Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Kate Spade Skirt Knockoff--M5804

The first time I saw this Kate Spade "Easton" skirt, I knew I had to make a knockoff. It is just so sunny and pretty.
My quest began with finding the right fabric.  I searched and searched, but I could not find anything.  Then, when I was looking for something else completely, I found the perfect fabric on fabric.com.  This is how it usually happens.  It is Michael Miller "Sunshine" Stripe.  I bought it last year, but as is usually the case, it had to marinate for awhile in my stash while I worked on other things.  When I finally decided to make the skirt, I just decided to eliminate the bodice of M5804 and use the waistband and skirt portion. I could not find a close enough skirt pattern in my pattern stash, and I did not need to want to go buy a new pattern.  I need to work on sewing up what I have.  We'll see how long that lasts.  HA!
I had to tweak the waistband a little to make it curve into my waist by tapering into a deeper seam on its side seams.  I inserted a back zipper and lined the skirt. The waistband was faced and the lining attached to the facing to achieve a nice clean finish on the inside.   

I studied the bow on the Kate Spade skirt and tried to mimic it as closely as possible.  It was just a matter of sewing strips of fabric together and interfacing the "bow" portion so that it would not droop.  


I am wearing it for the first time to work today. If you notice, my stripes have a bit more of a wave to them than the original Kate Spade skirt because of the bias nature of the pattern.  I am happy I got this made before the Fall weather begins to set in.  Of course, here in south Alabama, it will be November before it gets really cool, so I am having a hard time getting into Fall sewing.  

Here is how I wore the skirt:

Top, S2633 blogged about here
Tan patent peeptoes
Bib Necklace, F21


28 comments:

Lori said...

Stunning skirt, your entire outfit is darling.

Crystal said...

Fantastic skirt! I really love it paired with that awesome blouse you made - your version made me buy the pattern. Actually your version made me stop regretting that impulse purchase. Wouldn't have thought of pairing the two greens, but its lovely. I love interesting color combos.

Amanda S. said...

What a darling skirt! I still love that top of yours - looks like you ironed down the ruffle, right? I've got to get around to making it...

AllisonC said...

I love your cute skirt, the whole outfit in fact looks great. I'm having a hard time getting into fall sewing too.

sewphisticated said...

I don't comment much, BUT this is exceptional. Good job!

Rebecca said...

This turned out adorably!! It looks very nice. :]

Victoria said...

You are without a doubt the "Knock-Off Queen"! Super cute skirt! Love it and the color!!!

Gail said...

Nicely done. I like the way you've styled it.

cyberdaze said...

Love it! The bow is perfect. Also I prefer the stripes on yours. I think the curve adds interest.

Sewtellme said...

I LOVE that skirt!

toy said...

absolutely Adorable

Aminat said...

Love your skirt....Absolutely stunning on you...

didyoumakethat said...

That is a beautiful, beautiful skirt. 'I want one!' Can you hear me wailing?

Vanessa said...

Your skirt looks so fresh and beautiful! Wait, you look so fresh and beautiful too! I really enjoy seeing how you interpret knock-offs, they come out so well.

Summer Flies said...

Wow your skirt (and everything I have just looked at) is really fantastic. I really love your fabric choices for the last 6 or 7 outfits. You have wonderful taste and make beautiful things. As summer is coming (yea!) I will look at your blog for inspiration... and boy I love your shoes!

She Says said...

Adorable!

gwensews said...

Nice job! It's a terrific interpretation.

Grace said...

this is fantastic!! nice work.

Eugenia said...

Fabulous skirt - just as lovely (if not lovelier!) than the original. I love the whole outfit - it looks so fun and 'put together'.

Shannon said...

I love this- it looks great on you! And good for you for using a pattern you had on hand! I'm trying to do that, too, but I keep getting distracted by all the new stuff coming out. Great job- that is a fantastic skirt!

Molly at Anthromollogies said...

Oh my gosh! I just died. THat is THE CUTEST skirt. I want one! Ummm, are you taking orders? for reals? You're so darling. The entire outfit is a knock-out. That skirt will go with EVERYTHING. You amaze me!

montanachic said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Another great skirt!

senaSews said...

Fantastic skirt. Looks so nice and fun. Great knock-off!

Lynneb said...

It's SO cute! Well done, Rachel!

Sophia said...

That is a beautiful, eye-catching skirt. Good job!

Royaltygirl said...

I love the style of this skirt! I have done a 'knock-off' of sorts that I have been selling on my website. It is so popular I have made over 100 skirts!! I don't put the bow and my skirt is fuller and pleated. It is nice to see another version!
xoxox,
Sandee

Cennetta said...

You are so good. Two great looking knock off garments. Love them.