Tuesday, March 29, 2011

More New Patterns...and Hair Update

      Thanks so much readers for the supportive comments about my hair travails.  Just an update:  The next day I decided something had to be done.  I woke up the next morning and my hair looked even worse.  It could have been because I did not have on makeup and had just woken up.  Anyway, I called a lady who does hair in my hometown that I have gone to before.  I had been to her at different times in the past, but I always leave and go to someone else because she does not use the modern color technique of foiling.  However, there is something to be said for experience, and she definitely knows hair color. I very calmly dialed her number and when she answered I burst into tears.  I don't know where it came from, but I think I had just been holding it in and it just all came gushing out.  She was very sweet and had an opening at that moment.  I jumped in the car and immediately went to her.  She fixed my hair.  I am so happy.  It is a nice medium brown with fine highlighting.  It is a little thinner because of breakage from the previous hairdresser, but it still has its length.  My goal now is to not do anything to it for awhile and just let it grow.  I would like to grow it six more inches and get my healthy naturally brown hair back.  Anyway, enough of that...onto more important things...like new patterns.
   I got an email from BMV this morning and immediately ordered some new patterns--like I needed any new ones.  I can never contain myself though when I get one of their emails.  The closest Hancock's or Hobby Lobby to me is 1 hour away and the closest Joann's is 2 hours, so I order from BMV when they have a sale.  I got some goodies.  I always love to see what patterns other bloggers buy, so I will share.
First up are the Butterick patterns I ordered.  I adore the triangle open back of this dress.  I have some fun stretch cotton sateen fabric from fashionfabricsclub that I might use to make this dress.

B5601

possible fabric for B5601


I also considered going in a totally different direction and trying a knockoff of anthropologie's Windowpane  dress.  I would have to draft a flounce for that, though.
back view of Windowpane Dress
 
Next is B5455.  I have long had my eye on this dress.  I have no clue what fabric I will use, but I probably won't use a large print like the one pictured first.  I want something that will show off the lines of the dress better.
B5455
Onto the McCalls patterns... First up is M6024. I really like the sleeveless version of this dress.
M6024
I have the fabric I want to use for this dress. It is a red polyester charmeuse with white polka dots that I bought on sale on a rare trip to Hancock's.  However, I don't think I have enough of it. GRRR!!!  I may have to get inventive in the way I cut it, or use a different fabric for the ruffle of the dress. 
    The next pattern is a top.  I want to use it to do a knockoff of anthropologie's Volante tee.
M6164
The last three I ordered are Vogue patterns.  I have long had my eye on this little beauty.  There are some gorgeous renditions of it on Patternreview.
V1174
The jury is still out on what fabric I will use, but I am thinking strongly about a watercolor cotton sateen I recently ordered from fabric.com. 

Sateen fabric

I also ordered a skirt pattern.  It is too long for my taste so I will have to shorten it a bit.  I will probably wait and sew this up in a small plaid for fall.  I really like the middle view of this skirt best.
V8296

Lastly, I ordered only one of the new Summer patterns that just came out.  Honestly, this was the only one that appealed to me.
V8296
My favorite view of this dress is the lovely cream version of it.

Isn't that just scrumptious?!?!

I made two dresses this past week that I was off for Spring Break.  It might be a couple of weeks before I debut them, because I like to take pics when I am actually wearing the dress somewhere.    One is my Easter dress, so it will be Easter before I blog about it.  In the meantime, I am working on another dress that I hope to finish by this weekend. 


11 comments:

Vanessa said...

Great choices! I heart B5455!! I'll have to stay tuned as you sew that one up! Also, that Anthropologie windowpane dress is so uniquely beautiful. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with for that one!

Steph- Anthro-esque said...

Yea! for getting your hair fixed!
And another Yea for the new patterns!

I really like V1174, it's so classic.
I can't wait to see your version of the windowpane dress....

Karin said...

Nice pattern picks! I am glad that your hair is now in a shape you can live with. It will grow and fill back in before you know it, meanwhile you can distract yourself by making all those lovely dresses! I can't wait to see 'em :-)

Peggy said...

great patterns! I can't wait to see your 2 new dresses!

Andrea said...

Oooo, I just picked up B5601 this weekend too. And ditto to what Vanessa said, I love seeing your knock offs. I'm sure the windowpane dress will be amazing. :)

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I think you could draft a flounce rather easily to knock off that Anthro dress. It'd be worth trying!

Sharon said...

Yea! Glad to read your hair is fixed. Lovin' the pattern choices - in fact I have a few of those myself. Unlike you I'm really liking a lot of the newest Spring Vogue designs.

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

I'm so glad you got your hair taken care of, and that YOU feel better about it. All of your new patterns are full of so much possibility. It's so exciting! Are you sure you can't move to TX and teach me to sew? Can't wait to see what your creative, busy fingers have been up to (hint-hint: Easter dress!)

Angela said...

So glad you were able to get your hair fixed right away! Those are some great patterns, too! Oh happy day! :)

Rosy said...

It is very important to feel good about herself, and her hair is as important as the face, I'm happy you got to fix it. Love the patterns.

Laura said...

Rachel,

Ouch on your hair! I've had the same thing happen to me. Mine doesn't seem to be growing back very well.

What a fabulous line-up of Spring and Summer Patterns and Fabrics.

I'm in love with your idea to incoorporate the flounce of the Window Pane dress into B5601.

I think you should go with the Sateen Fabric for V1174. The print is reminiscent of Anthro's Wisteria Halter Dress.