Thursday, June 30, 2011

Spring Outfit: S2501/S5259

I have been wanting to make myself a JCrew inspired "watercolor pencil skirt" for sometime and have been waiting for the perfect fabric to come along.  I follow alot of fashion blogs and I saw a blogger pair a pindot blouse from anthropologie with a similar anthropologie watercolor skirt.  I just fell in love with the outfit.
Here is the anthro shirt and skirt that was worn together.

Picture Frame Blouse

Penciled Abronia Skirt
I decided I had to make something similar.  I bought some Lipstick pindot cotton shirting from fabric.com when it went on sale and some Kerri Stretch Sateen and set about making my outfit.  This pindot shirting is so soft it feels almost like cotton lawn.
For the blouse, I chose Simplicity 2501, View D, that had been in my pattern stash for awhile.
I have long loved this pattern and have just been waiting for the perfect fabric to come along.  I made the blouse exactly according to pattern instructions with the only alteration being that I used 3/8" elastic in the sleeves instead of the recommended 1/4".  That was only because my local fabric shop was out of 1/4".   The red buttons are from my stash of buttons.  This is currently my favorite blouse. 

Here is my blouse being modeled by my dress form, Lady Burgundy.  Lady Burgundy is just not herself anymore.  She has become mis-adjusted somehow and I can't get her fixed.  I really need to invest in a quality dressform.  Anyway, here is the blouse:
front

back

sleeve closeup
 
For the skirt, I used S5259, View D.

Readers, this is the perfect pencil skirt pattern.  I will definitely be using it in the future again.  I made the skirt with no alterations except that I added a lining.  I attached the  lining to the waistband facing so that I would have a nice clean finish on the inside.  The lining is a pinkish/lavender basic polyester.
skirt front

skirt back

lining
This sateen fabric is currently my favorite piece of fabric I have ever bought.  I just LOVE the colors in it.  I bought enough to make a dress from it, too. 
Here is how I wore the outfit:
The shoes I am wearing are knockoffs of Anthropologie's Anticipation Heels.  I got these at Ruche.com for much less than the original anthropologie heels.  Here is a closeup of the anthro version, but mine look exactly like them.

Until next time, Happy Sewing!!! Have a great 4th of July!!

11 comments:

Aminat said...

What a great combination, love your skirt and as usual those shoes are so lovely

Rebecca said...

This is such a cute outfit! That fabric is amazing!

Rebecca said...

Love your outfit! Wear did you get that gorgeous sateen? Sateen is my new favorite fabric to sew with.

Irene said...

Absolutely lovely!

Audrey said...

How cool, I am wearing my version of the same blouse pattern today. I have never worn it with a skirt. Your lovely outfit has inspired me to give it a try. Wonderful skirt fabric! so so pretty!

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

What a sweet outfit Rachel! The print in that skirt is TDF. The outfit is a great knockoff of your inspiration photo.

Gail said...

Love the skirt. I've made a different version of this blouse. It looks so different with the tie neck.

Trudy Callan said...

Your blouse and skirt are gorgeous.

Cennetta said...

Great looking outfit. I want those shoes. Lol

Laura (GeoInCalifornia) said...

This is truly an Anthro inspired outfit done your way. My friend ordered the Pin Dot Blouse. The neckline was too low cut for comfort. Your Blouse has a classic cut, and the neckline is appropriate for any occasion. I'd love to see this outfit with a narrow belt.

I've seen those heels for $40 at Modcloth.

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

That fabric was a GREAT find! I could see this skirt being a hit at J. Crew or Anthro any season!