Friday, August 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Fabric!!!

I celebrated my birthday yesterday and finally got to open my gifts of fabric.  I already knew what I was getting (I ordered it) but my husband said I had to wrap it up and open it on my birthday.  I love it when other bloggers share fabric purchases, so I will share mine.  I will also share my plans for it, but those plans are always subject to change.  Here is picture of all of it laid out in all its glory.


I will describe it left to right from the back row to the front row.
The first piece is a rayon/lycra knit print from EmmaOneSock. Here is a closeup from the website.


I found out about this fabric from the wonderful blog Welcome to the gOOd life.  This it the exact same fabric that the anthropologie Gathered Hemlock Dress is made from.  Guess what I am going to do?  Yes, I plan to make a knockoff, as did Sarah on her blog, but I am going to use B5674. I just have to wait until Hancock's puts the pattern on sale so I can get it.

Next up is this stretch cotton ombre print from Mood Fabrics.

I have been looking for awhile for a fabric to use to knockoff anthropologie's Dreaming in Green Skirt.  I am going to have to take a basic pencil skirt pattern and draft the skirt from it.  That will take a little work.
     The royal blue gabardine on the back row is from Hancock's fabric.  The first time I saw Victoria Beckham's Carmontelle Dress, I almost fell down from the beauty of it.  There are lots of images of it online if you just google it.  It also comes in gray, but for some reason, I want mine in royal blue.  S2282 is a close enough copy for me to be happy with. 


The tan striped fabric on the back row is ticking from Country Curtains.  I almost had a spell when I first saw anthropologie's Bold Boutonniere Dress  last year. I have wondered what to use for the skirt fabric until awhile back Kristina on her blog, Kristina J, made a knockoff using ticking.  I knew immediately I had to do the same thing.  I am going to make the bodice of the dress from some ivory polyester poplin.



The very psychadelic-looking fabric that is on the back row is from Hancock's.  It is one of their Linen Fancies.  The print of it is just like a knit top I have and have always loved.  I haven't the foggiest idea what I will make from it.  Any suggestions?


Now we have made it to the first row.  The green striped fabric is a polyester charmeuse from denverfabrics.com. I am thinking of making V1190 with this fabric, but I am still debating that.


To the right of the green fabric is, I think, my favorite fabric of the bunch--if you can pick a favorite fabric--isn't that like picking a favorite child?  It is bright striped silk charmeuse, also bought from denverfabrics.com.  I searched far and wide for some fabric similar to the fabric used on Kate Spade's Jeanette Striped Dress.  I am debating doing a shirt dress with the fabric like the Kate Spade dress, but at the same time, I am really liking S2177, View B for this fabric.  Readers, what do you think?



The next piece of fabric is a rayon challis by Free Spirit.  It is one of their Van Gogh splatter prints in green.  I bought it from Pattern Loft on ebay here.  I also got the pink version, too which is the last piece of fabric on the first row. 

pink splatter print

green splatter print

I first became aware of this Free Spirit Van Gogh collection on Green Apples blog.  I became obsessed with finding it, but it had sold out everywhere.  I finally came across it on ebay.  Interestingly enough, I was looking at fabric.com yesterday, and now they have it.   I am debating making V1161 from one piece of it, but I am not sure.  Whatever I make from the remaining piece is still to be decided.

     Finally, the fourth piece of fabric on the first row is a really pretty black fabric with polka dots and pleating that I got from Gorgeous Fabrics.  I have been toying with the idea of making V1176 with it, but I am not sure how the bow on that dress would work with the pleating in the fabric.



Well, I am certainly going to be busy.  I imagine some of it will have to marinate for awhile before I figure out what to do, but I am looking forward to getting started sewing .  Needless to say, I am doing a happy dance.
Thanks for reading.  Happy Sewing!!!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love that Kate Spade striped dress, I've been wanting to do a knock off as well. I can't wait to see how yours comes out!

Florencia said...

Happy B-Day!!!And Happy sewing!!! Can't wait to see this beautiful fabric come alive!

AllisonC said...

Happy birthday, what a great way to celebrate!

Irene said...

Happy birthday! You lucky, lucky girl - the fabric is all so lovely!

Amber Elayne said...

Happy birthday and what a great "gift"! lol! I think I may do the same for my next birthday.....

Gail said...

Happy birthday. Love the spatter print fabrics.

Gabrielle said...

Happy birthday - thanks for sharing your new fabrics and your inspiration dresses!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

First - Happy Birthday!

Second - what a great haul! You have some amazing pieces and some wonderful ideas for how to use them.

Third - thanks for including all the links in your blog posts. It's nice to visit some bloggers that I don't normally visit.

goldenmeans said...

Happy belated birthday Rachel! Can't wait to see what you make with all these lovely fabrics :)

Christina said...

You've got some real gems there! Enjoy sewing those, and happy birthday :)

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday! I loved reading your plans! I get so much inspiration from your sewing! I am currently getting my sewing room together since I recently moved. When I get it together I have got to get some pretty things made! ;)

Cennetta said...

Happy Belated Birthday! The fabric is beautiful.