite! You look amazing!

Sigrid said...

Beautiful dress. Amazing knock off.

欣穎啟佐 said...

你可以從外表的美來評論一朵花或一隻蝴蝶,但你不能這樣來評論一個人........................................

Karin (the Mrs.) said...

What a gorgeous dress. I love the colour combination, very nice!

Robin said...

Love it! The rolled hem is especially impressive!

angie.a said...

Beautiful!! Oh, I want to knock this off too, SO much!

Madeline P said...

SO SO CUTE! I am so impressed. If you can do this you can totally shorten the sleeves on cardigan!

TKP said...

I am way super impressed!! By the way, do you sell any of your clothes?? I would totally commission you to do a few pieces!

Regan Rothery said...

!!! I am sooooooo glad I saw this post!!! I have this gorgeous plum silk charmeuse that I've been dying to use, but too scared to cut into. I've looked and looked for a dress to make with no luck, and now, this Cloey knockoff will DEFINITELY be had! All I need is an adorable tweed for the skirt and I'm set!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Lovely, lovely interpretation and I like how you made it your own!

Trudy Callan said...

Your dress is beautiful.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com