Tuesday, September 13, 2011

S2281 - Cynthia Rowley Dress

I bought this Cynthia Rowley pattern when it first came out because I loved the cut out shoulders and the neck strap that ties in the back.  It sat for awhile in my pattern stash until I could find the right fabric.


I wasn't really sure what I even wanted to make it from until I was surfing around denverfabrics one day and came across this ikat cotton lawn.  It has teal, black, light gray, and white making up the design.   Cotton lawn is my new favorite fabric.  It is so wonderful to work with in that it is not too wrinkly and sews so easily.
    I cut my normal size, but if I had it to do over I would cut a size smaller.  I think this pattern runs big.  I did my normal folding out of fullness in the front and back bodices, but then I had to do an inch seam on the sides as opposed to the 5/8 in.  Then to correct for a little fullness in the back, I tapered in from a 5/8 in seam to a 7/8 in seam towards the bottom of the back bodice.
   Also, I was so disappointed because the instructions for the view D that  I sewed did not have the instructions included.  They only give instructions for View A/B.  I had read a review of this pattern already that had indicated these instructions were missing, so I was prepared....but still disappointed.  I basically just matched up dots and followed my nose.  It wasn't too difficult, but just aggravating.   I only lined the bodice as the instructions indicated so I just serged the seams in the skirt.  I omitted the applique at the waist.  Overall I am happy with the way it turned out.


I am trying to come up with ways to style it for Fall/Winter.    I am thinking of incorporating some coral colors into it.  Until next time, Happy Sewing!!

23 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

That is too cute!

Candice said...

This is beautiful!

Gail said...

This is a favourite of mine among your creations. Love the fabric and great fit.

Shannon said...

This looks gorgeous on you! I think coral would look great with it!

NancyDaQ said...

That is so darling! I love this pattern and hope to make it sometime in the not too distant future.

Sewtellme said...

I love it! What does "ikat" mean. I know what to expect to see but just don't know what the real meaning is. Anyone?

MySummerTouch said...

|What timing! I really love this dress on you! Could we see the back please?
And please vote for this pattern, so it will be available for me to sew! See here http://mysummertouch.blogspot.com/2011/09/vote-for-cynthia-rowley-2281-to-be.html

Linda T said...

Oh how cute! Perfect fabric/pattern match. I must pick up this one, of not for me, for DGD.

Rebecca said...

So cute! You did a wonderful job!

House of Pinheiro said...

I really love it,I have this pattern and you inspired to make it sooner.. now to fabric hunting..

toy said...

wow, you make this look good, great choice of fabric because I didn't like this pattern at all when I first saw it

Vanessa said...

LOVE it!!! The fabric is awesome, and the dress looks so great on you!

Rachel said...

sewtellme,
I have no idea what ikat means. I am like you in that I just know what it looks like when I see it. Maybe someone knows that can share.

grace - stripes and sequins said...

This is incredible! Fantastic work.

meli88a said...

This is adorable. I love this pattern and wondered what it looks like sewn up. Now I know! So Cute!

AllisonC said...

How odd and annoying that half the instructions are missing, but you did a great job and the finished dress is really lovely.

senaSews said...

Beautiful dress. What a nice fabric and pattern matching.

Eugenia said...

I love this dress - the ikat fabric is gorgeous and so right for this style!

peacockchic said...

this dress is soooo beautiful. I have a creative mind but I can get over straight copying your rendition of this dress....hahaha. Love the ikat and it goes great with the pattern. Perfection!

Tabitha said...

That dress is amazing and the print is so Cynthia Rowley. Nice job!

Espirito Errante said...

Hi, I love this Pattern!And I love black and white, so I also like the fabric. Keep sewing so well! Kisses from Portugal!

Donna said...

Your dress is lovely and I love your fabric choice. It really suits you. I've just made a Cynthia Rowley Simplicity pattern for the first time, though a much simpler pattern than this.

Cennetta said...

Love it. You look great! Too bad about the instructions for view C. This pattern is in my collection too. One day I'll make it too. Have a great weekend, Rachel.