Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!!! Burda 11-2007-106

Happy Easter, Everyone!!! Jesus is RISEN!!! 

My Easter dress this year is Burda 11-2007-106. I have loved this dress pattern for quite awhile, but could never manage to get my hands on a copy of 11-2007 Burda magazine.  Finally, I was looking around on ebay one day and there it was.  It was the German version, but the English instructions were included, so I snapped it up.

Here is how the original dress was made in the Burda magazine.


I did the reverse on mine.  I made my bodice a light pink and the skirt black.  The bodice is made from charmeuse satin in baby pink ordered from fabric.com and the skirt is a black polyester shantung that I bought at my local fabric shop. 
   The construction of the dress was not hard at all, but I would say a little fiddly with all the ruffle gathering. The instructions were quite good, even for Burda magazine.  I followed the directions and did not line it.  However, if I had it to do over again, I would line it simply because the facing at the neckline wanted to flip out. I don't mind facings, but I have decided I don't prefer them with slippery fabrics.   I sewed coins into the facing to give it some weight so it will stay down.  Since I did not line the dress, I pressed the seams flat and serged the edges of the seams.  Also, I curved the back seam in as I sewed it to make it fit my lower back better. 
      For the ruffles at the neck and armholes, I did a rolled hem in pink rayon embroidery thread on the edge.  I just could not stomach narrow hemming them, particularly since they are made of slippery charmeuse fabric. I used elastic thread to make a little loop at the back neck and fastened it with a pearl button. 
rolled hem edge



upclose of bodice

 Here is my finished version.
    

  The dress as styled by Burda has a very classic look to it, but I decided to make mine a little more funky.  I love to play with color combinations, so I am wearing a yellow belt and these awesome shoes I bought a few years ago for a steal.  They are "Saki" by Carlos Santana.   Here is an upclose look at them.  They have pink, lavendar, yellow and orange in them. 


I hope you have a  Happy Easter and a wonderful week next week!!!

15 comments:

meli88a said...

Oh my. I thought, "lovely dress"... and then I saw the shoes. They. are. awesome. Floral, pink, and leopard print all in one shoe? That is such the win!

Vicki said...

Very pretty dress!

Laura said...

Love how you made this dress your own by flipping the bodice and skirt color. I'm with meli88a. Your heels are an amazing mix of everything that's feminine and girly.

Happy Easter!

Vanessa said...

Pretty in pink and black!

Peggy said...

Those shoes are beyond awesome! I saw some Carlos wedges at Ross the other day I loved- full of pattern! Your dress looks fab as usual- it reminds me of an Anthro one from last year!

Aleisha Z. Coleman said...

fabulous all around! well done and accented!
aleisha
cutefatandshort.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

Beautiful dress! And those shoes are a fabulous accessory! I hope you had a wonderful Easter and Jesus is Risen INDEED!

Debra Martin said...

Love those shoes and your rolled hem is perfect!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Congratulations on finally getting your hands on this pattern and making it. You look great in it.

Shannon said...

That's a cool dress and your version is gorgeous!

Trudy Callan said...

Your dress is totally gorgeous! And your shoes, too. Wow! I went back through several of your posts, and I am amazed at all of your creations. You have such great style. And I love how you make each piece your own and come up with your own ideas. I thought I was following you. Don't know how I missed that. But anyway, I am remedying that now and signing up as a follower and putting you on my blog roll. Thanks so much for having me on your blog roll. That is such an honor. And thank you to for the compliment of my having a beautiful family. I look forward to continuing to follow your sewing journey.

Trudy Callan said...

Referring to your March 29th post, I really love the vintage looking dress just underneath the skirt labeled V8296. This dress is also marked V8296. Would you be able to tell me what the pattern number is for the dress? I think it is mislabeled. Thank you.

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

I love this dress! I especially love your own version, using the yellow belt for a pop of color. You nailed it! I hope you felt fabulous all day, cause you certainly look it!

Kristina Clemens said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Love it...you did a great job!

Lynneb said...

It's FAB. U. LOUS!