Monday, August 8, 2011

S2444: Lollipop Dress


I think Simplicity 2444 is one of the prettiest patterns ever.  The cape collar and the full skirt are just so girly.   My first attempt at it was a wadder which then seemed to lead to a series of wadders.  I decided it needed to rest for awhile before I attempted it again.   A few months ago, I came across this cotton sateen on Fashionfabricsclub.com and knew I had found the perfect fabric for it.  This fabric reminds me of lollipops, thus the name of the post.
I had to do some altering on the bodice of this dress after making a muslin.   It just had a weird fit so I had to pinch out some on the front and back bodice.  It had gaping in both the front and back neckline as well as gaping at the front part of the armholes. 
darts drawn in where gaping (front bodice)

dart drawn in where gaping  (back bodice)

folding to get rid of fullness in bodice front


folding out fullness in bodice back


When I laid out the bodice front piece on my fabric there was alot of wrinkling and bubbling in it due to the folding.  It concerned me a little, but I forced the wrinkles and bubbling towards the bust area and smooshed it down as best as I could. 
bodice front pinned to fabric

I had to fold out some equal fullness in the cape collar front and back pieces to match what I did on the front and back bodice.  I am showing on the back collar piece below, but it was basically the same process as I did on the bodice pieces:   draw in dart, fold out fullness, and smoosh down.
front bodice piece
collar back

Likewise, fullness had to be folded out of the front and back facing pieces, but that only required a straight fold as opposed to any weird angles.  I also had to taper in from a 5/8" seam to a 7/8" seam at the shoulder seam to take even more fullness out of the neck.  Then I tapered from 5/8" out to 3/8"  at the side seam from the waist to the armhole so that I could breathe.  After all of that altering, I achieved a really good fit.  The topstitching on the collar and armholes was done with orange machine embroidery thread.
Here is the finished product:
front
bracelet:  actually a necklace from JCPenney
earrings:  some my sister got tired of (I love her jewelry hand-me-downs)
shoes:  tan patent peeptoes from Steinmart
back
Happy Sewing!!!

23 comments:

Mrs. V said...

I love what you did with this pattern. I recently made a dress from this pattern, too. ( http://skindeepartist.blogspot.com/2011/07/feeling-crafty.html )

I love how fresh and summery yours looks!

sdBev said...

Wahoo, EXCELLENT finish. I love your use of pattern and fabric and your styling. This has such a wonderful summer essence.

I also appreciate seeing your alterations to the tissue pattern. The gaping problem is a frequent issue for me and so I'm really interested in your solution.

littlebetty said...

Great dress. I too had to pinch a lot of excesss out of the bodice, mainly done through removing a wedge int he centre front. I think they must have done their sizing wrong or something.

window dressing said...

Love the color and shape of this dress. I love bold colors for summer.

Eugenia said...

Gorgeous dress, really beautiful! You have achieved a wonderful fit and that fabric is perfect. I love it!

Andrea said...

That dress is beautiful!!! You did a lovely job with the fit and it looks great on you.

gwensews said...

That is a very pretty lollipop dress. Love that print!

Faye Lewis said...

Love your dress!

Jada said...

Very cute dress and fabric print.

Gail said...

I really like this on you and it is nicely made. You should go all the way with the lollipop look and add a bright belt.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Great fabric. It works perfectly with thie pattern. Good job.

Jane M said...

You look beautiful in this wonderful dress. Lovely choice of fabric for ths pattern. Bravo!

Amber Elayne said...

What a beautiful dress! I love orange lately but it lights you up!

Audrey said...

What fun fabric. It made a beautiful dress. The fit is wonderful.

stitchywitch said...

That fabric is so fun! I saw it, but I passed because I worried about the scale... but you have proven me wrong! I had trouble with excess fabric in the bodice of that pattern as well. In fact, I've noticed Simplicity in general being a bit roomy in the upper chest lately!

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

Rachel, another absolutely gorgeous dress. The fit looks perfect on you, so I think your careful alterations really paid off (this from someone who can barely hem a pair of pants).

And that print is so fun and whimsical. It gives this dress such a Kate Spade feeling!

Joyce in NC said...

Great looking dress!

Lynneb said...

I agree...that is such a feminine pattern. Your version looks great. I love the unexpected orange and fun print!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

I've said this before but you've got an awesome talent - plus an enviable closet full of fun perfect-for-you clothes!

Gabrielle said...

Well done in getting this pattern to fit you - I tried to make it a while back but my muslin revealed that the fit was the worst I've had yet from a pattern... I think the fact that you have made such a pretty dress now says more about your skills than about it being a good pattern :-)

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

This is such a beautiful dress on you! I love that you are now taking full shots of yourself...you have such a pretty face and its so nice to see it!

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

What a pretty sundress, Rachel. Perfect combo of fabric and pattern.

TööT said...

What a beautiful dress, you look stunning in it. Great pattrn!