Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Squeal!!!! Look at the pattern I just bought!!!

I was surfing around the internet and came across this pattern.  I almost squealed when I saw it.  It is a good thing I didn't because my students were taking a test.  I was keeping one eye on them and one eye on the computer screen. Here is the vision of gorgeousness---vintage Vogue 2112:
Is this pattern not to DIE FOR!!!  I came across it on a sewing blog so I began searching for it.  I did a google search.  I found a site that had it for $95.  I have no problem with people charging alot for rare vintage patterns.  I try not to make judgements about what they charge, but I am not paying that.  I immediately began trying to figure out how I could reproduce it.  It made me think of S3833 which I already have.  I figured I could just figure out how to do the split down the back and make a bow. 

However, I have not been too sucessful lately on tweaking patterns, and it seems like my mistakes happen in threes, so that really did not appeal to me.
    Suddenly it came to me to look on etsy.  Guess what?  I found it in my size..well almost.  I will have to take in the bust, but everything else is right.  Also, it was $17.95 plus shipping which brought it to only $20.45.  I never thought I would describe a pattern as ONLY costing $20, but when you have seen it for $95, then $20 seems cheap.  I already have the fabric I am going to use--a bright red linen blend that has been in my stash for years.  I will definitely make a muslin for this.  I have learned a valuable lesson the hard way on that.
     I have two more things I need to do before I make this dress.  I know it is going to be too cold soon to wear it, but I might could wear it to a Christmas gathering that is inside where it is warm.  Those two other things are two skirts.  I hope to have one to show you this weekend.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Congrats on your pattern score!!! That pattern is truly fabulous and I'm happy you were able to get it. I'm with you, $95 is just ridiculous to pay. Great fast thinking on your part. I can't wait until you whip this up. I know it will be gorgeous!!!!

fshnonmymind said...

I would have totally squealed too!! That dress looks gorgeous in the back and I would get totally excited about creating and wearing it.
I can't wait to see the final product.

Gail said...

I can't believe the price tag. I have an old Vogue Couture pattern from this era. I might trace and sell!