Thursday, March 3, 2011

S2475- A Ruffly Confection Inspired by Anthropologie

Last year, anthropologie came out with a very cute skirt by Leifsdottir called the "Coming and Going Skirt" in several colors.

I believe it also may have come in a navy.  It retailed at over $200 as I recall, but eventually went on sale for under $100 I believe.  I never bit the bullet when it went on sale because I said to myself, "I can do that", or at least something similar. Also, it was still just a little more than I wanted to pay for a skirt.  I just put in on my long "Things to Knock Off" list.  I was recently in my local fabric shop and saw a lovely Michael Miller light gray polka dot cotton fabric.  It said to me, "I want to be your skirt." I did not buy it at the time even though it kept calling to me every time I went in the store.  I just wasn't quite sure yet how I wanted to approach doing a replica or something similar.  I was perusing the reviews at Pattern Review one day and just happened upon a review of S2475 using an alteration on the Joann's website.  I would link you to the review, but I can't find it anymore. :(  



       I will just say from the outset that I hated sewing this skirt pattern. I loved sewing the added details of the pleats and ruffles, but I hated sewing the actual basic skirt.   It is one of those that has the Slim, Average, and Curvy fit. I don't like those patterns because I find them too confusing to determine my fit.  I know it is supposed to make it easier, but I am just weird that way.   I just went with Average in the usual size I make.  The pattern calls for 5/8 in seams except for one seam that is labeled 1" on the pattern sheet.  I did exactly as the pattern described and when I tried it on, it swallowed me.  I went back and did one inch seams everwhere, tapering out to 5/8 from the hips down to make it fit.  I suspect I chose the wrong size or fit--who knows?
     For the basic skirt, I used some cheapo fabric.com linen blend in a lt gray color from my ever growing stash  (I will do post on that in the future)  since it wasn't going to show anyway.  You can see on this skirt where I marked the placement of the fabric strips.



I moved the zipper to the back and did only one seam vent (is that what they are called?) in the back.  The alteration to this skirt calls for 11 strips of fabric cut on the bias, but I only used 9. 

   I originally planned to use an invisible zipper.  I inserted it using a wonderful tutorial from Adventures in Dressmaking.  It is the absolute best invisible zipper tutorial I have ever seen-it is pure genius!!!  When I got the zipper in and tried to zip it up, I had lots of problems. I jerked and jerked on it and finally got it to zip up.  I looked to see if my stitching was too close and I could not tell that it was.  I put the skirt on and again began to yank and yank my zipper to try to get it to go up.  Guess what, I broke the zipper.  GRRRRRR!!!!
   I took it out, bought another zipper, and redid it.  It still gave me some problems zipping up, though not as badly as before.  After reading this post on The Slapdash Sewist, I have come to the conclusion that my fabric is just too thick for an invisible zipper.  I have the layer of fabric that is the actual skirt, then folded strips of fabric with overlap--5 layers of fabric in some places.  I finally threw my hands up and put in a regular zipper. I am happy, though, that I originally put in an invisible zipper so that I could learn this tutorial.  I will be using it from here on out for invisible zippers.  Anyway, I did not line the skirt because it already has so many layers.  I serged the seams inside and I am just going to wear a slip. 
The circles that form the ruffles have a narrow hem that I made using my narrow hem foot.  I really dreaded that part, but it wasn't so bad. 
narrow hem closeup

narrow hem foot closeup


Although it is not an exact replica, it reminds me so much of the anthropologie skirt.
Here is how I wore it in an outfit to work today
Cardigan:  Old Navy
Blouse:  Old Navy
Yellow patent heels: Payless
Necklace:  etsy seller

I am SO HAPPY that I am through with this skirt.  WHEW!!! It took forever with the zipper mishaps.  I am seriously ready for an instant gratification project.  I have so many things on my list that I want to make, but I am determined that the next thing off that list will be quick and easy.  Have a Great Day!

64 comments:

The Watts Watch said...

I LOVE it! You're so talented!

Lori said...

Wondeful skirt. Thanks for all the helpful links.

couturearts said...

I like yours much better than the original. It is adorable,especially with the cardigan.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Oh my gosh, this is so fabulous and inspired. It's so impressive that you thought through how to put this together, and then exectuted it so fantastically. Your outfit rocks! People are going to be staring at work today.

Amanda S. said...

Wow, girl, this is gorgeous!!! I downloaded that pattern too because I thought all those ruffles are super fun. Love the fit and fabric you chose. The entire outfit is really cute!

