Monday, September 26, 2011

V1253: A failure for me

I set out with such high hopes for V1253 when I started it a couple of weeks ago.
It is so pretty on the model, but I wish I had paid a little closer attention to the armholes before I started.  Look at the back of the dress in the picture above and notice how low the armholes are.  I don't know if that would have stopped me, but maybe it would have been a cautionary flag.  I spent two weeks making this dress.  My inspiration for it was the color blocking on this beautiful Skyscraper Dress from anthropologie.  I bought some gray rayon knit from fabricmartfabrics.com and some black rayon knit from moodfabrics.com. They are both lightweight.   I got my tricot knit lining from fabric.com as well as the organza for the petticoat.  I think that the problem with this dress is that there are SO MANY gathers/ruching, which makes the dress heavy due to the amount of fabric.  The back skirt alone consists of two panels.  If I had it to do over (and I won't do it again), I would probably just use one back skirt panel.  When I got through with the dress, it fit, but there were some problems. The problem was that the armholes were too low which was made worse by the heaviness of the dress.  While I had the dress on, I could feel the heaviness of the fabric pulling at the armholes.  I used the suggested type of fabric, so I don't want to blame it on the fabric.  Also, try as I might, I could not get the armhole facing to attach appropriately.  When I got it attached, it kept flipping out, even after I topstitched it.  I attribute this to the heaviness of the dress.  Also, at this point the side of my bra was showing.  I would take a picture of the armhole issue, but I don't want to make all of you have to look at my armpit, nor do I want a pic of my bra strap showing going out over the internet.  Tee Hee!!  Other than the armhole problems, the dress fits me.  GRRRRRRR!!!!! I was depressed over this, but now I am irritated.
     I would love to know if anyone else is working on this dress and what your experience is/was.  I was so excited about it having a dress with a petticoat and color blocking, which is so popular this fall.   Is it a problem with the pattern or something I did wrong?  At least this wasn't some of my birthday fabric or I would really be mad.  Also, does anyone know of any possible way I could salvage the armholes and make them higher and prevent the facing from flipping out?  I have tried to imagine how I could attach some fabric to the armhole, but I am not coming up with anything.  I also considered taking out the seam on the shoulder straps (if you can call them that) and shortening them .  I think the pattern called them the "upper bodice".  The problem with that, though, is the overlap at the front center bodice.  That was not the easiest thing to do or to figure out from the instructions.  I thought about wearing a black t-shirt under the dress to compensate for the armhole issue, but I just don't know if that would look right.  Even with that, there is still the problem of the armhole facing flipping out.  This is all just making me want to flip out!!!  If I am not able to salvage this dress, at least I can use the skirt portion to make a knit top of some type.  There is most definitely enough fabric.
front
back

    Next up for me is a dress out of a woven fabric.  I had planned on making another of the new Vogues with the gathering/ruching, but I am a little gun shy right now.   This was the second knit dress in a row so I need something different.   I am going to use my royal blue gabardine fabric that I got for my birthday.  If I am successful with it, I will make another of the Vogues.

17 comments:

Marina v.K. said...

I like your dress very much, and one thing that will definetely help avoid the weight of the dress pull the bodice down is a waist stay. Try to search on Threads magazine website - they may have a tutorial! Good luck!

MAD14kt said...

Don't we all hate these moments. I had one a week ago. You will ACE the next one.

meli88a said...

that is so disappointing... it looks like one of many flops I've had. We've all been there!

AllisonC said...

I love what you have done with the different colours so I hope you can find a way to fix it. With all the ruching on the bodice I think a patch of some sort to fill in the low underarm wouldn't be all that noticeable?

Gail said...

I love your design concept. Becky at http://sew-and-so.blogspot.com/2011/09/never-thought-id-have-to-make-that.html is working on this dress at the moment. She might be about to assist.

Karin said...

Your colour blocking idea is so creative! I hope you can salvage the dress. I bought a similar Tracey Reese pattern that a few people on the web have had problems with. It seems that vogue added ease to the pattern bodice, when of course negative ease is what is required. Now I am trepidatious to start. I do hope you can save this project because it looks so promising. Good luck!

Eugenia said...

it's so frustrating when things don't work out as they should have. And your dress looks so lovely - the way you have combined the colours is beautiful. Have you tried the dress wearing a low back bra - the sides are always much lower than regular ones so it might not show? I know this wouldn't help with the facings flipping out - but you might then think of a way of fixing that.

AnniinBC said...

I love the vision you had. I also want to suggest a waist stay. I read recently on a blog somewhere that waist stays are designed to keep the bodice from pulling down in the case of a heavier skirt fabric. it might be worth a try.

senaSews said...

Oh, how frustrating. I loved the pattern from the beginning, but never thought of it as a colorblocked dress. You opened my eyes to have a totally new look at the pattern! Love your version and hope that you will figure out a solution to save it!

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

I like this patter and I have the Anthro dress is on my inspiration board, but seeing your concept has made me re-think how to combine them. I like the concept. I agree, a waist stay may help.
BTW-I sent you an email asking if you wanted some of the snakeskin that Mimi used for her skirt. You can send a PM to my email addy: creativediva728@yahoo.com

stitchywitch said...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience - I know how that is! I have that pattern, and I've been putting it off for precisely those reasons - it seems like it would be heavy and pull down on the sides. I've had luck sometimes with shortening a dress at the shoulders to deal with fabric sag. I'd also recommend a low back bra, or one of those converter straps for a regular bra (I got one at Macys.) I really like the color blocking, and I hope you can salvage something!

patsijean said...

I definitely agree with attaching a waist stay which is often recommended with most dresses. Also, is it possible to make a boned under-structure to the bodice and attach it?

Lynneb said...

Oh, no! I'm so sad for you. The concept was great, though.

House of Pinheiro said...

dont let this get you down ! Was a good learning curve... and thanks so much for sharing

lyounger said...

Don't give up just yet! Let it sit a while, then try the waist stay, then you could also try cutting it off and making it into a top (wear with slacks or crop pants, which would make it lighter) or also, you could try a matching light gray long sleeve shirt that you would wear underneath...The vision you had behind it is fantastic!!!

poppykettle said...

Oh dear... I feel your frustration. I'm having the same problem with Vogue 1218. I started out with high spirits and full of inspiration, and now it can't even move me in the slightest.
Hopefully you can resurect yours1

MySummerTouch said...

I'm sorry about this dress! But it would be nice to see it on you, maybe with a top underneath and without your head in the picture. I'd contacted Vogue team to have them explain how it should be sewn properly - they have responsibility for the pattern!