Saturday, October 30, 2010

S2605 and M5884 - blouse and skirt

Awhile back my local fabric shop put some lovely fabrics on sale for 1/2 off.  I had been eyeballing this pink plaid tweed, so I snapped it up when it went on sale.  It languished in my stash for awhile, but then I decided to make a skirt with it.  Actually, the skirt is just part of a whole outfit I put together in my head. 
  The plaid is hot pink and and has navy, lime green, and various other colors in it.  I decided to make S2605 View D.  I have used a different view of this pattern before.
The pattern was very easy, and I followed it to the letter so there is not much to say there.  I did find the fabric to be extremely ravel-ly.  When it was time to attach the flounce across the front, I knew I would get very frustrated if I tried to hem it.  I decided to fringe the edge instead. I just sewed a line of zigzag and then another one on top of the previous.  Then I begin pulling out threads.  Here is the skirt and an upclose of the fringe.

You may notice that my skirt is not fitting my dressform very well on the sides. I cannot zip it up the back.    The skirt fits me, just not my dressform.  I don't know what has happened to Lady Burgundy.  Somehow, she has gotten messed up.  I think it is from moving her around too much.   It sounds like a good excuse to me to get a custom dress form.  Anyone got any suggestions?

Once I got the skirt made, I decided I needed a navy blouse to go with it.  I used M5884 in View A.   This pattern is out of print,  but is still for sale on the BMV website.
   I ordered some rayon from fabric.com in a navy blue color. This fabric is scrumptious. It has a shiny side and a matte side. As you can see, I used the shiny side. I just love tie neck blouses.  I sewed the blouse exactly from the instructions and it went together easily.

I am not doing a post this week totally devoted to wearing what I sew, because I only wore one thing.  Actually I wore it Friday of last week .

Jacket:  blogged about here
Tank:  Old Navy
Jeans:  Old Navy
Shoes:  Madden Girl

Until next time...

15 comments:

Karin said...

I really like the unravelled fringe on the flounce. It is a great solution.

Lori said...

Cute, cute skirt, I like the fringed flounce.

KID, MD said...

Super cute outfit! The fringe is a really great touch. Now you just need a Chanel jacket... ;)

Amanda S. said...

Great additions to your wardrobe. I really love the raveled edge on your ruffle and the colors.

Sue said...

The skirt is gorgeous, the ruffled edge really finishes it off beautifully.

Eugenia said...

Fabulous skirt - I love the plaid with the fringed edging! That blouse is beautiful - I love tie neck blouses too!

gwensews said...

Terrific skirt! The fringing is a wonderful touch!

Rachel said...

KID, MD,
I was thinking that same thing--that I need a Chanel-ish jacket to go with the skirt. My local fabric store still has some of that fabric in stock. Hmmmm...I may have to buy some more and whip up a jacket to go with that skirt.

Julia said...

I love the skirt. It is perfect with the raveled ruffle. You have great ideas! That blouse fabric just looks luscious!!!!

meli88a said...

Good going with the fringe on the ruffle -- how fun!

Eilane Vida Costura said...

Parabens, ficaram perfeitos, tanto a saia quanto a blusa. Sempre leio seu blog, e me inspiro em suas peças constantemente, pena que aqui o Brasil não temos uma empresa que venda padrões como os que você usa, então temos que apenas olhar e tentar criar o padrão nós mesmos.

Abraços
Eilane - Brasil

Congratulations, you were perfect, both the skirt and blouse. I always read your blog, and
I am inspired by his plays constantly, pity that here in Brazil we do not have a company selling the patterns as you use, so we have to just look and try to set the standard ourselves.

Hugs
Eilane - Brazil

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

I love the fringing on the ruffle! It looks way better than a hem would on that thick fabric. Great call.

Angela said...

Love what you did with the fringe!! I have that blouse pattern, too. Both your pieces look fantastic!

Miss Vanderloo said...

The fringe makes the skirt! Love it.

Kristina said...

I love what you did with the skirt! Very now!
Kristina J.