Friday, September 23, 2011

B5674 - first garment with Birthday fabric (anthro knockoff)

Awhile back I got some fabric for my birthday  that is just like the fabric used in the anthropologie Gathered Hemlock Dress.  It is a rayon/lycra knit from Emmaonesock.com. 



anthropologie Gathered Hemlock Dress

I looked at several dress patterns to try and figure out how I would make a close replica, but about that time Butterick came out with B5674.  As soon as I saw it, I knew it was the perfect pattern.


The bodice is different than the original dress, but the wrap skirt is almost dead on.  The pattern is rated as "Easy", but I disagree.  There are several twists and turns in lining the bodice that I think should give it an "Average" rating.  All in all, the pattern was easy enough if you are experienced in sewing.  I cut one size smaller than I usually do, because the pattern is for "moderate knits" and my fabric is very stretchy. I was a little nervous since I did not make a muslin and I was working with more expensive fabric than I usually work with, but it turned out well.  WHEW!!!   I followed the instructions exactly without making any alterations.  I have only ever muslined a knit dress once because I am not sure how to do it other than buying double the amount of fabric I am going to use.  With a woven, I just use some cheap broadcloth or linen from my stash.  Readers, how do you muslin knit dresses?  I would love to know because I know my luck with them is going to eventually run out.  Here is the finished product.
front

back

outfit for work
Cardigan:  Old Navy
Belt:  Old Navy
Shoes:  Anthropologie (Anniversary Gift)
Necklace: JCPenney


Happy Sewing!!!

32 comments:

Manecoarse said...

Your dress is gorgeous. I just picked this pattern up this week. So glad I did!

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

Gorgeous! You've done a wonderful job.

MAD14kt said...

Well done!

Rebecca said...

Cute Dress! I love this fabric too!

Faye Lewis said...

It's beautiful especially with that cardi.

Aminat said...

beautiful dress, love your fabric

Amanda S. said...

HOW PRETTY!!! The colors in this fabric are so lovely, I can see why cutting into it made you nervous. I've never muslined a knit dress, but I've got some silk jersey in my stash that I will be making a muslin for before I cut into it. I'm planning to use some rayon-type knit that I don't like anymore because of the pilling factor, which I kept specifically for that purpose. Maybe you've got something in your stash already that you don't like and can use up this way.

waikikimum said...

Beautiful dress, beautiful fabric. Congratulations and I hear you on muslining a knit garment.

toy said...

this dress looks amazing on you, I am so happy it fit and worked out well, whew, is right?
about the muslin, when Joanns have there sale on red tag fabric pick up a few yards of some cheapo knits just for muslins, I get their jet set which is a lightweight jersey with my coupon and use that for muslins also. HTH

Sophia said...

Wow! What a gorgeous dress. That fabric is ridiculously beautiful. I love the cardigan you paired with the dress, too.

Sharon said...

It's beautiful! and I STILL get nervous cutting into expensive fabric.

Candice said...

This dress is fantastic,simply fantastic!

peacockchic said...

very nice!! i am drooling over that fabric

Shawnta said...

I've been drooling over that fabric since you showed up the birthday haul!!! The dress is a perfect fit for such a nice fabric.

Allison said...

Wow, that dress looks great on you! That fabric is just beautiful. I have seen this pattern and passed it up but you're making me reconsider!
I pick up real cheap knits either from Joann's when they have their 50% off clearance sale, or sometimes I actually find random knits at the Salvation Army.
Once I made a practice dress out of a jersey sheet, also found at a thrift store.

Laura (GeoInCalifornia) said...

I so wanted to love the Gathered Hemlock. Nothing like have a large Orange Flower resembling a Fried Egg draped over one of the Girls.

Your knock off is egg-ceptional Rachel. The outfit really shines with the Bright Green Cardi and Necklace. Happy Anniversary!

cyberdaze said...

I prefer your version to the original! What a fun dress.

I also use cheap knit fabric for muslins but it's tricky to find one with the same degree of stretch as the fashion fabric so I often don't bother.

MySummerTouch said...

What a fun dress! You look great in it!!
What I'm doing when I don't have the right fabric for muslin or just don't want to make one - I just measure the pattern and compare it to my measurements + ease. Or lay the pattern against my rtie and true pattern, so I can see the difference. And put the pattern to myself - make tissue fitting.

Eugenia said...

I find it can be very tricky when it comes to working out the sizing for knits - they can be so unpredictable. However, your instincts for this dress were spot on because the fit is fabulous - exactly the right amount of drape and very flattering. As for the fabric it is divine - exactly the kind of print that I am irresistibly drawn to. Your dress is gorgeous and looks like something that would be very expensive to buy!

Marybeth said...

Gorgeous! Happy Birthday :))

Gordita said...

Great dress! The fabric is beautiful, and such a close match to the Anthro dress. Fantastic.

meli88a said...

Knock offs are fun, but how awesome is it that you have the ACTUAL fabric used in he original? Go you, and happy birthday!

alethia said...

Awesome and the fabric is so pretty.

Natasha said...

The dress came out beautiful and the fabric is perfect. Good job!

Audrey said...

It looks fantastic. So pretty. Great knockoff!

senaSews said...

Fantastic dress. Love it with the cardigan. I have this pattern as well. You really made me want to sew this, too.

Gail said...

I have this patter too. Like senasews you've inspired me to move it up the list. I love it made up as a more casual dress than the pattern jacket suggests.

AllisonC said...

Gorgeous dress, you chose the perfect pattern for your knock off and it fits you perfectly too.

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

Holy cow! another amazing home run. I can't believe you found almost identical fabric. You must have a super-power....This dress is amazing. Looks gorgeous, and your styling of it is so fun!

Lindsey A. Turner said...

So Pretty! I love the floral fabric!
great job!
an
Lindsey Turner
http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

Lynneb said...

Rachael! That is a seriously gorgeous dress!

twobutterflies said...

Wow!!!