Friday, August 26, 2011

Rosette T-Shirt: Kate Spade Knockoff

Last year I saw this Kate Spade Rosette t-shirt and thought it was so pretty.  I wanted to do a replica and, fortunately, I came across a wonderful post on Adventures in Dressmaking that showed exactly how to do it.  I love it when that happens so I don't have to figure it out myself.

  A couple of years ago I bought a long-sleeved, turtleneck t-shirt off Walmart's clearance rack.  I didn't bother to try it on and when I got it home, it was too big.  I had planned to just take it up so it would fit, but when I saw this tutorial at Adventures in Dressmaking, I decided it would be perfect.  Of course, I had to let things marinate for awhile as other projects took precedence, but, finally, I made it last week.
I did not take a pic of the before shirt, but it looked something like this except with a turtleneck.  Also, my shirt is gray and navy striped:

I followed the tutorial on Adventures in Dressmaking exactly and it turned out very well.  I won't repeat the steps here because I would just be rewriting the tutorial. After I got the rosette sewn on, I tacked it down in various places so that it would lay down and not flip forward as I wore the top.
   The edges of the neck and armholes are finished with fold over elastic.  I had never used fold-over elastic before and none of my local fabric shops had any, so I bought some on etsy from Deepwater Trading.  I used just a little less than the two yards.  I was a little apprehensive since I had never used it before, but it was so easy.  There is a great video tutorial on Angry Chicken and also a how-to on Craft Stylish on how to apply it.  Here is my finished top:

front of tee



closeup of rosette


cardigan:  JCPenney
Jeans: Walmart
Belt: ebay
shoes:  Dillards

shoe closeup
Stay tuned for another Kate Spade Knockoff--Happy Sewing!!

21 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cute! I have a whole folder in my favorites and on pinterest full of ideas for sewing! This is one of them! I love the way yours turned out! I also love the shoes! Very Emma Pilsbury! :)

Sewfast said...

That is all kinds of awesome!

shams said...

Super cute!

MAD14kt said...

Well done!

toy said...

very cute!

Vanessa said...

I love your finished result!!!! And the pop of "pink" you added with the styling is so stylish! What a great way to embellish a plain T-shirt!

Cindy said...

Love the huge rosette! the whole outfit looks great.

Eugenia said...

Great job - that rosette is gorgeous!! I love it!

Sophia said...

Wow! This shirt looks fantastic! It definitely doesn't look like it started out at Wal Mart :)

Linda said...

Fantastic! You really did a great job with this. It looks great on you. Love the shoes, too.

Andrea said...

Awesome knock off!!! The outfit looks great and I LOVE the shoes.

Irene said...

Wonderful t-shirt! Love this outfit!

Jessica said...

wow, you are so talented!!! And I love how you styled it with those darling shoes!!

Sayaka said...

That is really neat!! I wish I had half that talent you do!!

Lynneb said...

Oh my gosh! LOOK how cute! I do love a great re-fashion...just finished a stripey one myself!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Another gorgeous recreation - you are talented! (And I want to steal your shoes, haha).

Style Journey said...

So darn cute! Love how you styled the shirt after too :-)

Katie said...

This looks great!!

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

Fantastic! I love the entire outfit. THose shoes! What's the brand? Must know! THey look similar to the J.Crew Penelopes that have eluded me all these years... Your legs go on for miles, dear! The whole outfit is perfect with those pops of pink!

Rachel {polkadots and puppies} said...

Um, hello, CUTENESS! :) Just discovered your blog through Molly (Anthromollogies). Wanna hear something weird? I made a knockoff of this tank too...almost exactly one year ago.

http://www.polkadotsandpuppies.com/2010/09/i-spy-diy.html

Rachel {polkadots and puppies} said...

Um, hello CUTENESS! :) Discovered you through Molly (Anthromollogies). Wanna hear something weird? I made a knockoff of this tank too...almost exactly one year ago. Great minds!

http://www.polkadotsandpuppies.com/2010/09/i-spy-diy.html