Thanks everyone for your suggestions on what type of zipper to use for my anthropologie-inspired dress I posted about in my last post. I had not thought of using a pick stitched zipper, so that is what I did. When I got it done I looked at the dress in its (almost) entirety and....it just looked....homemade. I still had the collar ruffle and sleeves to do, but when I looked at the scalloped waist area, I could see the seam through the bodice where the skirt attached to the waist. It did not look good. I had initially stitched the scallops down with a straight stitch, but because of the thinness of the silk batiste, it just didn't attach well to the linen. Then I sewed over it with a zigzag. It looked better, but it still bothered me. I could not figure out what was wrong until I realized that I had intended to order "satin" batiste...not silk batiste. I use to sew children's clothing and I didn't remember satin batiste being as papery-feeling and papery-looking. I guess it had been so long since I had sewn baby clothes and little girl's smocked dresses, that I forgot which fabric was which. I live in a small podunk town and I have to order virtually all my fabric. I do have one local fabric shop, and there is some good fabric there, but not what I needed for this dress.
The bodice of this dress is so sheer that you can see every seam. I had considered binding the seams where the scalloping is done with bias tape, like Amanda does, but the more I looked at the zigzag stitch, the more I hated it. I had already ripped a small hole when I took out my unsuccessful invisible zipper so I knew I wasn't about to rip out all that zigzagging. I decided I didn't want to put all that time into binding and still not be happy with the outside stitching. There were a couple of places where it wasn't exactly right, and it really showed with the pink stitches being right next to the black skirt.
I decided there was no way to save this dress as it is. It was really disappointing and I pouted for awhile. Do you ever pout over your sewing mistakes? I decided that the whole problem is the sheer, flimsy, papery silk batiste. I need something more substantial for the bodice. When I tried the dress on, it went to my ankles (tea length). I want it at my knees, so what I did was to cut the bodice off the top of the skirt (yes I resorted to scissors) and used the same fabric to recut the skirt in a shorter length. I am still trying to decide what to use for the bodice. Any ideas? I need something that is not sheer. I am still thinking satin batiste, but now I am worried that I don't remember much about its nature either. If I recall, it isn't sheer, is it?
Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to wear this dress to the wedding I was making it for. I think the time stress may have been a contributing factor. I can't sew well under stress and should have remembered that. I will just have to wear my standby wedding dress. Meh... Part of me wants to just chunk this dress. I keep telling myself that maybe it is too little girlish for me...I will be 40 in August, but I hate that I spent all that money. It is not what I would have spent if I had bought the actual anthropologie dress, but it is more than I usually spend on a sewing project. Well, if it ends up wasted it is not the first wasted money I have spent on a sewing project, and I am quite positive it won't be the last.
It is going to be a week before can work on this dress again because I am leaving for Disney World in Orlando tomorrow. I am going to see Tinkerbell, my favorite Disney character. Maybe I will get refreshed and rested and be able to defeat this dress. Readers, thanks for your suggestions and help.