Erika said...

I think it's cuter than the original! Well done

Shannon said...

What a cool skirt! I love your fabric choice- I think yours looks better than the inspiration skirt! And I love the way you've styled it with the yellow cardi and funky necklace! Great outfit!

Adrienne said...

This is stunning!!!!

overcaffeinated said...

That skirt is beautiful! I love it so much more than the original Anthropologie skirt. Love how you styled it with the yellow cardigan and the bubble necklace.

otterine said...

Honestly, I like yours better. It fits your shape so well and you can really tell a lot of work went into it. Bravo!

Mama Violet said...

Pretty skirt! The complete look is lovely.

Vanessa said...

I love when you create Anthropologie inspired pieces! This skirt is exceptional! Oh, and thanks SO MUCH for the invisible zipper tutorial link! I am working on an invisible zipper insertion at this moment!

Skittl1321 said...

Gorgeous! Your skirt is way cuter than the original, IMO.

I wish I could adapt patterns like this- maybe someday I won't just follow blindly. This skirt is SO pretty!

Jana @ The Summer House said...

Fabulous outfit. The grey/yellow combo is my favorite.
Jana

Steph said...

I love your interpretation of the "coming and going" skirt. And am so impressed with your sewing abilities- they are far beyond my skill level but I'm thankful for people like you who inspire me!

Steph

http://anthroesqueclothing.blogspot.com/

Peggy said...

you are amazing -I will say it again! Yours is BETTER than the Anthro one!

Julia said...

This skirt is amazing! I love it! I also love the way it looks with that yellow cardigan! Wonderful!

Vida Costura said...

Sua saia ficou muito mais bonita que a antropologie, muito original e delicada.

Parabéns

Eilane - Brasil

{jen} said...

I LOOOOVVVVEEE this skirt. Need to make myself one ASAP.

(Thought you might want a little drama there...)
:)

Stephanie said...

Looks great I'll have to put it on my ever growing projects that I want to try list. Hopefully soon though.

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

Holy cow! This is SEW, SO cute!! I love it in every way. Only now I want one....You're amazing! I love this version of the coming and going so much better, because it's modest! Love it love it love it love it!!!

Abigail said...

I hope you got lots of compliments at work! Gorgeous skirt and fantastic styling.

JoanneM said...

Breathtaking!

Grace said...

Wow - this is amazing! Fabulous work - I love! Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere was wearing this on her blog last Spring and I wanted it oh so badly.

I need to learn how to sew.

AllisonC said...

This is a great skirt, although your inspiration is the Anthropologie skirt you have totally made this one your own, brilliant!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

I LOVE this skirt! The color, the pattern and fit on you is fantastic! I think your skirt is far superior because I read reviews that the original comings & goings skirt was a little short, people didn't like the exposed side zipper and the ruffles had a habit of standing straight up, especially in the back - talk about unflattering for that expensive a piece.

Jamie said...

Once again, you've created an Anthro-inspired piece that is so much cuter than the original -- and for a fraction of the price. I'm so impressed! I like the added length on your version and think that the placement of the ruffles looks like it could be much more flattering (even for someone with 'childbearing hips' like moi!). And the soft gray color looks so lovely with against the light yellow of your cardigan. Everything about this outfit is absolutely breathtaking.

cyberdaze said...

Wow! That is beautiful. Also I am envious of your lovely neat narrow hems...mine never come out so tidy.

Angela said...

I think your skirt is even better than the Anthropolgie one!! Great job!

Sharon said...

Omg I can't believe you MADE that! WOW. I'm like so impressed and definitely glad I stumbled on your blog today :). That's amazing! I like your skirt better than Anthropologie. I so wish I could make my own clothes too. For one thing they fit you perfectly because it's made to size, and second thing, you can make it exactly what you want it to look like! Must learn to sew one day, you've inspired me :)

http://sharonmoh.com
Sharon @ Fun and Life

I don't normally like leaving my link but I don't use blogspot and your blog doesn't have the Name/URL option available. Just so you know where I'm coming from :)

{jen} said...

I LOVE this skirt. Hope it's ok- I featured you on my blog:

http://icandyhandmade.blogspot.com/2011/03/eyecandy-anthro-inspired-ruffly.html

toy said...

beautiful skirt, great job, I love how this turned out.

Shannon said...

I like yours better than Anthro's!

Sharon said...

