Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wearing What I Sew: Tuesday & Wednesday

One of the hobbies I enjoy doing, if you can call it a hobby, is to visit blogs where bloggers showcase what they wear.  Most of these blogs do not feature sewn items but mostly clothing from JCrew and Anthropologie.  I was really excited to see sewing bloggers featuring what they wear during Self-Stitched September.  I have considered for awhile featuring what I wear if it involves a sewn item, but I am so self-critical of my own pictures.  I see every wrinkle and every place where it doesn't fit exactly perfectly.    I have finally decided that we are our own worst critics and am just going to throw caution to the wind.  I have been wanting to blog more and this seems like a good way to do it, as I do wear alot of what I sew.  So here it goes.  This is what I wore Tuesday to work:
Cardigan: JCrew Bling Button Cardigan in lavendar (on sale)
Blouse: Old Navy
Skirt:  I made it and blogged about it here
Shoes:  Purple suede BCBGirls (about 5 years old)
Necklace:  from a local boutique for 50% off (not that you can really see the necklace)


This is what I wore Wednesday to work:
Dress:  I made it about 5 years ago out of black cotton/polyester broadcloth
It was one of the big 4 pattern companies, but I can't remember which one or find it in my pattern stash.
Necklace:  JCPenney
Bracelet:  Target
Shoes:  Steve Madden

16 comments:

Irene said...

You're right - we all are our own worst critics. However - have a good look at the stitching and seams of ready to wear - your own work will look infinitely better. Unfortunately, when you've made an item yourself, you know where every tiny glitch is. Can the rest of the world see this? Absolutely not.

Jamie said...

Both of these outfits are gorgeous. I don't see any imperfections in the pictures -- both outfits look flawless to me! I especially love the second look. Are your shoes green?

And it is so funny that you posted this dress, because I wore similar style to a fancy work dinner last night -- though I definitely didn't make the dress myself! It is a taffeta wrap dress with cap sleeves and a v-neck from Cache...originally almost $200, and I got it for $35. Not bad!

Karin said...

You see "faults" that the rest of us would never notice! It is inspiring to see a woman looking great in clothes she made herself. Your outfits stand up nicely against anything from JCrew or Anthropology.

Jana said...

Fabulous denim skirt!
Jana

Rachel said...

Jamie,
Those shoes are actually hot pink, green and gray. I love multicolored shoes.

Eugenia said...

Great outfits, very well put together! I particularly love that gorgeous dress.

FullertonRegan said...

"I have finally decided that we are our own worst critics and am just going to throw caution to the wind."

AMEN!

And those Maddens are fierce. Do you find that they hurt more than other shoes? I always have issues with Steve Madden shoes.

stitchywitch said...

I'm so glad you're doing this too - maybe it can be a movement! I love style blogs too, and often found myself wishing there were DIY style blogs. I think these outfits both look very rtw, and I love your shoes, especially the second pair. I'm trying to get into wearing more colorful heels, as it seems I have 900 pairs of black shoes and nothing else!

Amanda S. said...

Sometimes I have to let handmade items with imperfections "rest" in my closet for a few months. I find that I no longer obsess about the flaws after it's been awhile.

SShaw said...

I think posting your outfits is a great idea. I love your black wrap dress! Too bad you can't remember the pattern.

Cennetta said...

Two great outfit. What fun to catelog what you wore. Today, I wearing a wrap dress I made six years ago.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Gosh, you are stylin at work! I'd love to see more of the sewn outfits you wear.

Tasia said...

Cute wrap dress! I think it's McCalls 5314, it looks just like the one I'm wearing here!
http://sewaholic.net/self-stitched-satin-dress-day-twenty-two/
It's true, we're all so critical of our own work. Your outfits look fabulous!

Angela said...

I LOVE both of the outfits! You look awesome! We totally are our own worst critics!

Rachel said...

FullertonRegan,
I do find that Steve Madden shoes are a little uncomfortable, but so are my other heels. I would rather wear pretty shoes and deal with a little uncomfortableness. ISn't that silly? :( However, I do sit down about 80% of the time in my job, so that helps alot.

FullertonRegan said...

A to the MEN on that Rachel. I am a heels girl all the way, but Maddens more than any other brand just feel off. Doesn't stop me from buying them, mind you. I have a grey pair with an adorable ruffle detail on the back that's too cute to not put on, but I swear, if any shoes will make me slip and slide to my death it'll be those puppies.