Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth

It has been awhile since I posted, but I have been following alot of sewing blogs.  I have just been a little disillusioned the past couple of months with sewing.  I have had a few sewing disasters and that has kind of put the damper on my enthusiasm.  I tried to make a pair of pants (not my strong point) and just really messed up the fly zipper--wasted fabric.  Then I tried to remake that off white jersey dress I stained with makeup awhile back and got it done.  Well guess what I did again---I don't even have to tell you.  It is just not meant to be.  Then I attempted to make a simple ruffle knit top and cut almost all of it out when I ran out of fabric.  I should have measured first, but I didn't.  After that, I just decided to take a little break and did not sew for about 3 weeks.  Then I decided to make a dress from a pattern that I have made before out of some gorgeous polka-dot silk charmeuse I got from fashionfabricsclub.com.  It was going to be my 40th birthday dress (for today...hmmm did I just let that piece of info drop?)  but look what I did.  I was putting the neck binding on and somehow I caught the sleeve up in it.  Before I noticed I had already trimmed the seam and in the process trimmed a chunk out of the front sleeve edge.  I don't have a clue how to fix it. It seems to be cut a little too far in for sleeve binding and I don't have the patience to remake the bodice.  Any ideas what to do?  I had planned to wear it with a cardigan, so that may just be what has to happen, but it is so frustrating.


I am literally scared to sew now. I am wanting to make a simple skirt, but how will I destroy it? Anyway, I suppose we all go through these sewing episodes. Until next time...

14 comments:

Tanya said...

I totally understand your frustration but don't focus on your wadders instead look at all the wonderful garments you've made, if that doesn't work try pricing the items you've made in RTW and see if it isn't worth it. We've all been there.

b4thedoor.com said...

Happy Birthday!

When ever I'm coming off a long hiatus of sewing, I always try to sew 2-3 really easy things. Like t-shirts/ tank tops. So I think you've got is right with a skirt to start. Look at you other fabulous skirts too. Good luck with your simple skirt!

Marybeth said...

Happy Birthday! I hope some birthday fun cheers you up! You are such a talented sewist and have been an inspiration to me since I've been following your blog over the past year... I know you'll find your confidence again!!!

Amanda S. said...

Oh no! What a time you've had! I'm so sorry for all your recent wadders. I totally understand how they can put you off sewing. A simple skirt could be just the thing you need to get back in a groove. Do you have a TNT pattern to turn to? Happy Birthday as well!!!

lexa said...

Happy birthday!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Darn, b/c that fabric is so cute.

Happy birthday!

Victoria said...

Happy Birthday Lady!!! I understand your frustration. Don't be too disenchanted, these things happen. Ease back into it when you feel comfortable. We'll be right here waiting:)

Cennetta said...

Happy Birthday! Losing the mojo happens to all of us. Just this summer I had four diasters (knit tops). Maybe I'll blog about them.

~Sherry~ said...

Happy birthday!
Things always seem to happen in trios - maybe your next one will be perfect!

Angela said...

Happy belated birthday! Oh no... I'm sorry! After I get frustrated, I cool off and then take each step very slowly on either the same or new project. And if that doesn't help me focus and create a nice item... I blow off some steam by chunking it across the room and stomping all over it. :D

Trudy Callan said...

I've had some blunders myself; so I can relate, like the dress I can't get to meet at the back seem.

Just put it behind you and move on. Don't give up.

Oh, and happy birthday.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

theanthropologieconnoisseur said...

Wow! Thanks for the incredibly sweet compliments on my blog! I’m speechless! I will definitely be looking at your blog as we have something in common...we both sew!

Jamie said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, Rachel! I was just scrolling through your creations and I am truly impressed. I love the ruffled skirt and your interpretation of the Kate Spade dress is amazing -- so much better than the original!

rachel said...

I just stumbled across your blog through Anthroholic and I can relate! I sew custom window treatments, bedding, etc., and I am really good at it, but I refuse to try my hand at clothing. I am just incredibly intimidated by it, which is odd because window treatments aren't the easiest to most people either! I can say though not to give up. I'm sure it is just a little slump that you will get through. We all have those from time to time!

I also really like Angela's suggestion! haha