Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lonsdale Dress

When Sewaholic first announced the Lonsdale dress, I knew I would have to have it.
It is so unique and I have never seen a style quite like it.  It has a halter front, but it has straps on the back like a sundress as well as a cute little bow.  I can't resist a bow!!
   I ordered the pattern as soon as it became available on Sewaholic.net.  When Tasia started a Sew-Along (note my badge in the upper right hand corner) it was just the motivation I needed.  Sewaholic describes the dress as being designed for a pear-shaped figure.  I apparently don't have a pear shaped figure, because had to take out alot on the front bodice. Or, does that mean I am extremely pear shaped?  I made my muslin of the bodice, and ended up having to slice out quite a bit.  I would have thought that I needed to go to a smaller size except for the fact that the back bodice was perfect without any alterations.  Here is a pic of my bodice muslin.  On the right side I have drawn in the dart that I sliced out of the bodice.

You will notice several other colors of markers.  That is because it took me several attempts to get it just right.  The next pic is the bodice pattern piece with the extra folded out.

I also had to scoop into a 7/8" seam on the front center bodice seam to take out some fullness as well as taper from 5/8" out to 1/2" seam allowance at the side seams from about bust level to the underarm.  All in all, I think I got a pretty good fit. 
    I used some wonderful cotton lawn bought from DenverFabrics.com. 
Oh my goodness, Readers, I think cotton lawn is my new favorite fabric to sew with.  It is just lovely!!!  I have some more in my stash that I plan to use for a future anthropologie knockoff. 
Here are pics of the dress:
shoes:  Paris Hilton Senorita pumps (last years birthday gift)
pink jewelry:  local store



If you notice, I need to straighten my straps a little better on the back, but I was in such a hurry to take this pic before going to church, I didn't think to check.  However, I did check before walking out the door :)
Until next time....Happy Sewing!!

21 comments:

Kelly said...

Super cute! Love your fabric choice!

AllisonC said...

Lovely dress, that looks like quite an adjustment you needed to make but you got a great fit.

Sewing Princess said...

Very lovely dress. I love the fabric you chose. All the work it took you to adjust it really paid off. I also had to take in the bodice.. I finished it today and need to take pictures still.

Shawnta said...

Your version is adorable and your gonna make me buy more fabric! I had to do a similar adjustment too. Perhaps it has something to do with our high bust measurements vs our full bust.

Eugenia said...

I love your beautiful dress - it looks so pretty in that
gorgeous leafy cotton lawn. You are seriously tempting me to get this pattern!

Kirsty said...

WOWSERS ! Your dress almost took my breath away ! You have done such a lovely job with it, the fabric is perfect and the ensemble looks lovely on you !
If I could sew half as well as you I would be sew pleased :-)

Crystal said...

The dress looks great and I like it styled with the pink accents. I am in love with this pattern, and plan on buying as soon as I can.

Irene said...

So, so pretty!

Caroline said...

Isn't this a great pattern? I really like your version. Lovely!

beurreblanc said...

That is one gorgeous sun dress. And your shoes are delightful!

Victoria said...

Lovely!!! The fabric you picked for this dress is STUNNING!!! You look wonderful. Happy Belated birthday too!

Candice said...

Very pretty!

Gail said...

Stunning in green and white.

Majid Ali said...

Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti.

Cennetta said...

Lovely dress. The dress are super cute.

SShaw said...

It turned out really cute! And it looks like all the extra work you did paid off; fit looks great.

a little sewing said...

beautiful dress, enjoy wearing it.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

This is very pretty on you!

gingermakes said...

Lovely! What a nice fabric choice! It really suits you!

Audrey said...

Really pretty dress. The print is so cool and fresh looking. I was surprised that you had to make such big changes to the pattern, but the fit is perfect.

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

You are so amazing! I can't believe all the sewing you've been doing. I'm amazed...such talent you have! Love those pink, statement bow shoes. And I love seeing your face in the pics, by the way! You're so gorgeous!