Monday, January 23, 2012

Burda Style 8-2009-12: Purple Leopard Double Knit

Readers, thanks so much for the kind comments and welcome back comments on my previous post.  It feels so good to be back blogging.

And, we have another installment of a garment made during the time I wasn't blogging...

I actually wore this dress to church yesterday, so I thought it would be a good time to snap a pic and blog about it.   I have long loved this dress pattern that appeared in the August 2009 Burda Style magazine.
line drawing
8-2009-128
I just adore the shape of the dress.  I really like the fabric that is used in the magazine, but I already have two dresses out of similar fabric, so I figured I didn't need a third.  I just let the magazine sit and bake until I found the right fabric.  Well, sometime last year fabric.com had a knit sale and I fell in love a purple leopard double knit.   I love purple and I love leopard, so it was the perfect marriage. I was not sure what to make from it at the time, but I knew I had to have it.  Then Jessica, at Green Apples, decided to make a sheath dress from it. 
As soon as I read that, I knew immediately that I would make my long, loved Burda pattern from this fabric.  A sheath dress from double knit had never crossed my mind. 
      I had never sewn a double knit until this one.  I was kind of nervous, but after 12 years of sewing, I figured it was time.  I read up on double knits.  One of the best pieces of info I read is Gertie's Field Notes on Double Knits.  The fact that I could treat a double knit virtually like a woven was helpful.  This fabric has a little stretch to it, but not alot.  I just plunged in and cut out my usual Burda size.  This fabric sewed up easily and I did not have to make any alterations except that I omitted the zipper.  Since there is a little stretch to the fabric, I decided to just pull the dress over my head.  The dress is not lined so I wore a slip.   I chose not to line it since I was working with a knit and I hardly ever line my knit dresses.  I wore a black patent bow belt I bought a few months back from Forever 21 instead of making the one that comes with the pattern.
   I LOVE this dress!!! Double knit fits very well.  It is a little warm, though, because in deep south Alabama where I live, we have been having a winter heat wave.  It was 74 yesterday and it supposed to be 78 later this week. 
front
back
On my monitor, the purple is showing up kind of gray-ish, but it is really not.  It is actually a very pretty shade of purple.  
  Speaking of Burda Style magazine, I let my subscription lapse over a year ago, but I am so impressed with the new February issue, that I am thinking of resubscribing.  I will give them a couple of more issue, though, before I decide.  Happy Sewing!!!

13 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Very nice! I really like this design in doubleknit. We are having a warm winter here in Texas as well. I think I've worn a winter coat maybe twice so far but I am NOT complaining!

Lynneb said...

That is a very pretty dress and it looks good on you, Rachel. I was thinking about how much double knit has changed in the years since I started sewing...we certainly never had purple leopard print!

Nay said...

I love it!

Vanessa said...

I remember that dress! I also remember liking the style myself. You did a nice job, and I like the fabric you chose.

Faye Lewis said...

It's a beautiful dress and beautiful fit.

gwensews said...

That dress fits you perfectly. What a good job of fitting and sewing.

Gordita said...

I seriously love this dress! The fabric is gorgeous.

Shannon said...

This looks fabulous on you! The knit fabric was the perfect choice!

prttynpnk said...

Perfect fabric, lovely fit...feel my envy!

poppykettle said...

That dress shape on you is fabulous! Love the fabric choice too :)

Bri said...

This fabric is so pretty and sounds even prettier since you're saying it's even more purple! You look fabulous, the dress fits your beautifully and love the belt you chose with this too!

Cindy Ann said...

How pretty! I was looking at this pattern just last night. I love your version. As I live in the Pensacola area, I feel your pain. I'm almost glad I never finished that UFO coat in my sewing closet. I'd never had a chance to wear it this winter.

Rosy said...

You definitely made ​​a perfect marriage between Burda pattern and the fabric chosen, this model will return shortly to my closet back in winter version, so I am very happy that you refreshed my eye with it. Beautiful work! Best Fit. Love the color of the fabric if it is a bit more purple than the photo.