Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kate Spade Bee Cardigan Knockoff

     First of all, thank you Readers for all the lovely, kind comments on my ruffle skirt.  They were wonderful to read and I really appreciate all your encouragement and support.
     Last year Kate Spade came out with a cardigan that I just gasped over when I saw it.  It is the Kate Spade Bumble Bee Sweater.
Emma Pilsbury wore it on Glee.  I don't watch Glee, but I certainly keep up with Emma Pillsbury's style.  I just love it.

There have been a couple of fantastic knockoffs of this cardigan that I know of at Grosgrain and Little Nashua
Here is my take on it.  I bought a black cardigan off the sale rack at JCPenney.  It has the prettiest rhinestone buttons on it. As soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect for the knockoff.  I bought an sequin applique bee off ebay and ironed it on.
I just love the little red heart antennae.  The white stitching is done with 4 strands of DMC floss.  This was the instant gratification project I have been looking for.
closeup of stitching
Here is how I wore it to work today.  I made this skirt before I ever started blogging.  It is a lightweight polyester material with a raised design in it.  I don't even remember the pattern I used.   The polka dot tights are from F21 and the Mary Janes are from Payless.

As I recall the Kate Spade sweater was $350ish (correct me if I am wrong) and mine cost less than $20.  Talk about instant gratification.
Have a Great Day!!!

23 comments:

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

You're so brilliant! This is awesome!! You've inspired me to try to do something similiar, perhaps with flowers, or even a bird?! So fun. I love the way this turned out.

overcaffeinated said...

I love this! I am definitely going to be trying this on one of my own cardigans. Hmm, I wonder if I can find an iron on applique at Michaels. Kinda want the instant gratification rather than getting it online.

Karin said...

What a great ebay find! It turned out fantastic.

Shari said...

Great cardi! I may give this a try myself.

toy said...

very nice! i love how this turned out

otterine said...

Love it!!! :]

SShaw said...

That's adorable! Great job knocking it off. As cute as it is, I can't believe it was going for $350. Your version is every bit as cute!

Vanessa said...

You are the knock-off queen for sure!!!

Rebecca said...

This is adorable. And I agree, Emma Pillsbury has great style! :]

Sharon said...

Another wonderful knock-off. You're quite an inspiration!

Peggy said...

super love it! My friend Molly, at My Closet Travels did a knock off of this too not too long ago. I need to try it!

Rebecca said...

I love instant gratification projects! Yours is great!

littlenashua said...

Super cute - we could be twins! I wore mine on Tuesday of this week with a similar outfit - a gold skirt that I made, black tights and silver Born Crown maryjanes. I need to make a yellow skirt to wear with mine, but I am having a hard time searching for the perfect yellow fabric. I went to Joanns yesterday but they had nothing that interested me.

Vida Costura said...

Hello, as always, you managed to inspire in a number eque see and create an even more charming. His coat was beautiful, do not lose anything to the original and got low cost. Could not be more perfect.

Hugs

Eilan - Brazil
___________________________________________
Olá, como sempre, você conseguiu se inspirar em uma peça eque vê e criar uma ainda mais charmosa. Seu casaco ficou lindo, não perde em nada para o original e ainda ficou com baixo custo. Não poderia ser mais perfeito.

Abraços

Eilane - Brasil
_____________________________________

Me! said...

Wow, this is super cute.

Eugenia said...

Great job - it looks fun and fabulous!

Sarah said...

Wow - great job!!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to meet other teachers (especially if I can drool over their sewing abilities)!!

Adrienne said...

Great knockoff!

Jamie said...

You did a fantastic job! I loved the original of this,but $350 is just so.much.moolah. Your version is fantastic, and it looks darling with the yellow skirt.

Kristina said...

You nailed it! I love recreating expensive things on the cheap...it's like we have a little conspiracy against the name-brands, no? =)
Kristina J.

Julia said...

This is fantastic!!!

kristin said...

LOVE it!

pdiddly said...

Love it and the price - not sure I would want to pay $300+ for it yours is better