Sunday, January 2, 2011

M5936 - Velveteen Polka Dot Jacket

Happy New Year everyone and belated Merry CHRISTmas!!! I have had a very enjoyable almost 3 weeks off work, but now it is time to go back to work.  God was very good to me this CHRISTmas.  I got lots of nice goodies, but in the way of sewing items, my husband surprised me with two things that I just absolutely love.  The first item is a Simplicity Bias Tape Maker .  I have never told him that I wanted one, but when I opened up the present, there it was!!!  Apparently the lady who owns my local fabric shop knows me very well, even though I have never said anything to her about a bias tape maker.  BTW, it was $20 cheaper than what it is on the Simplicity site.  Secondly, my sweet husband gave me a $50 per month gift certificate, or $600 per year, whichever comes first (and we all know what that will be :) to the same local fabric shop.  I am so excited about that because I stop in there alot to pick up interfacing, lining, buttons, zippers, etc--all those pesky things that add up over the course of a year  This will really take care of that.  Also, this store has some gorgeous fabric that I want, so I will be taking advantage of that. 
M5936
   I have been doing alot of sewing, too, but it doesn't seem like I have accomplished too much.  I think I need to rename my blog the "Slow Seamstress".  Part of the reason, though, is that I have tried to be a good little seamstress and make muslins.  This jacket that I made, M5936, is one such item I made a muslin for.  However, I learned a lesson that you need to use the same kind of fabric for your muslin as for the real items--i.e., don't make a muslin out of fabric with stretch and then the item out of fabric with no stretch.  I am sure all of you already knew that, and I did too, but it didn't stop me from doing it.  I guess I just didn't realize that the velveteen I worked with had absolutely ZERO stretch. 


front view

I had never worked with velveteen before, partly because it scares me to death.  I did some reading on how to handle it before I started.  This navy w/white polka dots velveteen came from fabric.com when it went on sale.  I don't have much money in it, so I figured if I destroyed it , I would not be out that much money.  However, the fabric is so cute that I wanted to be successful.  I tested out the iron on a piece of it.  I was able to iron the back of it by actually touching the iron to the fabric for a few seconds, and it did not mess up the pile. I don't remember what the fabric content of this velveteen is, but I would recommend testing out any velveteen before getting too brave with an iron.    I was also careful to cut all pieces with the nap going in the same direction (in this case, down). 
back view-it fits me better in the back than it does the dress form

I did not make any alterations to the pattern because my muslin fit well.  I was really nervous about sewing the curved seams on the front and back, but it was actually no problem at all with the velveteen.  I started out using tissue paper (the kind you put in gift packages)  under my fabric when sewing, but I finally stopped.  I could not tell that the presser foot was really leaving a mark, and the fabric did not slide any easier under the foot.  Speaking of which, the fabric did not slide very well under the presser foot.  I had to pull from the back to help it through.  I used a walking foot, but I think a roller foot would have been better.

front closure

The problem with using stretch vs. non-stretch fabric is that I could not actually button the jacket.  If it had some stretch in the fabric, I could have done the button closure.  I tried a couple of things, but I finally ended up sewing a small piece of fabric to one side of the front of the jacket and using what I call pants closures.  I really like the look of it without the buttons.

setting in sleeves
The most difficult part of this project was setting in the sleeves.  I don't enjoy doing that anyway, but it was particularly aggravating using velveteen.  I finally muscled them in with alot of pins.  


lining
The instructions for lining this jacket are the strangest I have ever seen.  If I had it to do over with I would just bag the lining.  However, I followed the instructions and just did not have the patience to line the sleeves like the instructions detailed.  The instructions had you to insert the sleeve lining into the sleeves and then turn it under at the armhole and sew it down.  I left them unlined.

Lastly, during our Christmas gathering with my side of the family, I stated that I had always wanted a Mama cat and newborn kittens.  I know my cat would never stand for that.  Well, my husband went out and bought me this stuffed Mama cat and kittens.  The attach to her belly via magnets. Aren't they cute?!?!?!
My cat has fallen in love with them.  See pics below.




To take care of some unfinished business, I was going to show you a pair of pants from Burda that I was working on.  Well, they were a failure, so I just threw them in the garbage can.  I still want to make a pair that fits, but I think they are harder than jackets, at least for me, and I don't find them to be fun to sew.  I have something to show you very soon, another anthropologie knock off.

I hope all of you have a blessed 2011!!!

14 comments:

SShaw said...

Looks great! We need to see how you style it though. ;)

Cindy said...

Very flattering and feminine lines of the jacket. Great construction!

Andrea said...

That jacket is beautiful. I love it. Your cat is too adorable.

knitoftime said...

Awwww, the kitty snuggling up to the other "kitty" is too cute!

Happy New Year!

Victoria said...

Happy New Year to you! Much kudos to you for sewing with velveteen and making such a lovely jacket!

KID, MD said...

That jacket is great - I can see why you wanted that fabric to be a success. It looks great! And those kitties are too adorable!!

Julia said...

Beautiful jacket. That was a great save on the closure! Brilliant!
Cute kitties!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

That jacket is stunning, even with its issues. It makes me want to sew a jacket with a peplum. Will you go up a size next time so that you can get it buttoned?

The sleeves of the dress I made in December were *incredibly* aggravating to set in. I wanted to cry on numerous occassions. I feel your pain there.

Sue said...

Cute kitties! I am with you on pant sewing - not fun!

gwensews said...

You did a terrific job on that jacket. See, nothing scary there! It looks fantastic.

Rachel said...

SShaw,
I will post an outfit in it probably next week.
A Sewn Wardrobe,
I will definitely go up a size next time. I am thinking of making a red velveteen version for next Christmas.

FullertonRegan said...

I made this short sleeved version last year and found the same thing about the fit. I managed to fanangle some buttons on there, but it makes for one snug little coat. I have three buttons vs. the two so there's no huge gap between the buttons. How did you feel about the length of the jacket? After wearing mine a couple of times I agreed with some of the other reviewers on Pattern Review -- it could use an inch or two more length to hit the waistline but it is super cute. Can't wait to see yours on & styled!

Rachel said...

FullertonRegan,
The length is okay on me, I think. I had read some reviews that it was a little short, but my muslin waist hit me right at my waist. I plan to wear it to work next week, if it is cold enough, so I will take a pic.

Debra Martin said...

Great jacket. Don't worry about being a slow seamstress. With results like that, you should be called the proud seamstress! Your husband did a great job with his CHRISTmas gift to you - another reason to be proud...
:)Deb M.