It is so pretty on the model, but I wish I had paid a little closer attention to the armholes before I started. Look at the back of the dress in the picture above and notice how low the armholes are. I don't know if that would have stopped me, but maybe it would have been a cautionary flag. I spent two weeks making this dress. My inspiration for it was the color blocking on this beautiful Skyscraper Dress from anthropologie. I bought some gray rayon knit from fabricmartfabrics.com and some black rayon knit from moodfabrics.com. They are both lightweight. I got my tricot knit lining from fabric.com as well as the organza for the petticoat. I think that the problem with this dress is that there are SO MANY gathers/ruching, which makes the dress heavy due to the amount of fabric. The back skirt alone consists of two panels. If I had it to do over (and I won't do it again), I would probably just use one back skirt panel. When I got through with the dress, it fit, but there were some problems. The problem was that the armholes were too low which was made worse by the heaviness of the dress. While I had the dress on, I could feel the heaviness of the fabric pulling at the armholes. I used the suggested type of fabric, so I don't want to blame it on the fabric. Also, try as I might, I could not get the armhole facing to attach appropriately. When I got it attached, it kept flipping out, even after I topstitched it. I attribute this to the heaviness of the dress. Also, at this point the side of my bra was showing. I would take a picture of the armhole issue, but I don't want to make all of you have to look at my armpit, nor do I want a pic of my bra strap showing going out over the internet. Tee Hee!! Other than the armhole problems, the dress fits me. GRRRRRRR!!!!! I was depressed over this, but now I am irritated.
I would love to know if anyone else is working on this dress and what your experience is/was. I was so excited about it having a dress with a petticoat and color blocking, which is so popular this fall. Is it a problem with the pattern or something I did wrong? At least this wasn't some of my birthday fabric or I would really be mad. Also, does anyone know of any possible way I could salvage the armholes and make them higher and prevent the facing from flipping out? I have tried to imagine how I could attach some fabric to the armhole, but I am not coming up with anything. I also considered taking out the seam on the shoulder straps (if you can call them that) and shortening them . I think the pattern called them the "upper bodice". The problem with that, though, is the overlap at the front center bodice. That was not the easiest thing to do or to figure out from the instructions. I thought about wearing a black t-shirt under the dress to compensate for the armhole issue, but I just don't know if that would look right. Even with that, there is still the problem of the armhole facing flipping out. This is all just making me want to flip out!!! If I am not able to salvage this dress, at least I can use the skirt portion to make a knit top of some type. There is most definitely enough fabric.
Next up for me is a dress out of a woven fabric. I had planned on making another of the new Vogues with the gathering/ruching, but I am a little gun shy right now. This was the second knit dress in a row so I need something different. I am going to use my royal blue gabardine fabric that I got for my birthday. If I am successful with it, I will make another of the Vogues.