Sunday, April 3, 2011

Giraffe Dress (V8489) and Refashioned Cardigan

During my week off of Spring Break, I managed to get two dresses made and another cut out.  I wore one of the dresses to church this morning.  It is Vogue 8489.
I made the sleeveless view in a stretch rayon blend jersey knit from fabric.com.  For the contast, I used some leftover Vera Wang ivory rayon knit that I bought when it was on sale for 1.95/yd at fabric.com a few months ago.  I followed the instructions for making the dress exactly, so there isn't much to say there.  I did find figuring out my size to be challenging, though.  I usually make a 12 for woven fabric and either a 10 or a 12 for knit pattern, depending on the bust measurement marked on the pattern piece.  When I looked at the bust measurement on the pattern piece, it looked like I should go up to a size 14.  I was really afraid to do that because of this dress being a knit, so I took a deep breath and cut into my fabric using the size 12.  It fits,   so I guessed correctly. WHEW!!       The only alterations I made is that I hemmed the dress a little shorter than it is pictured and I omitted the zipper.  I just don't understand a zipper in a knit dress.  I didn't worry about trying to do any pattern matching on the back seam because I think that would have been impossible with this print., or more trouble than I was willing to take.



    It is interesting to me that Vogue calls this pattern "Easy Options".  This pattern was not what I call easy.  Now, I didn't find it to be difficult at all, but I have been sewing for 11 years.  I pity some poor, unsuspecting beginner who picks this pattern up thinking it would be "easy" for them to start with.  There are some weird angles at the neckline and waistband that require some finagling in order to get them to match up with seams.

It was a little cool when I stepped outside this morning, so I wore a cardigan that I refashioned from a sweater I picked up during my first thrifting adventure.  I began with a simple U-neck cardigan that I cut up the front and attached bias tape to each side.   I made the bias with my Simplicity Bias Tape Maker that I got for Christmas.   I added some buttons bought at my local sewing store.
sweater in original form
refashioned into a cardigan
button and bias band closeup\

I cannot take credit for coming up with this method for refashioning a sweater.  That credit goes to Kathleen Frances at Grosgrain.  Here is the tutorial.  
   Here is how I wore the dress in my church outfit:

necklace:  local boutique for 75% off
sea green peeptoes:  Dillards from years ago

    Well, all my patterns that I ordred (and my fabric that I forgot to mention :)  has come in.  I have big plans and a couple of more dresses to show you.  Happy Sewing!!!

14 comments:

Bonny D said...

I think you made a super cute outfit.
The sweater refashion looks fantastic.

Rebecca said...

I love that dress, so cute. I might have to try that sweater refashion, yours looks very nice. :]

alethia said...

lovely and cute. Love the fabric.

Amanda S. said...

Cute, cute, cute! I made this dress several years ago and couldn't get it over my body without the zipper because of the interfaced back bands. So for me the zipper was a must. But usually I agree about them not being necessary in knit garments. Very fun tutorial too. I'm going to keep this in mind the next time I'm at Goodwill. Keep the dresses coming!

Vanessa said...

Pretty combination!

gwensews said...

That's a terrific giraffe print dress. The red sweater looks really great with it.

Vida Costura said...

Olá, seu vestido é lindo, amo a estampa e a cor. Mas o que mais gostei foram seus sapatos Rsss.

Abraços

Eilane - Brasil

Adrienne said...

Very pretty!

Irene said...

Adorable. Love the giraffe print. The cardigan really does complete the look.

peacockchic said...

Love your dress!! As soon as I saw your version this dress went into the must make archives!! Can't wait until the next Vogue sale.

Thanks for the Amazing inspiraton!

Eugenia said...

That is a very lovely dress - I love animal prints and this one is particularly gorgeous and attractive. Pairing it with your amazing refashioned cardigan has made a fabulous looking outfit!

featherfactor said...

Wow what a lovely outfit and you are so talented to have refashioned your sweater into a cardigan! The color is very pretty and you'll have an entirely unique item :) Hope you had a great weekend!

www.featherfactor.com

Laura said...

I love the Brown Giraffe Print with the Sweater refashioned into a Cardi. I couldn't imagine how frustrated it would be to select a beginners pattern that was in fact advanced. I would probably destroy yards of expensive fabric.

MAD14kt said...

WOW! thanks for sharing about the cardigan. With this tutorial I will have all I need...FIESTA :)