I believe it also may have come in a navy. It retailed at over $200 as I recall, but eventually went on sale for under $100 I believe. I never bit the bullet when it went on sale because I said to myself, "I can do that", or at least something similar. Also, it was still just a little more than I wanted to pay for a skirt. I just put in on my long "Things to Knock Off" list. I was recently in my local fabric shop and saw a lovely Michael Miller light gray polka dot cotton fabric. It said to me, "I want to be your skirt." I did not buy it at the time even though it kept calling to me every time I went in the store. I just wasn't quite sure yet how I wanted to approach doing a replica or something similar. I was perusing the reviews at Pattern Review one day and just happened upon a review of S2475 using an alteration on the Joann's website. I would link you to the review, but I can't find it anymore. :(
I will just say from the outset that I hated sewing this skirt pattern. I loved sewing the added details of the pleats and ruffles, but I hated sewing the actual basic skirt. It is one of those that has the Slim, Average, and Curvy fit. I don't like those patterns because I find them too confusing to determine my fit. I know it is supposed to make it easier, but I am just weird that way. I just went with Average in the usual size I make. The pattern calls for 5/8 in seams except for one seam that is labeled 1" on the pattern sheet. I did exactly as the pattern described and when I tried it on, it swallowed me. I went back and did one inch seams everwhere, tapering out to 5/8 from the hips down to make it fit. I suspect I chose the wrong size or fit--who knows?
For the basic skirt, I used some cheapo fabric.com linen blend in a lt gray color from my ever growing stash (I will do post on that in the future) since it wasn't going to show anyway. You can see on this skirt where I marked the placement of the fabric strips.
I moved the zipper to the back and did only one seam vent (is that what they are called?) in the back. The alteration to this skirt calls for 11 strips of fabric cut on the bias, but I only used 9.
I originally planned to use an invisible zipper. I inserted it using a wonderful tutorial from Adventures in Dressmaking. It is the absolute best invisible zipper tutorial I have ever seen-it is pure genius!!! When I got the zipper in and tried to zip it up, I had lots of problems. I jerked and jerked on it and finally got it to zip up. I looked to see if my stitching was too close and I could not tell that it was. I put the skirt on and again began to yank and yank my zipper to try to get it to go up. Guess what, I broke the zipper. GRRRRRR!!!!
I took it out, bought another zipper, and redid it. It still gave me some problems zipping up, though not as badly as before. After reading this post on The Slapdash Sewist, I have come to the conclusion that my fabric is just too thick for an invisible zipper. I have the layer of fabric that is the actual skirt, then folded strips of fabric with overlap--5 layers of fabric in some places. I finally threw my hands up and put in a regular zipper. I am happy, though, that I originally put in an invisible zipper so that I could learn this tutorial. I will be using it from here on out for invisible zippers. Anyway, I did not line the skirt because it already has so many layers. I serged the seams inside and I am just going to wear a slip.
The circles that form the ruffles have a narrow hem that I made using my narrow hem foot. I really dreaded that part, but it wasn't so bad.
narrow hem closeup
narrow hem foot closeup
Here is how I wore it in an outfit to work today
Cardigan: Old Navy
Blouse: Old Navy
Yellow patent heels: Payless
Necklace: etsy seller
I am SO HAPPY that I am through with this skirt. WHEW!!! It took forever with the zipper mishaps. I am seriously ready for an instant gratification project. I have so many things on my list that I want to make, but I am determined that the next thing off that list will be quick and easy. Have a Great Day!