Awhile back I started to get serious about doing a knock-off of it, so I began to look for fabric. I found plenty of red and white striped cotton fabric, but it was all very regular striped. If you notice on the anthropologie dress, there are four red stripes and then a white space. I finally quit looking, and one day when I was on Gorgeous Fabrics looking for something totally different, I spied this fabric. I linked to it, but as I am writing only 5 yards are left. I believe it was on sale at the time I bought it.black/white version of this fabric at Gorgeous Fabrics.
The fabric is not exactly like the anthropologie fabric, but it is closer than I thought I would ever get. Before I found the fabric, I had already decided on the pattern: Simplicity 2248.
I made the first view on the first row of the line drawings. I did not extend the wraps around into a bow, but I just inserted the edges into the side seams instead. I knew I wanted to be able to wear a cardigan with it when it gets cooler, and the bow would just get in the way. Also, the straps were not long enough to tie into a nice bow once I got them made--(Make your straps about 1.5 feet longer if you go that route). Also, since there is a definite right/wrong side to this fabric, I cut extra straps, sewed right sides together, and turned them inside out instead of making the narrow hems down the edges. I avoid doing narrow hems when I can, although I will do them when necessary.
I made a muslin of this dress and had to pinch out some in the yoke back. I drew where it needed pinching out, cut it in the middle, and brought the lines together. Then I taped it together and smooshed it as flat as I could. Is "smooshed" a proper sewing term? Anyway, here is a pictorial of the process.
Draw in dart representing area needing to be pinched out
Slice up the middle
Bring lines together, smoosh flat, tape, and smoosh flat some more.
I don't know if this is proper sewing technique, but it worked and it fits. I also had to taper in from 5/8 inch to 7/8 inch out to the armhole where the yoke back attached to the back skirt to remove gaping at the back armhole. I also had to taper in to 7/8 inch at the front neckline to eliminate front neck gaping.
Here is the finished product of the front and back. Mine is not an exact replica of the Anthropologie Regatta dress, but I did not want a strapless dress. Mine is more of an inspired version.
Blue velvet shoes: Nine West
Necklace: New York & Company
If you notice, the pleats on the back skirt are a little hiked up. I promise they don't really look that way. It is because I have raised my arms and shoulders a little to hold up my hair so you can see the open back at the neck. If I had noticed this before taking off the dress, I would have retaken the pic. Happy Sewing!!!