Love it! Love the entire look actually. I downloaded that pattern too! I don't have a narrow hem foot - I do mine the old-fashioned (and slow) way. Your narrow hems look really nice.

senaSews said...

Wow, what a cute and adorable skirt. And your outfit is fantastic. Great knock-off.

Moushka said...

One of the most fantastic skirts I've seen in years - better than the original. The way you styled it with the yellow cardi and white ruffled blouse is inspired.

MAD14kt said...

Nice job!!!

Rosy said...

Actually you are a clever seamstress! I am "hooked " on your blog. It's a source of inspiration for me.

Verity Clothing said...

This is so cute! The entire outfit is just absolutely adorable. It looks like it was a lot of hard work, but it was definitely worth it. Great job!

Sarah said...

WOW - this skirt is beautiful!!! I like it even better than the one from anthro! Nice job!!

Sarah at Classroom Chic

virginiamae said...

So cute! Love it! =) I have my narrow hem footing waiting for me at the store. Just have to go and get it. I'm excited to have it for my machine to make ruffling easier.

Susan said...

Nice!

Linda said...

Love the skirt! Great job!

Tin (ni Johann) said...

Lovely skirt!

(If you ever decide to make one for selling?) ^_^

Leah said...

Just found your blog...gotta say - this outfit is ADORABLE! Great work. Love your creations!

Alyssa said...

wow! I just found your blog searching for this Simplicity pattern, and love your modifications, fabric choice & styling! This does NOT say home-sewn... Inspiring.

Julianne said...

Wow! I love your skirt much much more than the anthro one. I think the way you styled it was perfect as well! I saw your skirt on pinterest, and since I am a lover of shoes and sewing, I am bookmarking your blog!

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

I think that skirt is basically AMAZING. I love how it turned out. And I love the color. Grey is favorite for me right now.

Andrea said...

I just found this on Pinterest! So cute. Nice work!!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

Adrienne said...

Wow! I really love your outfit. Gorgeous!
allstyleandallsubstance.com

Sean & Carly said...

I absolutely LOVE this skirt. Would you mind sharing where you got the polka dot fabric? I have been searching for that exact type of fabric forever!
carly.delise at gmail.com

THANKS!

thetwistedruffle said...

i just found your post on pinterest. this is so absolutely amazing. and, you look amazing in this! oh, i've never sewn a skirt before, but, i'm itching to now!!!

frannyfrufru said...

You're skirt is gorgeous and so much better than the anthropologie one! I would pay in the 90's for it and wouldn't even consider buying the anthro one. although, i typically love love love their clothes. I'm so jealous of your talent!

Sewing said...

Where did you get the fabric? I love it!

mweldon24 said...

Your skirt is amazing and I am going to try and get a family member to make me one :) But I am seriously confused on pattern you used..did you use the skirt and on the number at the top and just free hand it? Sorry I'm not by any means any good at any of this stuff about making clothes :) wondering if you could email me how to do it or ideas I can pass on..thank you so much!!
mweldon3307@gmail.com

LeighAnn said...

It's not a replica - it's better! And the tutorial is very well done! Thank you!

LeighAnn said...

You should try the book "Sew What Skirts". It has a formula for taking your measurements and making your own pattern. I'll bet you can get it at the library.

lsaspacey said...

Wow, I picked up a free leaflet at JoAnns a few years ago that also had instructions to make this skirt using a different method. If I can find it I will post it on my Pinterest Free Patterns group.

Anshu said...

This is such a cute skirt.

Chetta's Thoughts & Things said...

the link to the Joann Fabric tutorial is
http://www.joann.com/tiered-ruffled-skirt/prod390076/

Loretta Young
www.baubles-boutique.com

mmcgre01 said...

I know I'm late to this party...but I just ready about you through another Blogger - all I can say is WOW!! I'm inspired... you have a new follower. Great outfit - it's fabulous!

Lisa said...

Cutest ever! I like it sooo much better than the Anthropologie one...the diagonal of the ruffles is going to be way more flattering on more body shapes than one that has a ruffle across the width of the hips. Great job!

Tiffany Sturges said...

I know I am about five years late posting this, but I agree with many of the previous posts. This skirt is so much cuter than the original. You did a fabulous job!!! I have limited sewing skills and wish that they were good enough to make something that adorable!!!

Tiffany Sturges said...

I know I am about five years late in posting this but I full agree with many of the previous comments. Your skirt is far better and classier that the original. I have limited sewing skills and would never be able to pull something such as that off. Very well done!!!!