Thursday, September 30, 2010

Inspired by Anthropologie - Ruffled Plaid Dress: McCall 5972

GASP!!!! GASP!!! That was my reaction when I first saw Anthropologie's Ruffled Plaid Dress. 



front

back

The first GASP was at the beauty of it (a good gasp).  The second GASP was at the price (not a good gasp).  Sometime I just see a dress a think I have to have it, so I decided to try to knock it off.  As I was looking through patterns, I came across McCall 5972.  I had bought it several months ago and it just kind of sat in my pattern stash.  I really had no idea what to do with it, but I had to have the pattern because it is just so pretty!!!
When I remembered I had it, I knew it would work for making an inspired-version of this Anthropologie dress.  I ordered some tropical wool  octavia check fabric from fabric.com. 

I love fabric.com because they have great fabrics and fast/cheap shipping.  This fabric is navy plaid whereas the anthro dress is black, but it is the closest I could find for a reasonable price.  And, I just love navy blue.
     I ordered extra because the Anthropologie dress is cut on the bias, and I wanted to do that.  I have never cut a pattern on the bias before that was not meant to be cut on the bias.  I really did not see any difference in sewing fabric cut on the bias vs sewing fabric cut on the straight of grain. It could be because of the type of fabric I was sewing. 
     I made a muslin, something I don't normally do, because I have been in such doldrums lately in my sewing that I wanted to be sure it would fit correctly.  It was a good thing I made a muslin, because I had serious front and back neck gaping.  I had about an inch of gaping at both the front and the back.  To fix this problem I just took each pattern piece, marked in from the center back and center front about 1/4 inch,  and then drew a line from there to the fold line right about waist level.  That's was my new fold line.  That took care of a 1/2 inch on front and back, but I still had more to take out.  I then tapered the shoulder seam from 5/8 inch at the armhole to 7/8 inch at the neckline.  I redrew the neckline just a bit so that it was smooth.  I have no idea if this is the best solution but it's worked well for me.  I had to do the tapering at the shoulder seam for the bottom flounce at the neckline, but I did not make adjustments to the ruffles.  I just gathered them a little more.   
     Except for that adjustment, I made the dress exactly according to the pattern.  However, I did not line the dress.  I almost always line my dresses and skirts because I really don't like slips.  However, I already had 4 layers of fabric at the neck.  The McCall pattern suggests chiffon for the ruffles at the neck, but that wasn't the look I was going for.  Therefore, I ended up with 4 layers of tropical wool at the neck.  I did try to line it at one point,  but the neckline just flipped out and showed the lining (even with my understitching) because it was so heavy.  I did a bias neckband instead.  I'll just be wearing a slip with this dress. 
  Here is my version of the dress.  My ruffles are a little more elaborate and the back bodice of my dress has ruffles, whereas the anthropologie dress does not.

front

back
  
   Here is a close up of the ruffle at the front.



Also, the anthro dress has a corsage pin.  I chose to wear a rhinestone butterfly pin I got a couple of years ago.

I purchased the belt I am wearing from Anthropologie (on sale) and the shoes are a Christmas present that came from anthropologie.
                                        belt closeup

                                        shoe closeup
This dress was a confidence builder so I hope I am back on track, at least for awhile.

32 comments:

Erica B. said...

Rachel, your dress is fabulous and it SHOULD be a confidence builder! I can't wait to see more from you!

wendy said...

wow, it's gorgeous! it looks exactly like the original and the bias plaid really looks wonderful. :-)

Jana said...

Amazing-what a wonderful dress-I linked up!
Jana

Jane M said...

Spectacular dress. You made a great fabric selection and it fits you like a dream. Confidence, check!

Linda T said...

Wonderful job and what a great dress from that inspiration dress.

Gail said...

You've done a great job. Love the layers of ruffles and the bow belt. Antropologie is not available in Australia, but a few sewers have led me to their very inspiring website. I can't believe the prices they charge!

Jennifer said...

Very very cute! I love to see what you create! It always inspires me!

JoanneM said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Shari said...

WOW your dress is beautiful!Wonderful job on knocking of the antroplogie dress.

goldenmeans said...

Oh my, you are amazing! Fantastic job :)

Andrea said...

Your dress is fabulous, and so are you! I love Anthro, but hate their prices. They have quite a few skirts that I plan to knock off one day. :)

Karin said...

This is a winner! The dress looks beautiful and you look great in it!

Vicki said...

What a beautiful dress! You have done a great job.

Jamie said...

What a gorgeous dress. You did a fabulous job adapting the Anthro inspiration piece. And I like the boldness of your ruffles -- adds some extra "oomph." I have heard that Anthro's has fit issues for many people, but your version fits you perfectly . Great job, and glad you this dress was a confidence booster!

Vanessa said...

Super pretty! You did a great job!

Gernella said...

Gorgeous, far better than the RTW dress. Perfect fit as well, well it would be wouldn't it

Marybeth said...

Wow! It looks so beautiful!!!

Catherine said...

Fabulous! And I'm so glad I found this post because I just did my own Anthro knock-off and a separate post about how one could knock-off this dress using that pattern. So fun to see it done!
http://bschoolstudio.blogspot.com/2010/09/craftswomanship-capelet.html
http://bschoolstudio.blogspot.com/2010/09/diy-rtw-4-dwr.html

Victoria said...

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!! This dress is definitely a show-stopper! Great knock-off!!!

rachel said...

You are so incredibly talented! That dress is amazing!!

gwensews said...

That's a beautiful dress. Terrific knock-off! Sewing bias is not always an easy task. You did it well. Nice sewing!

Eugenia said...

Stunning dress - you have done an amazing job!

theanthropologieconnoisseur said...

Your version looks stunning! Congrats!

Kristin said...

I love the idea of making a ruffle dress with plaid! I'm not a very girly girl, but I'm attracted to making girly details like ruffles out of 'menswear' things like denim, and now that I've seen plaid, i'm totally inspired! Great dress!

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

Wowza what a great dress, Rachel! It looks wonderful on you, and takes what could have been more frou-frou looking (like on the pattern envelope) completely into the stylish edgy look that you ended up with. That choice of plaid was genius.

Stash said...

Love it! You are so clever and I love seeing what you will come up with next. ;-)

Angela said...

Beautiful dress! I think it's better than the Anthro dress and I love the way you accessorized it... the belt, shoes, and pin. It's all fabulous!

Jali said...

I love how you matched inspiration to pattern and created Gorgeous:). Congratulations on a lovely dress and outfit!

Sheila said...

WoW!!! what a Fabulous knock-off and it fits perfectly.

Meredith said...

I just found your post and have to say that I love your version! I too bought that pattern and some plaid fabric but was inspired by the Marc Jacobs Plaid Brodie Dress, but I love the Anthro one as well! My sewing skills are still not that great, but I hope I can make something half as good as your version. :)

Cennetta said...

Rachel, This is a beautiful dress and the shoes are the perfect match.

Felicity said...

The length is perfect and super flattering.
I'm "wicked' on stylethread. I love your blog!