Sunday, September 26, 2010

Vintage Vogue 2517 - Ice Cream Dress

I became obsessed earlier this year with finding this Vintage Vogue Diane von Furstenberg pattern when I saw the awesome dress that Kathryn' made on her blog.

After sending out SOS's here and on a couple of message boards, I was alerted that it was up for sale on ebay.  Even though it was a size larger than I needed, I went ahead and bought it.  I knew I could take deeper seams if I needed to do so.  I purchased the peach and fushia jersey fabric from fabricmartfabrics during one of their big sales, and the off white jersey is Vera Wang 100% rayon jersey that I got from fabric.com when it went on sale for $1.95/yd. 
     I had never sewn a vintage pattern before, but the instructions were great.  The most difficult part was keeping straight what pieces went with what color of fabric.  I followed the pattern and the only alteration I made was taking a deeper seam in the side under the arms.  I serged the inside seams and cover stitched the hem.  I sewed a little tie at the side. 
     The reason I call it the Ice Cream Dress is because it reminds me of a cone of several flavors of sherbert ice cream.  Here is the front and the back.


I probably shouldn't point this out, but I have a little bit of weird wrinkling going on at the seam between the fushcia and white fabric on the right back of the bodice( in the above picture).  After taking this picture, I put the dress on my dressform and the wrinkling wasn't there.  I think it was the way I was standing when I took the pic (or at least that is what I will tell myself for consolation).
      I will leave you with a parting shot of the shoes I wore with this dress.  I got them for my birthday.  They are Paris Hilton "Senorita" heel in gold and they have hot pink soles.  I am not a Paris Hilton fan, but her shoes sure are cute.

11 comments:

Marybeth said...

Wow! It's gorgeous, and it was totally worth the wait!!!

Victoria said...

Love,Love,Love this dress!!! Good deal on tracking down the pattern. It was well worth the effort. And as always, cute shoes!!!

Eugenia said...

Amazing dress! I love the style and you have chosen the perfect fabrics - the colour combination is delicious!

Tany said...

Both dress and shoes are stunning, well done!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I love how you paired this with gold shoes. It's a great combo.

This is such a different dress - in a very good way. I'm sure it's very stand-out in person. It's so cool! That's great that you got it to fit so well with very little alterations.

Christiana said...

Love the dress. Definitely worth the effort to track down the pattern.

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

goldenmeans said...

What a fantastic pattern, what a fantastic dress! Great job, it looks lovely. And I have a strange affinity for Paris Hilton shoes too, despite having what might term an anti-affinity to the woman herself. The people behind her and Jessica Simpson's lines are strangely amazing at shoe and bag design.

Jamie said...

Love the color and blocking on this dress. It is so cute, and those shoes are amazing. I've been drawn to Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson shoes more than I thought I would be...haven't purchased any yet, but they do an awfully good job of coming up with decent replacements for some of the more popular Valentino styles!

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

Rachel, your rendition is stunning, and pairs perfectly with your shoes. It's a knockout combo. You really did a fine job on getting that dress to fit you so nicely. Congrats!

Angela said...

Such a cute dress! I love the colors!

Sheila said...

Lovely dress and great color combo.