Sunday, March 20, 2011

Inspired by Anthropologie's Night Blooming Dress - S2724/S2403

Night Blooming Dress-anthropologie
     About a year ago, anthropologie came out with the Night Blooming Dress.  The bodice was a beautiful silk with birds and flowers on it and the skirt was a black fabric (I am not sure what type of fabric). It had pretty pleating at the neck.  But, it  retailed at about  $150-ish as many anthropologie dresses do.  I knew this dress would be a difficult one to knock off, not because of the style of it, but because of the fabric.  You can see a closeup of the bodice here.  I chose not to post a pic because it is from someone else's blog and I think I should probably link instead.

    The style of the dress is actually pretty simple, but finding similar fabric was another matter.  I looked and looked and finally gave up.  A couple of months ago, I was fabric shopping for something totally different and came across this lovely piece of cotton fabric by Alexander Henry.  I bought it here from Hancock's of Paducah.
Alexander Henry fabric
Even though it is not silk, it immediately reminded me of the bodice of the Night Blooming Dress.  It is a high quality cotton that actually feels like a nice linen instead of what I think of as cotton fabric.  I knew this was probably as close as I was going to get, so I ordered it.  I also ordered some black linen/rayon blend fabric from fabric.com.  I looked through my patterns and decided to use the pleated bodice and puff sleeves from S2724 and the skirt and waistband from S2403.  I also added the pockets that the pattern called for.  I don't have a dress with pockets so I thought they would be a fun change.


As far as the patterns are concerned, I followed the directions exactly and installed an invisible zipper on the side. The waist and darts did have to be tweaked a little on the skirt because the skirt from the pattern I used was higher waisted than the actual one in the pattern that went with the bodice I used. 


 badly fitting back
(sorry for the crooked pic)
   The dress does not have a back seam so to fix this, I made the darts go lower in the back and also took a deeper seam in them.

much better fitting back

I chose not to line the dress.  Since I was planning on using an invisible zipper and already had a waistband, I was afraid it would just make the seam too thick for one.   I did not put buttons down the front of the skirt like in the Night Blooming Dress. The silk bodice of Night Blooming Dress adds some elegance to the dress. Since my bodice is cotton fabric, I knew if I put buttons down the skirt  front, it would look too casual. I decided to use a less full skirt without buttons for a slightly more elegant look, not that I would call my dress elegant by any means. I think it is just a fun, Spring dress.


upclose of bodice

necklace:  JCPenney
Eggplant patent Mary Jane Heels:  Dillards (before they sold out to Belk)

I am thinking about adding a belt to the dress, but to make it stay put, I will have to add some belt loops.   I am on Spring Break next week, so  I am hoping to get some serious sewing done.  Until next time...

25 comments:

toy said...

very nice, I love your interpretations of the anthropologie design, they are very inspirational. Keep them coming!

Lori said...

This is a fantastic dress, yours looks so incredible. Great job, I always enjoy your Anthro-inspired garments

peacockchic said...

wow you did an amazingly wonderful job!!! Your version fits you, both in style and actual fit, to a "T"! Great job!

Julia said...

You are absolutely amazing. I like your version better than theirs!

Karin said...

Your version is really pretty. You are right, sometimes the hardest part of sewing is finding the fabrics and notions! This seems to get harder all the time.

meli88a said...

I love the fabric you found, it's a great fit for the inspiration dress.

Shari said...

Love the cotton fabric that you found. Your dress looks wonderful and fits you so well!

countrygirlcouture said...

I'm so jealous of your ability to knock off Anthropolgie so well! And also of your ability to get patterns to match up so well when you mix-n-match them...I always get a big 'ol mess when I try that.

Vanessa said...

Another great inspiration piece!

Marybeth said...

Wow - that is sooo pretty... I was planning on making the same pattern with an Alexander Henry fabric on the top... I started it last summer and never finished... It looks beautiful and inspires me to finish mine! Enjoy your spring break :)))

Renee said...

Lovely! I love seeing your inspired knock-offs. Enjoy your break.

Irene said...

Cute! Cute! Cute! You did a wonderful job.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

What a great interpretation of the Anthropologie dress!

vintageglammz said...

Great job! it looks almost identical to the Anthro dress.

Gail said...

This is one of your prettiest dresses yet. I have this pattern and really must use it.

cyberdaze said...

The original dress didn't really leap out at me, but your version is great! I think the slightly higher waist on yours makes all the difference.

otterine said...

Marvelous! :]

littlenashua said...

I love your Anthro knockoffs. I am not ready to try something like that yet, as these are more complicated patterns (I like dress patterns to have as few pieces possible, which is why I have made 3 of the New Look sheath dress - it's simple with only a front and back piece).

Both of the Simplicity patterns you used are on my radar. This looks really, really cute. I have not too many mix and match between patters but your results are encouraging. Very nice end result.

littlenashua said...

OK I meant to write "I have not done too many mix and match patterns." Wow I am starting to write like my students and not proofread!

Angela said...

Cute!! Love the top fabric!

Linda said...

I love this dress!!!It looks great on you. I really like the Alexander Henry fabric and may have to do searching for it for something I would like to make. Great job on combining both patterns.

Karen in VA said...

I really like your Anthro knock-offs....I may have to knock-off your knock-offs.... :)

Jamie said...

This turned out so wonderfully! The print on the bodice is really so fun and springy -- and I agree that the choice not to add buttons keeps this dress feeling polished. I've never seen the Night Blooming dress in person, but I'd say yours is a stellar recreation!

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

I'll keep saying it: You're amazing! What a gorgeous take on the Night Blooming! I'm going to come back to this post when I decide to take the plunge and MAKE myself learn to sew!

Sonia said...

Oh wow, it's love for me and your bodice! Thanks for sharing this... I think I need that pattern. And that fabric...!