Tuesday, August 2, 2011

S2599-Ruffle neck top

I bought this Simplicity pattern quite awhile back, but it has just languished in my stash because I like sewing  pretty dresses the best.  However, it is always nice to do something different and something that is quicker for a change.  If it has a ruffle and a bow on it, I pretty much like it.  I have had some aqua polka-dot polyester charmeuse that I bought from Hancock's a couple of years ago that has also languished in my stash, so I just decided to put the pattern and the fabric together using View E (the view pictured on the model).

fabric closeup

      This pattern was truly easy to make and even the ruffle came together easily. However, the top is rather voluminous as you can see on the model.  I debated adding the elastic casing at the waist as in View F to make it a little more fitted, but since I plan to wear it tucked in I decided not to do so.  The only thing I did differently was to serge the edge of the ruffle and then turn it down and hem it as opposed to doing a narrow hem without serging as described in the instructions.  The top is not lined, so I serged all the seams inside. 
      I am letting my dress form, Lady Burgundy, model it so you can see the entire top. 

front

back
(sorry the pic is a little blurry)


Outfit
skirt--I made this skirt a couple of years before I started blogging.  It is a lightweight polyester with a quilted effect to it.
Belt - Charlotte Russe
Tan patent peeptoes-Steinmart
Necklace-JCPenney

  On a side note, my birthday is coming up next week and I have already picked out what I want.  Is it a shiny piece of jewelry?  Is it a statement handbag?  Well, of course not---it is fabric--but some really nice fabric. Swooooooonnnnn!!!! My husband told me awhile back to order the fabric I had been wanting and it could be for my birthday.  However, he said I could not sew it until my birthday and it had to be wrapped up so I could open it.  Isn't that sweet? It is sitting on the floor in my living room wrapped up in boxes staring at me.  My cat has tried to pull off the bows on the packages.  I have big plans for this fabric that I will share with you in a couple of weeks after I get to open it.  Until next time...Happy Sewing!!

19 comments:

beurreblanc said...

Another great outfit. The top looks lovely. This style has tempted me for a while, perhaps you've inspired me to actually make it!
Enjoy your birthday.
-Sewingelle

Gail said...

Pretty top. It works well with the mustard skirt.

Jane M said...

Lovely top and wonderful outfit on you.

Lynneb said...

Great top, Rachel. very pretty.

Jada said...

Cute top! I have that pattern also. After seeing your cute top I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the review.

Renata said...

The colors are so fresh, just right for summer. I really love how the belt pull the outfit together.

Bernice said...

I just sewed up this very pattern in a blue polka-dot print this week as well. How funny to have come across yours. It looks really lovely on you, especially paired with the yellow. I actually adjusted the neckline to a V and added a flounce. I did make up the same version as yours in black last year.

Andrea said...

Super cute outfit! That pattern has also been languishing in my stash, I really need to sew it up. Great job, yours looks adorable. Can't wait to see your mystery fabric. :)

Sophia said...

Lovely top and you paired it so nicely with the skirt and belt. You look so summery and cheery!

Don't you just love birthday fabric? Enjoy!

Rosie said...

Absolutely lovely! The color suits you!

Amanda S. said...

This top is very pretty and the color lovely! Coincidentally, I was just pondering this pattern as well, but it got passed over for a pretty dress. I can't wait to see your fabric, and happy birthday!

gwensews said...

That's very pretty. I love the ruffled business around the neckline.

Sheila said...

Pretty top and it looks great with the skirt. Happy Early Birthday!!!

Irene said...

Very, very pretty!

Rosy said...

Oh Rachel! This blouse top is so, so pretty ... the beautiful fabric and the steering wheel on the neckline is beautiful and the skirt suit with contrast color as ... Great!

sewphisticated said...

Hi Rachel. Really cute top! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my Design Your Look Maxi; I truly appreciate it. I've looked through some of your older post and really love your style...I am now a follower/lurker/commenter. Lol.

Laura (GeoInCalifornia) said...

Your husband is a funny guy Rachel! You however are amazing. I definitely would have gone for a finished Product for my B-day. But then I can't sew worth beans. Only modest alterations.

The Skirt and Blouse outfit? Wow Rachel. I am all over the Blue Polkas with the Yellow Skirt. You are amazingly talenting and beautiful in all your creations.

When you speak in sewing terms I get all nervous. Even though I have heard the word serging, I have no idea what it is. And I used to watch by Mother sew my cloths on her old Singer. You know, so old the parts are actually metal. She still has and uses the machine, although rarely. I don't think you can even get parts for it anymore.

What is the machine that you use? I am thinking about getting a Brother. But I will check them all out with consumer reports before I buy. I have stalling for years on the purchase. I know I will never use it for making entire pieces of clothing. But, I would highly value your opinion on the subject.

Rachel said...

Laura,
The serger is use is by Babylock. I have two: one is an Evolve and the other is an Imagine. I recommend both, but the Evolve is much more advanced. It will also do coverstitching which is seen on a lot of hems on knit dresses. The sewing machine I used is also by Babylock. It is an Esante. It is not only a sewing machine but also and embroidery machine. I have another machine that I use that is an Elna 6500 Heirloom Edition. I bought it when I was doing alot of smocking and sewing for children, but I love it for adult clothing, too. If I can be of any further help, just let me know.

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

I full on love this blouse, especially with the lemon skirt. Looking fantastic.